Herbstreit on Flopping

As someone who never missed an episode of Rece on college football final with Holtz and Mark May, the guy has never been anti-Tennessee. Has he been critical at times? Sure he has. Sometimes we probably deserved it. There are other times over the years where he may have said something probably wrong about us, but he's always been fair.
Well I guess we've probably deserved any criticism we've gotten from anybody for the past 20 years now that you mention it.

It's absurd that the NCAA still hasn't addressed this.

Dude went down early in the 1st Quarter with "cramps". The game had barely started. He clearly discovered he had "cramps" after some coach yelled at him from the sideline. How much more obvious can this be?
And who's famous for their "fainting goats"? Also, 'Bear' Bryant popularized those fake injuries a while back. :cool:

Attachments

• Ole Miss_fainting goats.jpeg
    Ole Miss_fainting goats.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Big Al Orange
This needs a solution. Maybe the player with injury must sit out 5 plays?
I think a player should sit out at least 2 possessions. That would really give coaches pause in having players flop.

But then we might be hurting with our designated flopper on every extra point try…lol.

Kirk Herbstreit calls out Oklahoma for 'unethical' injury gamesmanship vs. Tennessee

Kudos to Herbstreit for calling out Da'Jon Terry. I hope this becomes more of a discussion and helps promote rule changes, such as requiring a player to sit out a quarter if play stops due to an injury.
Terry knows what needs to happen to disrupt the TN offense. Faking injuries to slow us down has been effective against us in the past and Terry had a front row seat for it for two years.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I think it should simply be that the “injured” player sits out the remainder of the drive. It’s not a long amount of time, but it does deter the faking of injuries. X-amount of plays or time is too much to properly keep up with to be consistently & accurately enforceable.
I can't find the source but I believe this is what was proposed by the teams/NCAA after the obvious 2022 season flops (including the angry Neyland response during the Ole Miss game).

Injured players are required to sit out the remainder of the drive.

It becomes a questions of player safety as a hard stinger or questionable injury a tough player is likely to try and play through to not be pushed out for the remainder of the drive.

Also, while we are casting stones...you do realize the Vols do the exact same thing, right?

Go back and count how many times, after scoring in under two minutes, a Vol lineman goes down after the extra point. "Time for an extra breather, defense."

But hey, if they aren't going to stop it on one side, we might as well take advantage on the other!

Also, while we are casting stones...you do realize the Vols do the exact same thing, right?

Go back and count how many times, after scoring in under two minutes, a Vol lineman goes down after the extra point. "Time for an extra breather, defense."

But hey, if they aren't going to stop it on one side, we might as well take advantage on the other!
True. I don't like it when we do it either. I'm all in favor of changing rules to deter these fake injuries.

Reactions: Vol_in_NC_1999
Reactions: bpalmer28
this is riduculous... He tried to quote the maxims and failed and sorry the part where he got confused me the first 10 times I read it years ago too... its some ancient hill talk stuff or something.
200w (11).gif

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

What does it mean? I thought it was like Bettlejuice or Candyman? I have always been scared to say it aloud. Like the song of the witches.

View attachment 680074
Study this and I guarantee youll be switching your Fandom to Tennessee.

Or checkout OMG thread each week.

Study this and I guarantee youll be switching your Fandom to Tennessee.

Or checkout OMG thread each week.

lol What? I know what the Maxims are I have been a fan of UT since the 80's does not change the fact that maxim 5 is weird...You sound like an A&M fan defending the Yell leaders.

that sir is whats called a cult.

Any solution will be aimed at coaches, not players and will probably involve fines. I have two reasons for saying so:

1. Faking injuries is a coaching decision.
2. Any rule change that restricts a player’s ability to come out and go back in will expose teams to liability for injuries.

Refs can’t judge injuries in real time, so everything gets has to be treated as the real thing. And sometimes catastrophic injuries (rib shots, head injuries, other internal organ issues) manifest over the course of a play or two. If you break your leg or twist your ankle, the problem is immediate. But real and dangerous injuries aren’t always structural.

All I know is that my sons will never be allowed on the PAT team at UT. It’s the single most dangerous play in football.

lol What? I know what the Maxims are I have been a fan of UT since the 80's does not change the fact that maxim 5 is weird...You sound like an A&M fan defending the Yell leaders.

that sir is whats called a cult.

Just realized I put that in the wrong thread. Sorry about that.

Reactions: pimo1
Any solution will be aimed at coaches, not players and will probably involve fines. I have two reasons for saying so:

1. Faking injuries is a coaching decision.
2. Any rule change that restricts a player’s ability to come out and go back in will expose teams to liability for injuries.

Refs can’t judge injuries in real time, so everything gets has to be treated as the real thing. And sometimes catastrophic injuries (rib shots, head injuries, other internal organ issues) manifest over the course of a play or two. If you break your leg or twist your ankle, the problem is immediate. But real and dangerous injuries aren’t always structural.

All I know is that my sons will never be allowed on the PAT team at UT. It’s the single most dangerous play in football.
Make it simple you flop/cause an official timeout you cannot come back in that series or if they really wanna make sure the next series. This would not stop UT's smarter version of the flop where they have backup O-linemen do it on extra points. But, Meh I'm soft for the home team and well though out plans.

Make it simple you flop/cause an official timeout you cannot come back in that series or if they really wanna make sure the next series. This would not stop UT's smarter version of the flop where they have backup O-linemen do it on extra points. But, Meh I'm soft for the home team and well thought out plans.
Your solution doesn’t solve the problem unless you define the problem as “other people faking injuries.” And that rule change would still get schools sued for discouraging players from being treated.

Fine coaches $50,000 for unsportsmanlike conduct for tolerating flopping and it will stop.

The party with the biggest incentive to end flopping is, oddly enough, ESPN—all that inactivity is bad for viewership and inflates game length with no action. TV may end up pressuring conferences to change rules.

When in Rome……

VN Store

Back