Greatest UT Football Picture Ever !!!

There is a chasm of space between getting off the high horse and best photo in UT history. It’s insulting to UT’s great tradition to mention this among the best in UT history. It’s from a blowout loss during the worst time in UT history. We can laugh at it without revering it.
The fact that it is from a blowout loss during a bad period is precisely what makes the picture great.

Had he done it with a lead, or when UT was a top program, it would have been uncalled for.

Under the circumstances.........it perfectly summarized the feelings of thousands of UT fans.

Last edited:
I have that Sports Illustrated issue - Albert Dorsey knocking down the pass vs Bama, Legion Field.
Dumbass Dickey really had it rolling in Knoxville back then and Tennessee could have been one of those elite teams of the 70's when sports television really started catching on.
Instead of the "Game of the Century" between OU and Nebraska in 1972, it would have been the Vols & Bama playing for the #1 ranking on national television.
But he thought he could do the same thing at his alma mater, Florida, as he had started at Tennessee. He didn't come close.
He should have known better, leaving one of college football's blue bloods to coach at a wannabe program like Florida.
Mike Jones….not Al Dorsey. But still a great photo

Reactions: NighthawkVol
This was my avi for a long time . Deon Grant is one of my all time favorite Vols.
I miss the days of having a safety that can change the game. I only saw highlights of grant but good lord he was off the charts. Then we got Jonathan Heffney, and Eric berry…
Quick question I know it has nothing to do with the thread but out of safety’s who do you think has this game changing ball hawk skills.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
The fact that it is from a blowout loss during a bad period is precisely what makes the picture great.

Had he done it with a lead, or when UT was a top program, it would have been uncalled for.

Under the circumstances.........it perfectly summarized the feelings of thousands of UT fans.

My point stands.

This is an awesome picture. I’ve never seen it before…..

All the countdowns I’ve done, I’ve seen some really cool photos, but never this one.
This was taken by Sports Illustrated and appeared in an article about the UT/UCLA game that opened the 1967 season. The article's focus was on UCLA QB Gary Beban, but there are some really great photographs that were a part of that article, including this one. https://vault.si.com/vault/1967/09/25/one-more-great-play

Reactions: peaygolf
102608476_Jalin-Hyatt_t800.jpg

I’m gonna show Eddie this pic :eek::D:p

No, I’m not;)
I had to sift through some truley abhorrent content to find a pic of that quality.

It was on some silly 'the'-OSU blog, and the focus of the article insinuated that we cheated,🥱. I hadn't thought about it until now, but it makes me realize you probably inadvertently end up wallowing through the muck a lot.

Thank you for your service.

There is a chasm of space between getting off the high horse and best photo in UT history. It’s insulting to UT’s great tradition to mention this among the best in UT history. It’s from a blowout loss during the worst time in UT history. We can laugh at it without revering it.
This is where I am.

I thought it was humorous but best photo in history? Some of you have had a rough Tennessee history if that’s your favorite.

Yeah, a lot of folks thought that was Al Dorsey for UT, but it was Mike Jones. Dennis Hoban was an A-A that year. Met him years later - a nice humble guy.

Folks also thought Jimmy Weatherford. But Mr. Dorsey explained to me how he knew it was Jones. He said the facemask was the main indicator. Said Jones was the only one with that particular facemask.

Also said, “and I know my teammate.”

Good enough for me.

Last edited:
The fact that we were getting blown out by Alabama in this game makes this gesture by Gaulden look even worse, as in .............
"Well, we can't beat you anymore, so let's just show our ass on national tv instead.

Probably got his inspiration from bottom dwelling posters in social media.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Larry. One of my favorites.

Back in the early 80,s I worked at a courier to banks. After making my delivery, I glanced to my right on the way out, and saw a desk with a "Andy Seivers" nameplate on it. Just as I looked up at the guy behind it, he said Hello. I just waved and smiled. But that made it a damn good day.

VN Store

Back