GT - Why cut block?

You sure you're a fan of GT or you just get that drunk on gamedays? 7 posts up at the 47:00 minute mark in the youtube video is a chop block. This was 2016. PJ just get hired in 2017?

Here's another of a GA DL.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/QpTN1TaVK2Q[/youtube]

That's from 2012, but considering you have only been a fan for two years, you might have missed it.

Did you miss where he said injured? The guy in the play from the 47:00 mark did not get injured. He didn't say he hasn't seen a chop block.

Because I'm not the one saying they are injuring people from cut blocks lol. I have no reason to look it up. And you are right they could have moved up to the LOS. lB's actually do that to us often. Also my argument hasn't been about chop blocks, which I have stated many many time that I understand chop blocks are dangerous. Im saying cut blocks are not dangerous and I doubt you can find any proof of cut blocks being dangerous, as many have said cut blocks are dangerous.

Are cut blocks legal. As of now yes. But you saying there is no proof they are dangerous is blatant stupidity. When you get hit in the knees or ankles you can bet you azz it's dangerous.

You ever played sports? I've had guys slide into me as I was making a tag during baseball and tore my miniscus. That's a puney ole slide with the ground slowing them down as they got closer to me.

A cut block is a helnet or a shoulder pad in to the knees or lower. If the guy blocked has his weight on his legs when it hapoens it's definately a knee injury.

All you can truely say about them is that they are legal. It stops there. Stop saying they aren't dangerous, that isn't true.

While I have you here, wtf is up with the old car busting through paper. What does that have to with a bee?

Reactions: 1 person
Are cut blocks legal. As of now yes. But you saying there is no proof they are dangerous is blatant stupidity. When you get hit in the knees or ankles you can bet you azz it's dangerous.

You ever played sports? I've had guys slide into me as I was making a tag during baseball and tore my miniscus. That's a puney ole slide with the ground slowing them down as they got closer to me.

A cut block is a helnet or a shoulder pad in to the knees or lower. If the guy blocked has his weight on his legs when it hapoens it's definately a knee injury.

All you can truely say about them is that they are legal. It stops there. Stop saying they aren't dangerous, that isn't true.

While I have you here, wtf is up with the old car busting through paper. What does that have to with a bee?
Show me where we are injuring players with cut blocks? If it's dangerous we would be consistently hurting guys with it but we don't. So like I said it's a misconception if you can't show proof. Also we cut block our own team in practice and scrimmages and have never, to my knowledge had a guy injured from a cut block. Why would we cut our own team if it was actually dangerous. You keep saying for me to stop saying it's dangerous, yet you can't prove that it is.

Last edited:
Whther the person gets hurt or not cut blocking compared to traditional blocking is 100 times more dangerous. There is a greater risk of injury. If you can't see that me or nobody else here can help you.

Now, wtf is going on with the car driving through the paper to bring the team out?

Whther the person gets hurt or not cut blocking compared to traditional blocking is 100 times more dangerous. There is a greater risk of injury. If you can't see that me or nobody else here can help you.

Now, wtf is going on with the car driving through the paper to bring the team out?

I could see it being more dangerous than a traditional block, but that still doesn't make it dangerous, especially if we can't find any proof of injuries from it. Tackling is more dangerous than cut blocks, but we sure do love some big hits.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramblin'_Wreck

You might like the read about the rambling wreck. There is a mention of UT in it.

I could see it being more dangerous than a traditional block, but that still doesn't make it dangerous, especially if we can't find any proof of injuries from it. Tackling is more dangerous than cut blocks, but we sure do love some big hits.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramblin'_Wreck

You might like the read about the rambling wreck. There is a mention of UT in it.

You do realize you just contradicted yourself right?

Reactions: 1 person
You do realize you just contradicted yourself right?

How so? I can see how it could be more dangerous because you are dealing with lower block or atleast see that perception of that, but that still doesn't make it dangerous, and we have no proof of it being dangerous. But next time you want to complain about cut blocks, let me leave you with this. I hope our team comes out of the game with no dirty cheap shot helmet to helmet hits like this.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=espn:14075215

I honestly don't think UT is dirty. The only reason I even posted the videos was to say, if you are going to talk about GT being dirty, don't overlook these type of things and how they can cause injuries. I can find more of the targeting hits as well.

Well I guess we've answered this question...

Let's take a different approach.

GT seasonal opponents who don't cry about cut blocking:
Miami
UGA
Clemson

GT seasonal opponents who cry like crazy about cut blocking:
VT
UNC
Duke

GT seasonal opponents too busy drinking Zima to know what cut blocking is:
UVA

Too new to the ACC to have enough data:
Pitt

I'm not telling y'all which bucket you should jump in. You pick that yourselves.

I'm delighted you brought this up. One that's our #1 back this year. Since you only have the screenshot I will add some text to what happened.

Footage of the moment on the field reveals that it escalated after maechi grabbed the bottom of Kelly’s jersey and yanked it prompting Kelly to stomp on him.

The moral of the story is don't try to keep people on the ground. This was on special teams but he will be running the ball this year. We do like to go fast so if one of your defensive players want's to lay on him or hold him to try to slow us up I can see this happening again.

But you should have dug a little deeper. I'm going to guess this was after a CUT BLOCK from Georgias OL Kublanow on our DL Shy Tuttle.
In the video you will see Kublanow holding Tuttle. Tuttle turns away towards the sidelines. Kublanow is beat at this point so what does he revert to, a CUT BLOCK.

https://www.twitter.com/Charlie_Burris/status/653985809679413248/video/1

Here's things that stand out to me by watching that play.

1. Holding should've been called.
2. The CUT BLOCK was outside the tackle box.
3. The ball had left the zone of the tackle box when the CUT BLOCK happened.
4. The CUT BLOCK was from behind on Tuttle.

Now since GT uses the CUT BLOCK continuously I'm sure you are up on the rule but I will post it for giggles.

Rule 2-3-7 and Appendix D

The following Team A players may legally block below the waist inside this zone until the ball has left the zone: (a) players on the line of scrimmage completely within this zone at the snap and (b) stationary backs who at the snap are at least partially inside the tackle box and at least partially inside the frame of the body of the second lineman from the snapper.

Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) while the ball is still in the zone, and all players after the ball has left the zone, are allowed to block below the waist only if the force of the initial contact is from the front, but they may not block below the waist if the force of the initial contact is from the side or back. “From the front” is understood to mean within the clock-face region between “10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the player being blocked.

So the video is a CUT BLOCK. Please enlighten us on the hit with your opinion.

Oh I almost forgot #5 to my list.

5. Here's your proof CUT BLOCKS are dangerous.

Last edited:
I'm delighted you brought this up. One that's our #1 back this year. Since you only have the screenshot I will add some text to what happened.

The moral of the story is don't try to keep people on the ground. This was on special teams but he will be running the ball this year. We do like to go fast so if one of your defensive players want's to lay on him or hold him to try to slow us up I can see this happening again.

But you should have dug a little deeper. I'm going to guess this was after a CUT BLOCK from Georgias OL Kublanow on our DL Shy Tuttle.
In the video you will see Kublanow holding Tuttle. Tuttle turns away towards the sidelines. Kublanow is beat at this point so what does he revert to, a CUT BLOCK.

https://www.twitter.com/Charlie_Burris/status/653985809679413248/video/1

Here's things that stand out to me by watching that play.

1. Holding should've been called.
2. The CUT BLOCK was outside the tackle box.
3. The ball had left the zone of the tackle box when the CUT BLOCK happened.
4. The CUT BLOCK was from behind on Tuttle.

Now since GT uses the CUT BLOCK continuously I'm sure you are up on the rule but I will post it for giggles.

So the video is a CUT BLOCK. Please enlighten us on the hit with your opinion.

Oh I almost forgot #5 to my list.

5. Here's your proof CUT BLOCKS are dangerous.

1st) there was a video of it and it was dirty

2nd) it was in the 1st Q, Tuttle was injured in the 3rd (let's get the facts right)

3rd) you show no proof of cuts being dangerous, just because someone says something doesn't make it truth. Show me where GT has injured guys from CUT blocks, you can't find it can you?

4th) how about the targeting calls UT has had over the past few year? If you call GT dirty you might want to look at the things your own team is doing. And a shot to the head is way worse than a cut block.

Also turtles injury was because the OL for UGA almost clipped him from behind, not the front and he should have been called for clipping. So it's not a cut block it's called clipping, big difference.

Last edited:

2nd) it was in the 1st Q, Tuttle was injured in the 3rd (let's get the facts right)

3rd) you show no proof of cuts being dangerous, just because someone says something doesn't make it truth. Show me where GT has injured guys from CUT blocks, you can't find it can you?

4th) how about the targeting calls UT has had over the past few year? If you call GT dirty you might want to look at the things your own team is doing. And a shot to the head is way worse than a cut block.

Way to side step the facts. How can you say I showed you no proof? Did you just watch the video??
This is proof CUT BLOCKS are dangerous and can very well end the players season on the receiving end.

Now, normal teams do not use it consistently like GT. That makes the defense playing GT have a higher percentage of getting hurt because you'll use it every play. Here's a quote on the Georgia boards about the Kublanow hit on Tuttle.

AthensRules 1551 posts Oct 13, 2015 via Mobile
I did not like the hit either. It seemed GT'ish. I don't mind Kubs going gor the block. I just would have liked to have seen him blast him high (torso). Hopefully Tuttle will make a full recovery. He is a pretty good player.
The hit in question does not qualify but the targeting rules are bringing the point of contact lower and as a result I think we are going to see more legs injuries as a result which sucks since the bad ones can be career ending.
:lolabove:

As for us targeting it happens with every team. I can promise you the answer would be concussion if you ask any player would you rather get hit and be out with a concussion for a week or would you want to be CUT BLOCKED and be out for the year.

As for us targeting it happens with every team. I can promise you the answer would be concussion if you ask any player would you rather get hit hit and be out with a concussion for a week or would you want to be CUT BLOCKED and be out for the year.

Quoted for truth.

Concussions and other head injuries are more damaging over the long term (decades) to the player.

Lower leg injuries are far more damaging in the short term to the team, because they frequently take that starter out for the rest of the season.

And it's not even close. Setting aside the human cost for a minute, focusing at the operational level, lower leg injuries are hugely more costly to a football team than concussions.

Last edited:
Way to side step the facts. How can you say I showed you no proof? Did you just watch the video??
This is proof CUT BLOCKS are dangerous and can very well end the players season on the receiving end.

Now, normal teams do not use it consistently like GT. That makes the defense playing GT have a higher percentage of getting hurt because you'll use it every play. Here's a quote on the Georgia boards about the Kublanow hit on Tuttle.

:lolabove:

As for us targeting it happens with every team. I can promise you the answer would be concussion if you ask any player would you rather get hit and be out with a concussion for a week or would you want to be CUT BLOCKED and be out for the year.
It was a clip not a cut. A cut block is across the face of the defender a clip is on the back side and that's why the clip is illegal. They are two different things lol, so your video is not proof . My point is if we are intentionally trying to hurt people with cut block (not true or we would see us injure guys all the time which doesn't happen) then I can say y'all are trying to intentionally hurt guys with targeting. It works both ways. And a hit to the head can cause so much more damage than a concussion, people have had spine damage from hits high like that and have become paralyzed.

On a side note our OL does not cut every play. And although we do it more than most any team, we are not injuring guys from cut blocks, so that argument doesn't hold any weight when guys aren't being injured.

Last edited:

Also turtles injury was because the OL for UGA almost clipped him from behind, not the front and he should have been called for clipping. So it's not a cut block it's called clipping, big difference.

Guy was holding on to Kelly's genitalia for dear life. If you wouldn't have shoved him off with your cleats, maybe you're into that? No judgement. :)

Guy was holding on to Kelly's genitalia for dear life. If you wouldn't have shoved him off with your cleats, maybe you're into that? No judgement. :)

He was holding onto him, yes. And that's dirty. But he didn't stomp on his head until after he had broke free from being held lol. He didn't do it to break free.

It was a clip not a cut. A cut block is across the face of the defender a clip is on the back side and that's why the clip is illegal. They are two different things lol, so your video is not proof . My point is if we are intentionally trying to hurt people with cut block (not true or we would see us injure guys all the time which doesn't happen) then I can say y'all are trying to intentionally hurt guys with targeting. It works both ways. And a hit to the head can cause so much more damage than a concussion, people have had spine damage from hits high like that and have become paralyzed.

On a side note our OL does not cut every play. And although we do it more than most any team, we are not injuring guys from cut blocks, so that argument doesn't hold any weight when guys aren't being injured.

That's not a clip. Half of Georgias fans says it was a dirty azz GT like CUT BLOCK.

The other side says his helmetis clearly on the side of Tuttle to perform a clean CUT BLOCK. But this side doesn't realize it's outside the tackle box.

That's not a clip. Half of Georgias fans says it was a dirty azz GT like CUT BLOCK.

The other side says his helmetis clearly on the side of Tuttle to perform a clean CUT BLOCK. But this side doesn't realize it's outside the tackle box.

It doesn't matter where his head was, his body hit Tuttle in the back not the front, go back and watch it. If he hit him across the front it would have been a cut block, across the back is a clip. Idc if UGA fans say it was a dirty CUT, they obviously don't know the difference between a cut and a clip. And show me where GT is dirty with their CUT blocks, I would think you could find a video where we injured someone from a CUT block if we were so dirty.

Here's a picture for proof that Tuttle was hit on his back left leg (clip) and not across the front (cut)

It's kinda hard to argue fact.....

Attachments

• IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 2

We've had player ejected for targeting (Moseley against Kentucky) when replays showed clearly that there was no helmet to helmet and conversely the Aggie 12th man speared Evan Berry in the helmet on a kickoff return...no call. Nigel Warrior did a crackback block on that goon later in the game and?...got ejected. There's no headhunting going on...it is what it is. Bang bang plays aren't coached...your blocking scheme is.

Last edited:
He was holding onto him, yes. And that's dirty. But he didn't stomp on his head until after he had broke free from being held lol. He didn't do it to break free.

You got a stigmatism? His hand's STILL there! I think JK adopted it. :lol:

We've had player ejected for targeting when replays showed clearly that there was no helmet to helmet and conversely the Aggie 12th man speared Evan Berry in the helmet on a kickoff return...no call. Nigel Warrior did a crackback block on that goon later in the game and?...got ejected. There's no headhunting going on...it is what it is. Bang bang plays aren't coached...your blocking scheme is.

I know people get called for targeting when there was no targeting, it happened a few years back with our safety. But what you are saying is, if someone does you dirty you can do it back? So maybe the UGA guy that got chop blocked from 2012 did something to our OL dirty and we were just getting him back. By your standard that's perfectly ok.....

VN Store

Back