How important is the Oregon game to CBJ?

Well, win, lose, or draw, I hope our Vols have a Tex Cobb mentality. Prior to his fight with Larry Holmes who was considered superior to and way above his class, he was asked a question. He lived up to his answer too.
The question had to do with whether he'd quit, fake being knocked out, or refuse to answer the bell.

Question: If Homes is beating your face to a bloody pulp, what will you do?

Cobb: "Why, I'll be slinging leather, darling."

And if Butch can have Tennessee playing like that despite getting outclassed just about everywhere, sadly, it will respectable and acceptable.

We have no chance in this game and those saying the talent level is more or less equal as a way of legitimizing our chances are making fools of themselves imo.

This x100

Oregon has a frickin' Heisman candidate at qb and we don't even know who'll be our starting QB. UT will have done well if the Ducks win by less than 21pts.

you think the ducks will destroy us but we can beat
those three. It just doesn't make sense.
any of those three teams can rip Oregon apart.

Oregon is the weakest of all these teams. You let their performance in the pac 12 cloud your thinking.

:good!:

Too many people here are victims of sports press hype and actually believe the non SEC propaganda. The same press that somehow is amazed when middle pack SEC teams blow out their darlings in other conf in bowl games. No doubt the ducks are good, and tough, and if we win it will be an upset, but they're not even the top 4 of teams we will play this year. They also have a change in coaches, and their defense I doubt is equal to ours, or pretty much anyone in the top half of the SEC.....

Can we beat them? Absolutely......is it likely? maybe not....if we can't create a fast tempo offense fast, and or slow down their play.....nope... But we still are a bigger obstacle in our weakened state then the majority of their season games.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I don't think anyone in the country expects us to even be within 2-3 tds tbh.

Man, there are some negative VOL fans in this thread.....and I use the term fan lightly. Remind me to never ask any of you guys for a pep talk before a job interview.

Reactions: 2 people
Doesn't Butch run an up-tempo offense? Why would we be grinding and slowing down just for one game? It's the preseason, and everyone's hopes are unrealistically high. Not saying we don't have a chance, but it doesn't look good.

Everyone's hopes are unrealistically high?

Where?

Doesn't Butch run an up-tempo offense? Why would we be grinding and slowing down just for one game? It's the preseason, and everyone's hopes are unrealistically high. Not saying we don't have a chance, but it doesn't look good.

A smart coach adjusts his strategy according to the opposition he faces. I'm sure Butch knows to not play Charge of the Light Brigand against a fortified enemy. That calls for either a siege or commando raids if you have no other resources like air support. Nor to play a waiting game against a severely over-matched foe. You pound them with canons and rockets, and send the grunts to clean up what's left. So if grinding is what's called for, Butch gets it. If we end up being able to keep up with an uptempo, Butch gets it.

Man, there are some negative VOL fans in this thread.....and I use the term fan lightly. Remind me to never ask any of you guys for a pep talk before a job interview.

They are fans that have their opinion just like all fans do. Because they do not agree with you is no reason to slam them.

Reactions: 1 person
how is our defense better than Wilcox's last unit? We don't have any secondary talent, we don't have depth at all on D and Oregon's speed will destroy us just like every fast team did last year.

I'd like to hear some elaboration on how we "match up well against the Ducks."
We're cuter. :loco:

They are fans that have their opinion just like all fans do. Because they do not agree with you is no reason to slam them.

True, but MY VOLS, the team that I support, has just as much of a chance as any other team. Using the logic of some, we should not even show up. That is why they play the game. EVERY team is beatable, if you smack them in the mouth every play they will eventually wilt.

True, but MY VOLS, the team that I support, has just as much of a chance as any other team. Using the logic of some, we should not even show up. That is why they play the game. EVERY team is beatable, if you smack them in the mouth every play they will eventually wilt.
As we know from the last several years. :dance:

We do not match up well with Oregon. We don't have any player on our roster on defense that can contain D'Anthony Thomas in space, and their offense is designed to do just that - get their skill players out in space. Marriota would start for any SEC team outside of A&M, Bama, and UGA and thats not really debatable. Plus, they have a system in place that plays to their strengths that they've mastered under Kelly and continues under their new HC. Our guys are playing in a whole new system on both sides of the ball with virtually no experience at the offensive skill positions. Also, if anyone thinks we can grind it out for 4 quarters and play ball control offense, ask yourself this - when was the last time we were able to do that? Not to mention playing on the road in one of the toughest venues in college football. Alot of our young guys we will be forced to play this year will have their " welcome to big time football" moment at Autzen, and it won't be pretty.
While I do agree that our chances most likely are not very good,I don't think a win is impossible. More along the lines of improbable. Injuries happen,turnovers happen. Saying when was the last time we were able to do something should be mostly irrelevant as I think most would agree they haven't been coached very well recently. Like I said,I'm not expecting us to go in there and beat them, but I think saying anyone who thinks we have a chance is a fool seems a little harsh.

Objectively, the real goal of this season should be to go bowling and to win it.

However, there are intermediate goals along the way.

I think the Oregon game is an important metric for CBJ. The Vols and Oregon actually share similar talent levels. Our strengths should exploit their youth and inexperience. A Wilcox level defense will keep the game under control. Great coaching, and the Vols should put Oregon under a lot of stress and pressure.

I don't expect us to win in the end, but I expect us to be in the game in the fourth quarter this time around. In Knoxville, Mother Nature essentially gave Dooley TWO halftime speeches. It's a wonder half the team didn't jump off Gay Street Bridge after that.

I won't be unduly surprised if we lose big, but IMHO it would be the first question marks against CBJ.

We've all been super impressed with CBJ since he arrived. Circle the Oregon game; I think that will be his - and our - arrival back "in the hunt and in the mix."

When the Ducks came to Neyland in 2010, a Wilcox lead defense got its azz whipped. Just Sayin'.

Reactions: 4 people
He just needs to keep it somewhat respectable. I'd love to see us hold the Ducks under 30 pts, but I think they put up at least 40.

It's gonna be a 42-14 kind of game, IMO.

I have a feeling that CBJ's brick theme will become clear to some by the end of this game

this is what I don't understand about all this from our fans.

do you honestly think that Oregon could play any of those three SEC teams and beat them badly if at all ?

yet you think the ducks will destroy us but we can beat
those three. It just doesn't make sense.
any of those three teams can rip Oregon apart.

Oregon is the weakest of all these teams. You let their performance in the pac 12 cloud your thinking

Exactamundo.

When the Ducks came to Neyland in 2010, a Wilcox lead defense got its azz whipped. Just Sayin'.

After two Dooley demotivational half-time speeches.

It was the second one that really killed all hope in the kids; really lost Rommel.

It was still a game at halftime.

VN Store

Back