Hire Holgerson....

Have you been watching WVU this year? Yes no defense but a hellova offense.. Fix one and you have a NC team

Their D isn't very good, but WVU run s so much high tempo that it affects their D

If you're going to consider Holgerson you might as well consider Art Briles

Last edited:
Have you been watching WVU this year? Yes no defense but a hellova offense.. Fix one and you have a NC team

Making it sound so easy to just bring in some defensive players that don't get winded after your offense scores within two minutes every drive. I don't care how good your defense is, when you don't get to catch your breath, you're at a disadvantage.

They said the same thing about Billy Gilespie. Then he got a very high pressure job and it went downhill.

I'd be scared that would happen to Holgorsen. I think he's a fantastic coach and could win in the SEC (but far from a given) but that would seriously concern me.

That is who I thought of when I read Eric's post. He would be under a different level of scrutiny.

With a good running quarterback, you can win a lot of college football games--or at the very least be competitive. And a running QB with a good spread offense is very hard to stop. This is one big reason why our offense has not been mediocre for most of the last decade--better this year than in recent years, but bray's lack of mobility is still a major handicap.

The problem i have is all this flavor of the week our fan base has. One week it's this guy, then we see a team put up 70 points and then it's that guy. You have to be able to take a whole body of work. Not just a few games.

That's where I was looking with my shiny things comment...

I mean, if that's what you're looking for, shouldn't it be Hire Dana or Briles?

Same lineage.

Baylor is approaching 50 points against WVU's defense.

They run the same offense, you know the record setting one, where holgerson has had a 4000 yard passer for 7 years in a row I think it's up to now. Soon be 8. Briles is a good coach. We've never seen this offense paired with a great defense.

That type of offense would not work in SEC to good of defenses and to much speed. But then again anything is better than what we got now.

Funny. He runs shallow, 4 verts, y cross, sticks, smash, mesh (Not rly any more) out of different looks. I wonder if those plays have been in the SEC before. Not surprisingly, Spurrier has been copying much of the same crap. Think of a lot of Holgorsen's new stuff as Spurriers PA/Draw game from the 90's which is renown and the packaged reads of the NFL built into run/pass decisions. Instead of packaging beaters on the Y-Z/Split-end sides, he packages draws into plays like y-cross and stick. Way ahead of 95% of CFB.

Reactions: 1 person
They said the same thing about Billy Gilespie. Then he got a very high pressure job and it went downhill.

I'd be scared that would happen to Holgorsen. I think he's a fantastic coach and could win in the SEC (but far from a given) but that would seriously concern me.

That is a concern. Honestly, I really do not see UT hiring him, primarily for this reason.

Funny. He runs shallow, 4 verts, y cross, sticks, smash, mesh (Not rly any more) out of different looks. I wonder if those plays have been in the SEC before. Not surprisingly, Spurrier has been copying much of the same crap. Think of a lot of Holgorsen's new stuff as Spurriers PA/Draw game from the 90's which is renown and the packaged reads of the NFL built into run/pass decisions. Instead of packaging beaters on the Y-Z/Split-end sides, he packages draws into plays like y-cross and stick. Way ahead of 95% of CFB.

Spurrier was doing all this ****, only without the fancy motion and option run game. Spurrier truly was a genius at Florida and the standard for the modern passing game in FOOTBAL, not just college.

Everytime I see a hire this guy thread and people are wanting a Pass Happy Spread offense loving HC, I like to remind them we already have an OC like that - and he sucks in the SEC. Teams with those types of offenses tend to be very weak/soft on defense. The way you play in practice has an effect on your team's mentality. Defenses that prep all week against non-physical offense have issues on game day. Also, remember what has happened in big games with those offenses against SEC defenses (even middle tier teams)? SEC defense usually slows them down or stops them cold.

The only difference is Holgorsen can run coaching circles around Chaney.

Reactions: 1 person
All Meyer needed was Cam Newton. He'd do great with Driskel in that offense. He just made an idiotic decision and took Brantley over Newton.

Newton got kicked off for stealing a lap top. He was taking over when Teblow left.

That is a concern. Honestly, I really do not see UT hiring him, primarily for this reason.

Again, Holgorsen is a fantastic coach and solid recruiter. UT, if Derek Dooley is fired, needs a guarantee. Holgersen has enough question marks with his drinking and the lack of defense that there is a good amount of risk with him.

VN Store

Back