GT - Why cut block?

Yep, I found it a bit crazy, too.

Not that there aren't defensive ends who try to knock the opposing QB out of the game. I'm sure there are some of those.

Just as there are linemen who target knees and ankles to take opposing players out of the game.

I don't think either of those dirty kinds of players are the norm. They're the exception. But it would be naive to think they don't exist.

The question is, what kind of reputation does a player have? There's a lineman for UGa, Kubinak (sp?) who was clearly a dirty player. Think he graduated last year, but he's the fellow who very intentionally took Shy Tuttle out in 2015.

Tennessee doesn't have any players who have "dirty" reputations. Never heard any opposing fan base say anything about any of our lads in the past several years, except the Jalen Reeves-Maybin tackle of Nick Chubb back in '14 or '15...but replay very clearly showed that JRM was very clean in the play, and all but one or two knuckleheads among the UGa fans even admitted it wasn't JRM's fault. And other than that, our lads all have clean reputations for good sportsmanship in their game, as far as I've heard.

Does Ga Tech have any players with a bit of a reputation?
I agree 100 percent, and that hit by maybin was definitely not dirty imo. We don't have anyone with that reputation. The only thing I have heard about us being dirty is when we cut block, but it's never been about a specific player being dirty, just that the cut block was dirty even though its legal. You are a very logical thinker when it comes to this lol.

Reactions: 1 person
GT does not plan to chop block. The other teams do pinch/hold the center to keep the center from getting to the second level. The center will do their best to get by the pinch/hold and do not engage the defender. The guard still does his job and cuts the backside. I have seen refs overlook and call chop blocks in this situation.

There can be other misses/mistakes that cause chop blocks. Like the chop block against UT. Our true freshman full back cut someone escaping by a blocking/engaged OL.

GT does plan to cut block.

Keep in mind, some might not be interested in finding reality.

The main reason people don't like to play GT is their smash mouth football style. Running play blocking is a lot different than pass play blocking. Defenders prefer defeating pass blocking (dancing polar bears) than dealing with run blocking.

The main reason people don't like to play GT is their smash mouth football style.

Okay, that was just self-serving, and wrong.

It's not your super-tough smash-mouth style of play that has folks concerned. Us, or practically anyone else north of Georgia Southern.

It's the cut blocking. Whether you believe the danger is real or not, the perception of danger is why people do not like playing Ga Tech and the service academies.

Period.

Longest day posted a clip of UT chop blocking a guy on the DL. So by the guys standard I was talking to, UT block dirty. ( I personally don't believe this)

I missed that. He (I think?) posted a righteous, awesome UT cut block on a linebacker though, that was truly a thing of beauty. It would be a sad day for football if that block was illegal.

You made the damning assumption that DEs heading for the QB intend to concuss them. That their "role" is to "deal permanent injury." Not just, you know, to tackle the QB before he can get the pass off. But to concuss him, injure him, take him out of the game.

That's no different than us assuming that Ga Tech OL are aiming at our players' knees with the intent to bust up their knees, to injure them badly enough to take them out of the game.

Hey, you know, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. ;)

I'm totally fine with admitting that football is a violent sport, hugging it out, and moving on from all this "dirty play" nonsense. Let's be friends and crap on Bama for a while more. That was fun.

Hey, you know, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. ;)

I'm totally fine with admitting that football is a violent sport, hugging it out, and moving on from all this "dirty play" nonsense. Let's be friends and crap on Bama for a while more. That was fun.

Always love dissing Bama, Florida, and Georgia. :good!:

Okay, that was just self-serving, and wrong.

It's not your super-tough smash-mouth style of play that has folks concerned. Us, or practically anyone else north of Georgia Southern.

It's the cut blocking. Whether you believe the danger is real or not, the perception of danger is why people do not like playing Ga Tech and the service academies.

Period.
Honest question, why do people see it as being so dangerous? I've stated before more game than not kids are not injured on the DL playing us. So is it possible that it's not as dangerous but because people don't like facing it (i don't blame them) a fake perception has been made? If someone could show me proof of how dangerous a cut block is (not chop block, I know they are dangerous) I would say ok, but I haven't seen that. More guys are injured from getting tackled than any other thing if I'm not mistaken. I'm not arguing, I'm just asking for a reason/proof of the danger.

Honest question, why do people see it as being so dangerous? I've stated before more game than not kids are not injured on the DL playing us. So is it possible that it's not as dangerous but because people don't like facing it (i don't blame them) a fake perception has been made? If someone could show me proof of how dangerous a cut block is (not chop block, I know they are dangerous) I would say ok, but I haven't seen that. More guys are injured from getting tackled than any other thing if I'm not mistaken. I'm not arguing, I'm just asking for a reason/proof of the danger.

Here's my guess at why.

• Most football teams lose a player or two (or more) each year to lower leg injury. They know by experience how hard it is to come back from, how extensive the recovery, how costly to the team.
  • Most of the time, those lower leg injuries are caused by someone (whether opposing team or own teammate) hitting the guy's lower body or rolling onto the lower body while the foot is trapped in the turf, unable to "escape" the injury.
  • The single greatest intentional version of that kind of impact is...you got it, the cut block (or its illegal variants, the chop block, clipping, etc.). Every thing else is accidental and "uncontrollable."

So while it may be true that cut blocks don't cause injury more often than tackling or blocks higher up (or that may not be true, I've never seen a scientific study either way), it is certainly the single greatest controllable variable in those devastating knee injuries that make us all cringe. And so people want to control what they can control.

And that's why I think people see teams like Ga Tech as being so dangerous to the health of their own players. A controllable variable is being "set free" by playing a team that uses it far more often than most.

Fairly or not, think that's why.

Last edited:
Here's my guess at why.

• Most football teams lose a player or two (or more) each year to lower leg injury.
  • Most of the time, those lower leg injuries are caused by someone (whether opposing team or own teammate) hitting the guy's lower body or rolling onto the lower body while the foot is trapped in the turf, unable to "escape" the injury.
  • The single greatest intentional version of that kind of impact is...you got it, the cut block (or its variants, the chop block, clipping, etc.). Every thing else is accidental and "uncontrollable."

So while it may be true that cut blocks don't cause injury more often than blocks higher up (or that may not be true, I've never seen a scientific study either way), while that may or may not be true, it is certainly the single greatest "controllable" variable in those devastating knee injuries that make us all cringe.

And that's why I think people see teams like Ga Tech as being so dangerous to the health of their own players. Fairly or not.
Thank you, this makes sense. I've been watching GT football for a long time now and I cant remember one time we hurt someone from a cut block (not saying that it hasn't happened) I guess my main thing is a lot of people are misinformed about cut blocks, and just go by what they hear.

Thank you, this makes sense. I've been watching GT football for a long time now and I cant remember one time we hurt someone from a cut block (not saying that it hasn't happened) I guess my main thing is a lot of people are misinformed about cut blocks, and just go by what they hear.

How in the hell can you sit there and type this after seeing the 2012 Gt vs Ga game clip I posted?

The 2012 game was a CHOP block I said CUT block. Idk what else to tell you.

Semantics!!!!
A chop block is just a cut block when the player is tied up. Common denominator is the same.
When a DL is trying to drive through the OL with his eyes on the qb or rb, he can't focus on the jackrabbit diving at his knees. ( that's why y'all do that chicken shat- because suddenly the players can't play the aggressive style they usually play because they have to watch out for the career ending lunge.
Paint it any way you want it's still wuss football that amazingly remains legal.

Semantics!!!!
A chop block is just a cut block when the player is tied up. Common denominator is the same.
When a DL is trying to drive through the OL with his eyes on the qb or rb, he can't focus on the jackrabbit diving at his knees. ( that's why y'all do that chicken shat- because suddenly the players can't play the aggressive style they usually play because they have to watch out for the career ending lunge.
Paint it any way you want it's still wuss football that amazingly remains legal.

Cut block = block below the waist
Chop block= two guys engaged high and another guy comes in low.
so they are not the same.
The poster above showed a video of a CHOP block, but I said I had not seen a guy injured by a CUT block.
BTW UT cut blocks.

Thats the point. Your free OL go after DL locked up. Your right, nothing else to tell me.

I said I had not seen a guy injured from a CUT block which you followed up with saying how could I say that after seeing the video of a CHOP block. It's not that hard to see the difference. You are completely talking in circles. I don't see the point in your comment saying how could I make the statement I made after seeing the UGA block when that's not was even being talked about. We are obviously seeing two different things.... no big deal.

Thats the point. Your free OL go after DL locked up. Your right, nothing else to tell me.

Whoever the coach is that said we do it 60 times a game (high/low) I would like proof of it. So can any of y'all go find a game where GT had just 5 high/low blocks in 1 game. I doubt you will find it, but I present the challenge to not take the words of others and find hard concrete evidence yourself. I've only seen 1 video as proof, so where's the rest of it. Not to mention it was from 5 years ago.

Whoever the coach is that said we do it 60 times a game (high/low) I would like proof of it. So can any of y'all go find a game where GT had just 5 high/low blocks in 1 game. I doubt you will find it, but I present the challenge to not take the words of others and find hard concrete evidence yourself. I've only seen 1 video as proof, so where's the rest of it. Not to mention it was from 5 years ago.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/blutar...0/remember-cut-blocks-are-entirely-legal/amp/
Here's you another example. The writer even explains this guy is no where near the QB when your POS center dives at his knees.

I think Tech's scheme is dangerous to DL. I don't think they're intentionally chop blocking or anything, though.

I just think that cut blocking leads to more situtations where a defender might get unintentionally high/lowed by getting shoved/blocked into a teammate or opponent low on the gound engaged in/against a cut block.

Of course the same thing can happen on any run play with any run scheme. But when you're cutting a lot, there are just more bodies on the ground to get tripped up with.

Quotes from write ups on this impressive GT blocking scheme.

While all teams use cut blocking to some degree, particularly as zone blocking schemes have proliferated, the Yellow Jackets have their running backs and wide receivers cut block with far greater frequency than many schools.

Syracuse Coach Shafer quote on it...

We have to play with our eyes and our hands," Shafer said. "We have to do a good job defeating the block with those parts of our bodies first. You have to see the block before you make the play. The mistake you make as a defensive player is you look at the ball, you look at the ball and they get you.

And by get you I'm sure that was a nice way of saying torn ACL.

I think Tech's scheme is dangerous to DL. I don't think they're intentionally chop blocking or anything, though.

I just think that cut blocking leads to more situtations where a defender might get unintentionally high/lowed by getting shoved/blocked into a teammate or opponent low on the gound engaged in/against a cut block.

Of course the same thing can happen on any run play with any run scheme. But when you're cutting a lot, there are just more bodies on the ground to get tripped up with.

Darth, flip back a few pages and watch a youtube video I posted of a high/low intentional trying to blow out a knee dive in to the knees "block". Very impressive and something to be proud of, had to take atleast 2 minutes for PJ to teach them that great blocking technique.

Quotes from write ups on this impressive GT blocking scheme.

Syracuse Coach Shafer quote on it...

And by get you I'm sure that was a nice way of saying torn ACL.
Our WR's don't even cut block lol it would be illegal, plus we are talking about CHOP blocks (high/low) are you going to stay on the subject of chop blocks or just switch to cut blocks?

It's a pos way to play football. One last thing and I'm finished with it. Were going to hang 40 on them and HOPEFULLY come out of the game without any of our DL knees blown out.

No it's just an innocent block, everbody does it. Yet here's what their forums look like.

Originally Posted by :
PBR549 said: ↑
Definitely in their heads.
It's definitely chopblock o'clock in Knoxville.

#BattleOfWoundedKnees
#Tenneknee

Darth, flip back a few pages and watch a youtube video I posted of a high/low intentional trying to blow out a knee dive in to the knees "block". Very impressive and something to be proud of, had to take atleast 2 minutes for PJ to teach them that great blocking technique.

How do you know it was on purpose? How could he have even seen and thought fast enough to do it intentional when the center wasnt suppose to be blocking the NT. The guard cut block at the snap, so how would he have even know the center and NT were locked up when his eyes weren't even looking that way. It's like you are trying to see something that's not there. But I'm not going to argue about it. I'll say it again if it happens 60 times a game go find 1 game when it happened 5 times. You ignored this challenge last time I asked.

It's a pos way to play football. One last thing and I'm finished with it. Were going to hang 40 on them and HOPEFULLY come out of the game without any of our DL knees blown out.

No it's just an innocent block, everbody does it. Yet here's what their forums look like.
They are obviously joking around in that forum because of all the complaining, go read the rest of the comments and you will see this.

VN Store

Back