Genealogy - who are your ancestors?

I've always been interested in genealogy, but I don't have the money for that kind of venture... If any of you with a subscription to one of those sites would be willing to help out, I'd definitley appreciate it.

I have a paid subscription to ancestry.com. I just did a quick search of the name Tidwell in Clay Co TN. I think the subscription is $24.95 per month. I have access to every census from 1790 to 1930 plus birth, death, and marriage records. They also have a large collection of church records and obits.
Oh, OK. I've been there before but never signed up for the subscription. Maybe someday. Thanks, though!

Thomas (spelled Thomis) and Nancy V. are Noah's parents. Thomas was born in 1849 and Nancy was born in 1851....
Too cool. Does it say where or just Clay County? How far back does it go?

I've always been interested in genealogy, but I don't have the money for that kind of venture... If any of you with a subscription to one of those sites would be willing to help out, I'd definitley appreciate it.
I'll be happy to help if I can. Just let me know who to look for (PM me if you like).

Oh, OK. I've been there before but never signed up for the subscription. Maybe someday. Thanks, though!

Too cool. Does it say where or just Clay County? How far back does it go?
They are in District 3 in both census. I'm not sure how the districts were divided in Clay County at the time.

I tried to find Thomas in the 1860 census with no luck (so far, sometimes you have to try different spellings). In 1910 he said that he and his father were born in Tennessee, and his mother in Mississippi. His wife Nancy was born in TN, her father in NC and her mother in Ireland.

MBRO: You freakin' RULE. :rock2:

Trying to piece this together... Nancy (g-g-grandmother) was born in Tennessee in 1851 and her mother was born in Ireland, we'll say 20-25 years before Nancy... so sometime between 1826 and 1831 they (Nancy, and her assuming her family) came over from Ireland. Now I'm getting somewhere!

Thanks so much man. If I knew you drank and if I was old enough to buy one, I'd buy you a beer or your favorite alcoholic beverage right now!

This guy is hard to track. In 1880 Thomas and family are in Monroe Co., KY. There he lists his birth state as MS.

Thanks for the PM info, MBRO. From what I could deduce, most (all?) of my grandma's ancestors came to Ohio and Pennsylvania from northern Germany a few years after the Civil War.

This guy is hard to track. In 1880 Thomas and family are in Monroe Co., KY. There he lists his birth state as MS.

Thomas Tidwell married Nancy Gaddy on Dec 5 1870 in Stewart County Tennessee.
Those Tidwells got around back in the day!

Gaddy, hmm... I'll do some research on that name.

Stewart County... isn't that near Clarkesville?

Thanks again, guys. :rock2:

I've followed the path of my GGGrandaddie's regiment at Chickamauga (58th NC) and his capture at a CSA hospital in Oxford GA. If you have a name and a probable location, you can research enlistment records and such.

Growing up in Kingsport, we were very aware of the Melungeons. They say that both Elvis and Ava Gardner were of Melungeon extraction. I say way to go Melungeons!

I am a descendant of Lord Culpepper, Governor of Virginia when it was a colony in the late 17th Century. Also supposedly related to Thomas Jefferson, though the connection is a bit loose.
Cite your source please.

Fortunately for me some distant relative with a lot of time on her hands published an exhaustive family history with a full family tree going back to my earliest American ancestor who showed up in Charleston in the 1760s having come from the northern part of Ireland with other Scots-Irish who received protestant land grants. The book was current through most of my generation so I did not have to do any kind of research whatsoever.

Fortunately for me some distant relative with a lot of time on her hands published an exhaustive family history with a full family tree going back to my earliest American ancestor who showed up in Charleston in the 1760s having come from the northern part of Ireland with other Scots-Irish who received protestant land grants. The book was current through most of my generation so I did not have to do any kind of research whatsoever.
Ya braggart.

Did they go to the western portion of South Carolina with many other Scots-Irish including some of mine?

Cite your source please.

I know there was something online about it for the family. I'll see if I can find it for you and PM you.

I did go to my grandmother's funeral last year (her last name was Culpepper) up around Macon. Went back to the family house up there and drove home on the Bruce B Culpepper highway, named for an uncle.

I know there was something online about it for the family. I'll see if I can find it for you and PM you.

I did go to my grandmother's funeral last year (her last name was Culpepper) up around Macon. Went back to the family house up there and drove home on the Bruce B Culpepper highway, named for an uncle.
Actually being even remotely related to one of our founding fathers is pretty remarkable LAW.I actually visited St. Pauls Chapel in NYC this year , located directly across from the World TradeCenter Complex, I was taken back a little whe I realized George Washington had attended church there for two years when NYC was the capitol and they still had he pew he sat in there.Simply amazing.

The Jefferson thing seems to be quite thin and from what I read many people's families claim somewhere along the line to have a link to him. So, I'm a little skeptical, actually.

Very true. Everyone loves to claim Jefferson.

Virginia is a difficult state to connect lines since many people named children very common Anglo names and first cousins born around the same time often had the same names.

My favorite myth is that people claim they are related to John Smith and Pocahontas. Besides her helping Smith, there's little info on them being very intimately involved and actually having children. If you're related to Pocahontas, it would be through her actual husband John Rolfe. Being related to him gives you two things: 1)The oldest surviving line of colonists in this country and 2)the man who single-handedly saved tobacco in this country and giving us cigarettes and tobacco lawsuits.

Anyone else get the family name bastardized by immigration officials?

One of the names on my maternal side was Leiferkuht.
After immigrating, they became Livengood. Not very much on spelling, those immigration folks...

Anyone else get the family name bastardized by immigration officials?

One of the names on my maternal side was Leiferkuht.
After immigrating, they became Livengood. Not very much on spelling, those immigration folks...
Part of the family in the States wound up with the spelling "Weems". It is pronounced the same, so I guess it was immigration that caused the change in spelling.

VN Store

Back