Herbstreit on Flopping

And what does that do?
Coaches will just send a walk on out to "get hurt" and sit out 5 plays??

Yeah that'll slow it down
Usually the flops occur to slow down fast paced offense when D is unable to substitute.

Yes, I think there’s some ideas here that would have a positive impact.

What ideas do you bring to the table?

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
This needs a solution. Maybe the player with injury must sit out 5 plays?

Defensive player must sit out remainder of the possession and the entire next possession for any injury timeout....

2nd time in the game is remainder of possession plus next two possessions.

3rd time and player is unable to return.

It’s a problem but one that’s almost impossible to fix imo. It’s extremely difficult to prove someone faking an injury. Someone could get a cramp at any point. Anyone ever had a bad leg cramp? I have and they aren’t fun. And we gave flipped in the past as well.

It’s a problem but one that’s almost impossible to fix imo. It’s extremely difficult to prove someone faking an injury. Someone could get a cramp at any point. Anyone ever had a bad leg cramp? I have and they aren’t fun. And we gave flipped in the past as well.

It's why remainder of possession plus X number of following possessions is the best way to go as a rule change to ensure trainers have time to diagnose injuries....

If he got his hand slapped for stating the obvious, that's ridiculous. This BS has gotten out of hand. It's starting to look like soccer.
It is ridiculous and I agree. He might not have but as mad as he was the first time it just seemed odd he didn’t say anything else the rest of the game when they continued flopping.

Reactions: TnScooby
IMHO this could/should be one of the plays that earns a personal foul flag..To determine what flopping is will be tough but the OBVIOUS flops should be a penalty..And video review could be a tool they use to determine intent..Just like targeting....
No foul, if you get hurt you go out for series on defense. People will say that hurts defense and I would say no more than the stupid rule that offense takes a 10 second runoff with penalty at end of game. That runoff is like a double penalty….

Kirby been pro-Vols all season. I've almost forgiven him.
Herbie has been complimentary of Tennessee for at least the last 25 years. I remember him on Basilio in summer of 99 sounding like a Vol fan. He has had criticisms over the years, but it’s not like there weren’t years where it was hard to say anything positive about UT football. Even so, these guys saying something doesn’t make them “anti” anyone, it’s just their job. The biggest thing he has said that bothered me was the Schiano endorsement and then his excuse for it.

Simple answer is just hold them out until the next series but it will always come back to how do you prove a player is faking.

That’s the tough part. The only way you would know for sure is on some of the flops last night the OU player clearly looked to their sideline. Especially the one that Herbie noticed and called out. I think “sitting out the rest of the series” to protect the player is reasonable.

This needs a solution. Maybe the player with injury must sit out 5 plays?

The solution is so damn simple - if a player goes down, he sits out the rest of the possession. They're so concerned about 'safety', well this addresses that aspect by 'protecting' the 'injured' player. Coaches will think twice before losing players for any amount of time. But that's way too logical, so it will never happen.

Kudos to Herbstreit (I'm not the biggest fan), and especially for how pissed he sounded while talking about it. It certainly can't hurt to have big profile national media figures like him addressing the issue.

The solution is so damn simple - if a player goes down, he sits out the rest of the possession. They're so concerned about 'safety', well this addresses that aspect by 'protecting' the 'injured' player. Coaches will think twice before losing players for any amount of time. But that's way too logical, so it will never happen.

Kudos to Herbstreit (I'm not the biggest fan), and especially for how pissed he sounded while talking about it. It certainly can't hurt to have big profile national media figures like him addressing the issue.
Isn’t it funny how most problems have simple solutions.

IMHO this could/should be one of the plays that earns a personal foul flag..To determine what flopping is will be tough but the OBVIOUS flops should be a penalty..And video review could be a tool they use to determine intent..Just like targeting....
To hard to evaluate what’s real/not real when protecting the players. Is it a cramp or a flop? Who knows. Easy answer is you must sit out “X” amount of time after stopping game for injury.

I think this will be the blueprint for slowing us down this year. Notice that after they did it about 2 or 3 times we kinda of abandoned the high speed O. I mean, why run a higher risk offense if the defense can lay on the ground and stop play anytime they feel like it. It's like the other team has been given unlimited time outs. They also stopped play one time when we out ran the chain gang (again). We will see defenses rolling on the ground all year since there is no penalty for doing so. This should have been addressed last year.

VN Store

Back