Hong Kong + the West vs. China vs. Corporations

That’s because Disney way overpaid for the broadcast rights and their coverage far exceeds the actual overall interest .

It's currently the NFL season and baseball playoffs. ESPN is talking about the NBA because there is so much interest, even in preseason.

I think that they are trying to create interest. I just don't see anyone that isn't a hardcore fan watching the games right now.

He's not talking about the games themselves, he's talking about the conversations about preseason. I'm telling you, ESPN doesn't have to drub up interest. There is interest in NBA storylines year-round. That's why Disney paid so much for the NBA.

Even if they spent too much, it's still a sunk cost. Every decision ESPN makes should be about "what content will get us the most viewers?" not "how do we shape our content to leverage the NBA contract?" They are smart enough to understand this.

FWIW, "Wednesday’s Pelicans-Bulls NBA preseason game, marking the second preseason game for Pelicans F Zion Williamson, averaged a 0.65 rating and 1.00 million viewers on ESPN. Coverage aired opposite an MLB Division Series Game 5."

Last edited:
It's currently the NFL season and baseball playoffs. ESPN is talking about the NBA because there is so much interest, even in preseason.

It is preseason after the most talked about free agent summer ever. After opening night, the Christmas Day games are just about the biggest draw the NBA will have until the Playoffs. They were smart enough this offseason to schedule games earlier to accommodate the East coast because of the high volume of western stars. We’ll see if that makes impact overall in viewership which dipped considerably last year .

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
It is preseason after the most talked about free agent summer ever. After opening night, the Christmas Day games are just about the biggest draw the NBA will have until the Playoffs. They were smart enough this offseason to schedule games earlier to accommodate the East coast because of the high volume of western stars. We’ll see if that makes impact overall in viewership which dipped considerably last year .

Viewership is dipping for all of TV and live sports are the reason the decline isn't much more precipitous. ESPN's plan isn't to cover the **** out of the NBA to raise interest so games get more viewers. They have the NBA because it's one of the big 2 sports. Their plan is to cover the **** out of the NBA because they have hundreds of hours of television to schedule each week and ardent fans will watch.

He is a coward and doesn't have any true principles. The NBA and him only care about one thing, $$$$
So wait to be clear:

We should shame the NBA for doing business with China

We should shame the players for not being more outspoken with China

We have no problem with our own country doing business with China.

Well as long as we’re consistent.

Viewership is dipping for all of TV and live sports are the reason the decline isn't much more precipitous. ESPN's plan isn't to cover the **** out of the NBA to raise interest so games get more viewers. They have the NBA because it's one of the big 2 sports. Their plan is to cover the **** out of the NBA because they have hundreds of hours of television to schedule each week and ardent fans will watch.
You mean it's still on tv? I would have to flip coins to decide whether to watch NBA, NASCAR, or soccer.

You mean it's still on tv? I would have to flip coins to decide whether to watch NBA, NASCAR, or soccer.
Barely. NBA is on TNT or TBS only because nobody watches the garbage other than a few select cities. The only sports that collect big bucks anymore is the NFL, college football and college basketball and the NFL is doing their level best to ruin what little fan support they still have.

Did he get his GED or actually finish high school? Not that he needed either.

Probably an honorary diploma. I just saw earlier today where he said he was more educated than the NBA GM or whoever that made comments about China.

Barely. NBA is on TNT or TBS only because nobody watches the garbage other than a few select cities. The only sports that collect big bucks anymore is the NFL, college football and college basketball and the NFL is doing their level best to ruin what little fan support they still have.

The NBA did $8B in revenue 2018. Total NBA revenue 2001-2018 | Statista

According to this article, all 230 schools combined brought in under $11B for all sports. USA TODAY Sports

Some boomers lived their whole lives just making up whatever reality they wanted and the internet is ruining everything for them.

The NBA did $8B in revenue 2018. Total NBA revenue 2001-2018 | Statista

According to this article, all 230 schools combined brought in under $11B for all sports. USA TODAY Sports

Some boomers lived their whole lives just making up whatever reality they wanted and the internet is ruining everything for them.
I don't watch that crap and I don't know anyone that watches that crap therefore I'm correct.
If the NBA was such a huge draw why are they only on cable TV?

VN Store

Back