Gottleib ripping Tennessee a new one

at the end of the cast Doug mentions the style of basketball that CBP coaches and is not a fan of it...he mentioned Tom Davis and said that Dr. Tom never got past the sweet sixteen with this style...he mentioned that Pitino didn't win big(NC) with his style until his teams could run great half court offense and defense ...the stuff he said about Chris being only good when he's open is asinine
I have seen Chris drain plenty of threes while face gaurded 3 feet behind the arc.

How about the Lofton play where he was blanketed at the top of the key, made some serious moves and took it to the hole.

Seemed athletic to me...I believe he was being guarded at the time...

at the end of the cast Doug mentions the style of basketball that CBP coaches and is not a fan of it...he mentioned Tom Davis and said that Dr. Tom never got past the sweet sixteen with this style...he mentioned that Pitino didn't win big(NC) with his style until his teams could run great half court offense and defense ...the stuff he said about Chris being only good when he's open is asinine
he has some legit points about CBP's preferred style of play, but he didn't mention that we have been backing away from it more and more as we have proven we're decent in the half court on each end and that we can rebound with anybody.

We aren't the helter skelter outfit that we were just a couple of months ago. We still have weaknesses, but have addressed many of the others.

We rely less on TOs today than ever in Pearl's tenure. We rebound the ball tenaciously today. We defend better and give up dramatically less gimme's.

Gottlieb is talking about the team that started the season, not the one that just achieved top billing.

Gottleib has always tried to go to extremes in his analysis - Tennessee has a HORRIBLE bench, Lofton was taking THE WORST SHOTS EVER, Neither one of these teams has ANY SHOT of winning the national title. The fact that he overlooks Tyler Smith as an NBA first rounder alone proves the guy is not paying attention. The fact is that people like you a lot more as your are climbing the mountain than when you get to the top.

he has some legit points about CBP's preferred style of play, but he didn't mention that we have been backing away from it more and more as we have proven we're decent in the half court on each end and that we can rebound with anybody.

We aren't the helter skelter outfit that we were just a couple of months ago. We still have weaknesses, but have addressed many of the others.

We rely less on TOs today than ever in Pearl's tenure. We rebound the ball tenaciously today. We defend better and give up dramatically less gimme's.

Gottlieb is talking about the team that started the season, not the one that just achieved top billing.

the more you post here, the more I respect your opinion. the above is spot on.

I guess Gottlieb didn't realize that Tennessee only had 67 possessions Saturday night, our 3rd slowest pace of the season - and in that game, we won on the road against the #1 team in the country.

I guess Gottlieb didn't realize that Tennessee only had 67 possessions Saturday night, our 3rd slowest pace of the season - and in that game, we won on the road against the #1 team in the country. And in doing so broke their 47 game home win streak.

Fixed.

on point BPV...good stuff...it great to watch the evolution of a team that is getting better all the time

See e.g. nay-sayers thread.

This is just the beginning.
Was thinking about your thread as I read this one....If we keep our focus, the critics will be silenced....this won't be the 1st analyst or sportswriter to question us...Now being number 1 puts a bullseye on our back in more ways than on the hardwood...I'm looking forward to the challenge in all respects

Very nice points, BPV.

Indiana-'87
Kansas-'88
UNC-'93-not positive, but I think Lynch and Montross were the only 1st rounders.
Arkansas-'94.
Arizona-'97. I think Bibby and Dickerson were the only 1s.
UCONN-'99.
Michigan State-'00. I don't remember 3 off of that team.
Maryland-'02. I don't think they had three.
Syracuse-'03.

Jason Terry was a reserve on the '97 Arizona team. The '98 Kentucky team had a potent threesome of future first rounders like Nazr Mohammed, Scott Padgett, and Jamaal Magloire, I guess it counts but come on really...

'95 UCLA I thought only had Ed O'Bannon and Tyus Edney. Turns out Edney was a 2nd rounder, and O'Bannon and George Zidek were the only 1st rounders from that team.

I think the '89 Michigan team only had Glen Rice and Rumeal Robinson, but I may have forgotten someone.

One way to shut him up- Just win baby!
Yep, people can whine and cut the Vols down all they want, but that's not going to take the #1 away. As long as the Vols continue to win, it's all good.

1989 Michigan Team
1989 Draft:
#4 Glen Rice
1990 Draft:
#10 Rumeal Robinson
#13 Loy Vaught
#16 Terry Mills
#54 Mr. irrelevant Sean Higgins

1989 Michigan Team
1989 Draft:
#4 Glen Rice
1990 Draft:
#10 Rumeal Robinson
#13 Loy Vaught
#16 Terry Mills
#54 Mr. irrelevant Sean Higgins
That list does a fine job of explaining how Steve Fisher won a National Title. Of course, the awful foul call at the end of the title game didn't hurt.

VN Store

Back