Heath Shuler vs. Peyton Manning

I think Parcells and the Jets said before Peyton's press conference (when he announced he was staying) that if he declared, they would take him #1 overall.

I think that was the pick that they used on Keyshawn Johnson instead.

Now that you've thoroughly embarassed yourself by suggesting that the NY Jets we're going to draft Peyton #1 in 1996 (when Keyshawn was drafted #1) versus the 1998 draft when Peyton was drafted #1 by the colts, feel free to further enlighten us.

Shuler wasn't smart enough to be a good NFL QB. It's nice that he was able to fall back on a job that doesn't require great intelligence - the United States Congress.

Actually, with the money he made in pro football, Shuler started an ultra-successful real estate business that was EVERYWHERE in East Tennessee.

I do agree, whole-heartedly, with your first statement. He didn't win the job outright from Jerry Colquitt in the preseason of 1992 because of his lack of understanding of the offense and playbook. If you guys can remember, he and Colquitt split time in the first game of 1992 and then Heath separted himself with the great game at Georgia....where he took off an ran on several "broken plays". He was a great athlete, but a less than stellar field general.....which is why he was never going to be successful in the NFL

You speaking of the same Tee Martin that set the NCAA consecutive completion record in '98? :unsure:

Why yes, I actually am.

Just because he had a hot streak doesn't mean he wasn't inaccurate as he!!. How many 5 yard outs did he throw in the dirt against Florida in 99? I wasn't worried about those nearly as much as the consistant over throws that could be picked off.

Yes, he was a very good person, a fine upstanding gentelman that represented the Vols well, but yes, you really did have to hold your breath every time he threw the ball because you didn't know if it was going to the receiver, 5 yards short in the dirt or 4 feet over his head.

Casey...Casey...Casey...!

2710041.jpg

Why yes, I actually am.

Just because he had a hot streak doesn't mean he wasn't inaccurate as he!!. How many 5 yard outs did he throw in the dirt against Florida in 99? I wasn't worried about those nearly as much as the consistant over throws that could be picked off.

Yes, he was a very good person, a fine upstanding gentelman that represented the Vols well, but yes, you really did have to hold your breath every time he threw the ball because you didn't know if it was going to the receiver, 5 yards short in the dirt or 4 feet over his head.

Your opinion.

I was never that worried about where his passes were going. You would be in the minority with this opinion. I haven't peeked at his stats, but I am pretty sure his completion percentage was over 60% in both of those seasons.

Maybe you didn't know, but most of us did

Your opinion.

I was never that worried about where his passes were going. You would be in the minority with this opinion. I haven't peeked at his stats, but I am pretty sure his completion percentage was over 60% in both of those seasons.

Maybe you didn't know, but most of us did

As we can see, he was not over 60% completion rate, and you would also be wrong about me being in the minority.

If I have time I will look up his yearly completion percentage. It will be helped greatly by that very nice hot streak he went on, that was truly a good streak, but over all his passes were erratic as hell except for the long ball.

Just looked up the numbers, from the official UT website.
UT Sports Official Site
Tee Martin completion percentage 55.4% career. Look down at the bottom under career yards, he is 7th.

That's the reason he never made it in the pros, becasue he just wasn't accurate enough.

Like I said, good guy, team player, didn't lose us games but was not an accurate passer. He was a decent quarterback, but nowhere near the calibre of Shuler, Manning etc.

I know someone that went to high school with Heath Shuler. He may have been a very hard worker, but he wasn't splitting atoms.

I know a bunch of people who did...I'm from his HS! The name of the HS was Swain Co. HS in Bryson City, NC. Heath won 3 state titles for us & from a small town & faced much larger schools from much larger towns. He outsmarted a lot of these teams & physically dominated these teams as well. Don't talk about things you hear from a buddy you know, bc they may not be true. I know, Heath was a bright QB, hard worker, an athlete, and Tennessee was a better team when he came along. Heath had the dominace on Peyton's athleticism but Peyton had the dominance on Heath's head no doubt. I'm just frustrated that good vol fans are calling Heath a big dummy. He gave us some great football, great buisness in east Tenn, and now is a UT man in Congress! I didn't vote for him but that is a real accomplishment!

There is no question #21 is the man. Obviously Peyton had the pro career and was more of a calculated passer but college ball has a lot more to do with athleticism. Heath was a great college passer and an even better athlete outside the pocket. He never displayed any defensive read problems or accuracy problems while at UT. He did show a cannon for an arm and not just mobility but hard running and throw on the run skills. He was polished too great ball handling skills. Cutcliffe got it right! Breath Florida and Georgia!

Reactions: 3 people
Just looked up the numbers, from the official UT website.
UT Sports Official Site
Tee Martin completion percentage 55.4% career. Look down at the bottom under career yards, he is 7th.

That's the reason he never made it in the pros, becasue he just wasn't accurate enough.

Like I said, good guy, team player, didn't lose us games but was not an accurate passer. He was a decent quarterback, but nowhere near the calibre of Shuler, Manning etc.

Those stats his senior season were very misleading. Martin wasn't as accurate as Manning and co., but he is closer than given credit for by some (as a college qb). Remember that he played part of his senior season with a sprained wrist and separated left shoulder.

Shuler is no where near the college QB Manning was. I thought it was funny how he drew comparisons to Manning by claiming runner up to Heisman!

Peyton is Peyton--but NEVER underestimate the importance of a running QB in college, and Shuler was both an outstanding runner and passer. He was great to watch.

I would lean towards Shuler. He was a full-throttle player who did everything to keep the ball moving downfield.

Just a raw talent.

the redskins ruined shuler.when they said he held out for more money,it caused problems with the oline.imo

peyton was a better qb though but not as much as people think.

the redskins ruined shuler.when they said he held out for more money,it caused problems with the oline.imo

peyton was a better qb though but not as much as people think.

I agree. It seemed every play, Shuler was being destroyed by poor blocking. I don't think it was intentional, but he never had a chance. He got beaten up badly and was running for his life.

Still, I'm not sure Heath ever felt comfortable reading defenses.

Last edited:
This is a laughable thread. While Shuler had tons of talent, Peyton was, by far, the better QB

A more appropriate comparison would be Tony Robinson vs. Peyton Manning. Had Robinson not torn his knee against Alabama in 1985, he likely would have won the Heisman. Fans near my age and older might tell you that Robinson was a better QB at UT than Manning when analyzing game by game in the statistic of total games played at QB.

Shuler was awesone, but not the equal of Manning or Robinson.

IMHO, during the QB era at UT (1964-present day), in no certain order, the top 5 would be:

(I am doing this chronologically)

Condredge Holloway
Alan Cockrell
Tony Robinson
Heath Shuler
Peyton Mannning

Really close:
Andy Kelley
Bobby Scott

IMHO, during the QB era at UT (1964-present day), in no certain order, the top 5 would be:

(I am doing this chronologically)

Condredge Holloway
Alan Cockrell
Tony Robinson
Heath Shuler
Peyton Mannning

Really close:
Andy Kelley
Bobby Scott

I think jeff francis,casey clausen and tee martin are in the top ten.

VN Store

Back