Get Behind Coach Heupel

I'm not going to knock anyone for being skeptical of the hire either. I'm not even going to knock anyone for thinking it was a mistake and having a negative impression of it either.

But if you're response to a call to back the new Coach and give him the benefit of the doubt was a definitive NO and immediately began crapping on the program with drama queen posts....well then GFY, you were a $hitty fan back then. Choke on your words before you climb back up on the bandwagon.

I'm not going to knock anyone for being skeptical of the hire either. I'm not even going to knock anyone for thinking it was a mistake and having a negative impression of it either.

But if you're response to a call to back the new Coach and give him the benefit of the doubt was a definitive NO and immediately began crapping on the program with drama queen posts....well then GFY, you were a $hitty fan back then. Choke on your words before you climb back up on the bandwagon.
Man I’m gonna agree with everything and I’ve been gladly eating crow pretty much since game 1 of last year. The only thing I even disagree with you about is that after this long there were no bandwagon fans left. Probably getting ready to be though

I believe the coach has set a high bar of standard .... not only in his approach to coaching but his strategy for winning, his relationship with players and fans and his humble demeanor towards success.
We the fans are indeed fortunate to have him and also AD Danny White as the saviors of Tennessee sports across the board. May we also recognize the assistants for their knowledge and input into helping The Volunteers become such a winning program in a very short amount of time.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
And then too, if the NCAA is gonna hand out some kinda post season ban on us, they better speak up.

P.S. When he was hired, somebody modified his wikipedia entry to show UT 0-12 in 2021 and made the ranking "last". I made a snip and posted it here back then, but I don't think I could find it now. Good for a laugh, even then.

I'm not going to give anyone grief over this, either.

I mean, who knows how to read this:

1666092262678.png

It's a head-scratcher.

I only know one thing: since none of us are deities, since none of us can fully explain that, we should all show a little more humility when changes come. We simply don't know what we're talking about, most of the time.

Go Vols!

With our track record, no fan on this board should be criticized for being cynical.

That being said, I should have had more faith in the decision. After all, finding a younger coach born in South Dakota who can take the fight to Alabama quickly seems to be a reliable pathway to success for Tennessee.

article.241424.large.jpg

If only we had hired Scott Frost in 2017 ... What a brain fart.

That was who I wanted most at the time. Followed by Mullen. So that's my potential as an SEC AD summed up nicely.

I'll even admit to the perceived blasphemy of liking the Schiano (almost) offer at the time. I'm still not 100% convinced it would've been a bad one either. But in hindsight, if Fulerm & Pruitt were the river of $hit we had to crawl through to come out clean on the other side and arrive at the San Juan Tineo of White & Heupel, it was probably worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glocker_Alum_2005
I only know one thing: since none of us are deities, since none of us can fully explain that, we should all show a little more humility when changes come. We simply don't know what we're talking about, most of the time.

Go Vols!

You F'n nailed it.

Glad at least one person picked up on what I was tryna lay down.

View attachment 502904

It's a head-scratcher.

Go Vols!

It appears to be a flow diagram starting with the win/loss records of each coach at UCF, then tracking the annual win/loss records of each head coach after leaving UCF. The intent is to show how much better Heupel's record is.

It appears to be a flow diagram starting with the win/loss records of each coach at UCF, then tracking the annual win/loss records of each head coach after leaving UCF. The intent is to show how much better Heupel's record is.
No mechanically, friend. No need to explain the graphic mechanically. It is pretty self-explanatory to most folks, I think.

Was talking about explaining how the guy on the left has that arc in his two years with UCF, then crashes and burns at Nebraska. Meanwhile, the guy on the right has a different arc at UCF, but then starts lighting things up at Tennessee.

Explain that, and you'll accomplish something.

View attachment 502904

It's a head-scratcher.

Go Vols!
Agree. I do think you can stack the odds a little more in your favor by hiring a guy with major coaching experience and success.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I’ll be honest. No coach would have got me excited. Too many big names flame out every year all across the country. There is no guarantee.

This guy has a good resume. Better than Kiffin (when he was hired), Dooley, Butch, or Pruitt. Circling back, he straight up whipped Kiffin twice... probably would the other 3 given the chance.

I get the frustration that we brought in this heralded AD and he ends up just bringing his G5 coach with him. That tells me he got a lot of “no thanks” and this was his best option.

I’m willing to give him a chance.

Glad I’m on record here 😂😂

VN Store

Back