Heath Shuler vs. Peyton Manning

Peyton studied the game to improve his talent and works relentlessly with his receivers to become one.

Heath used his raw talent to perform, but did not put in the time to become what should have been a can't miss QB.

Why does many people keep saying that Heath wasn't a student of the game! The man was one of the hardest workers I'd ever seen. Were you guys there with him in the film room or on the practice field to make these statements? This guy was talented bc he was a stinking hard worker from a po-dunk town & wanted more than his daddy had. Talented...yes...bc of HARD WORK!

Peyton studied the game to improve his talent and works relentlessly with his receivers to become one.

Heath used his raw talent to perform, but did not put in the time to become what should have been a can't miss QB.

Why does many people keep saying that Heath wasn't a student of the game! The man was one of the hardest workers I'd ever seen. Were you guys there with him in the film room or on the practice field to make these statements? This guy was talented bc he was a stinking hard worker from a po-dunk town & wanted more than his daddy had. Talented...yes...bc of HARD WORK!

When the comparison is against Peyton Manning, no one is going to look like a student of the game.

All bigtime QB's hold out...J Russtle...the 1st draft pick not the 3rd. I realize the holdout isn't good for team chemistry, but the agents tell these young impressionable guys to do it bc...it works...not bc it's right.

It wasn't purely that Shuler held out; it was that he happened to hold out when A) the team situation was such that the they were depending on him to play, and B) Washington had drafted another QB much later in the draft who was in camp from the start and therefore was ahead w/r/t the playbook. The combination of those two things killed him in DC.

Tee Martin. That man could run like a gazelle, and get some serious air under a ball!
Tee understood the psychology of the game better than he other two. Refusing to be mentally as well as physically defeated in any game in 1998 season.

I loved Tee as a person just as good as anybody. He was a good athlete and a good quarterback and most importantly a fine young man.

He was not by any strech of the imagination a great quarterback.

You had to hold your breath every time he threw the ball.

He could throw the bomb well, but struggled alot of the time with the short/intermediate routes.

I would put him in the same category as Andy Kelly, good solid quarterback but nothing outstanding.

When the comparison is against Peyton Manning, no one is going to look like a student of the game.

Now...this is what I'm talking about! Heath was an athlete, a student, and a close second to Peyton. Did Peyton have a chess mentality to his game...YES. Does he still...YES (Example: the Audible King; whether real or a bluff, which we saw last year in Erik A. that PM showed him) Peyton is & was awesome but so was Heath. Both blessed in there own ways but both hard workers.

It wasn't purely that Shuler held out; it was that he happened to hold out when A) the team situation was such that the they were depending on him to play, and B) Washington had drafted another QB much later in the draft who was in camp from the start and therefore was ahead w/r/t the playbook. The combination of those two things killed him in DC.

I'm with you, but when you have an agent in your ear saying "Hold out for more money. They'll pay up!" As a early 20ish young man, you & I would have done the exact same thing. Now, did it cost him more than just money, yes, but when multiple zeros are flying in your face, humanity doesn't exactly make wise decistions. I'm not blaming Heath, his agent, or his team, but sometimes the best teacher is your mistakes. He got caught up in the same thing other guys get caught up in all the time.

Tony Robinson is IMO the best college quarterback UT has ever had, with the caveat that I am too young to remember seeing Holloway play. The guys who are too young to have seen Robinson really, really missed out.

Amen brother!!! I wonder what he is doing these days?

Casey...Casey...Casey...!

2710038.jpg

You mean like beating Bama, winning the SEC title, beating tOSU in the Citrus Bowl... That is such an ignorant statement.

Not nearly as ignorant as that one. Losing to Florida, losing to Florida again, and losing to Florida again and then losing to Memphis...since you want to go the route of what he did do.

As great as the Bama hurdle was and yes he won an SEC Championship, the REAL "big" one was Florida and it never happened.

Not nearly as ignorant as that one. Losing to Florida, losing to Florida again, and losing to Florida again and then losing to Memphis...since you want to go the route of what he did do.

As great as the Bama hurdle was and yes he won an SEC Championship, the REAL "big" one was Florida and it never happened.

Casey...Casey....Casey....!

626519.jpg

Was Casey Clausen better for UT than Peyton Manning was? I would say the Bama hurdle was huge considering their dominance of us at the time. Oh and we have won only one SEC championship since Peyton left, the year after, so I would put his SEC championship up there with almost anything UT has done in the last 20 years.

Tony Robinson is IMO the best college quarterback UT has ever had, with the caveat that I am too young to remember seeing Holloway play. The guys who are too young to have seen Robinson really, really missed out.
I was 5 during Holloway's senior season, so I was too young to remember him playing. From the highlights I've seen the guy was amazing before the injuries started taking their toll. I agree that Tony is the best college QB we have ever had. The day he had against Auburn was incredible.

Frerotte played sort of okay as a rookie. Shuler played a little bit less than sort of okay, but neither of them played very well at all. Shuler's problem was that he held out so long that he never caught up to Frerotte in terms of the playbook, running the offense, etc., so Frerotte came out of training camp "ahead" of him, and when they were both bad, the fans turned entirely on Shuler in favor of the 7th round, lunchpail guy. It really was like a good v. evil thing: Shuler was the greedy holdout; Frerotte was the regular joe from a small school. There was not much difference in their play -- and really, the whole team around them sucked too, so how much success could either of them have had? -- but everybody loved Frerotte the Underdog. Shuler was done before he ever set foot on the field.

I heard today that the Redskins had to cut a few popular "locker room guys" just to fit under the salary cap after Shular signed his contract, maybe one or two of them being offensive linemen. Don't know if that's true, but if so I'd put that right up there for reasons why he failed in Washington.

I loved Tee as a person just as good as anybody. He was a good athlete and a good quarterback and most importantly a fine young man.

He was not by any strech of the imagination a great quarterback.

You had to hold your breath every time he threw the ball.

He could throw the bomb well, but struggled alot of the time with the short/intermediate routes.

I would put him in the same category as Andy Kelly, good solid quarterback but nothing outstanding.

You speaking of the same Tee Martin that set the NCAA consecutive completion record in '98? :unsure:

I heard today that the Redskins had to cut a few popular "locker room guys" just to fit under the salary cap after Shular signed his contract, maybe one or two of them being offensive linemen. Don't know if that's true, but if so I'd put that right up there for reasons why he failed in Washington.

What would Peyton do...hold out...sign...if he did hold out & was with those Skins...where would he be now?

I saw them both 4 times each. Questions? I got plenty of answers, At the ARK. TN. game in WAR MEMORIAL saw a better arm than Peyton ever has had. 60 MPH wind, he through a pass that I have not seen before, in our endzone, on the 7 yard line, thrown to (I think Joey Kent) Strike down to the 45 of the BACKS, Kent said I stopped runnin cause I KNEW it was not going to get there. This is when I saw the ball where I was supposed to be an had to turn the heat up with it burner's on to the MAX and made the catch on a streach. that was cool on the post game interview with JOHN WARD> done.:)

He does make others better! No question. But...based on the "college" game, give me Tony Robinson , Heath Shuler, and Jimmy Streeter. i know it's hypothetical (sp) but what would TR and JS done with Peyton's supporting cast.

Whoever said that Peyton had no running game??? Not you GAVol...
James Stewart, Charlie Garner, Jamal Lewis.....yea, they SUCKED!!!!!

Jimmy Streeter? You CAN'T be serious!!! Peyton made the players around him seem more talented than they really were - examples 1A and 1B are Joey Kent and Marcus Nash.

Heath probably would have had a fine career had he not been sidelined due to injuries. I think he would have continued to catch on with teams, and then eventually had a break out season, or at the very least become a serviceable QB.

Shuler wasn't smart enough to be a good NFL QB. It's nice that he was able to fall back on a job that doesn't require great intelligence - the United States Congress.

Heath used his raw talent to perform, but did not put in the time to become what should have been a can't miss QB. Quote

I know someone that went to high school with Heath Shuler. He may have been a very hard worker, but he wasn't splitting atoms.

Are you serious? He could have declared for the draft after his Junior year and been considered a can't miss, top 5 pick.

I think Parcells and the Jets said before Peyton's press conference (when he announced he was staying) that if he declared, they would take him #1 overall.

I think that was the pick that they used on Keyshawn Johnson instead.

VN Store

Back