How important is the Oregon game to CBJ?

Also, if anyone thinks we can grind it out for 4 quarters and play ball control offense, ask yourself this - when was the last time we were able to do that?

When have we had an offensive line this good? Neal is a senior and could / should have a breakout year. Lane is a good back too.

If we aren't playing high percentage football, if we aren't the anti-Chaney this year, then we really are going to struggle to go bowling, and CBJ honeymoon will truly be over.

When have we had an offensive line this good? Neal is a senior and could / should have a breakout year. Lane is a good back too.

If we aren't playing high percentage football, if we aren't the anti-Chaney this year, then we really are going to struggle to go bowling, and CBJ honeymoon will truly be over.

Its the same Oline from last year essentially and we were underwhelming in the run game. Neal and Lane are average backs at best. Serviceable but not smashmouth.

Reactions: 1 person
this is what I don't understand about all this from our fans.

do you honestly think that Oregon could play any of those three SEC teams and beat them badly if at all ?

yet you think the ducks will destroy us but we can beat
those three. It just doesn't make sense.
any of those three teams can rip Oregon apart.

Oregon is the weakest of all these teams. You let their performance in the pac 12 cloud your thinking.

I'm hoping our Vols enjoy a roast duck feast when they head out there. I think the doubters are fueled by the fact that Tennessee hasn't been playing SEC level football for several years now. We actually sank lower than the old Vanderbilt teams. There is such a thing as having your faith killed. I'm so high on Butch I don't have sense enough to not believe our Vols have a chance. But the doubters, endure them. A lost heart is hard to recover.
They have a case of: :ripped:

Reactions: 3 people
Fun fact: Cincinnati was 105th in the nation last year in plays per game on the road. I know "that was Cincinnati and we are Tennessee", but it could indicate the pace. My point is I doubt we are as fast paced this year as I've heard from the press and this board. I'm not even convinced we will be faster paced than last year. I'm not making a prediction with this reply, but something to watch is Oregon's love of run blitzing. They should be susceptible to the play action pass if our backs can pick up the linebackers.

After two Dooley demotivational half-time speeches.

It was the second one that really killed all hope in the kids; really lost Rommel.

It was still a game at halftime.

Ok but talent eventually overcomes in the end and we just did not have the horses to compete on either side of the ball. Once Oregon regrouped there was no stopping that freight train. I will give Wilcox credit for the Defense stepping up when he was the DC at Boise State and shut the ducks down, but Boise State has been a much better team the past few years with much better coaching. Hopefully, Butch can be a good coach like many of us are anticipating.

To answer the OP’s question, not very much. Oregon is pre-season top 5 team and expected to be a contender for the NC. Not to mention they have a player in the pre-season contention for the Heisman. They have a new HC, but he was their OC last season.

We are like just inside the top 50. Lack of game experience and depth at almost every position, a totally new coaching staff and system, and our best unit (OL) is rated so high because of their pass protection. Their run blocking has been just better than average with the same old running backs from the past. To say we match up talent wise with Oregon is delusional at best, but to continue to argue with rabid fans that can/will not see reason is a waste of time. I hope we surprise them, catch them completely off guard and pull the upset of the decade, but the more improved coaching and recruiting shown by Jones and company points to a brighter future not a beat down in Oregon.

OP, if you are right and the vols are in the game in the 4th quarter, then we are a much better football team than anyone could of imagined this year. However, I just don't see it based on how much team speed the ducks have on offense and quality QB play.

True, but MY VOLS, the team that I support, has just as much of a chance as any other team. Using the logic of some, we should not even show up. That is why they play the game. EVERY team is beatable, if you smack them in the mouth every play they will eventually wilt.

You're Xbox vols or the real life ones? There are a lot of teams with a better chance to beat Oregon than the real life Vols

You're Xbox vols or the real life ones? There are a lot of teams with a better chance to beat Oregon than the real life Vols

The real life VOLS. Football is about execution, execution, execution. If Butch can get them to the point where they execute every play, we have a chance to beat anyone.

De La Salle won 151 straight games by executing. I read an interview done by their coach that stated that they ran no more than 5 plays, but they executed those plays very well. A small catholic school in California beat every high school from coast to coast for 12 straight years by running basic plays but executing them very well.

On a scale of 1-10, this is a 1. If he wins, yes he is instant hero, but if he loses I think there will be zero backlash from the fan base. Well, the sensible part of our fan base anyway. Oregon is light years ahead of us at the moment. I'm just looking for improvement, consistent effort, and fight.

I agree we are lacking depth at some key defensive positions, but barring injuries I think many are going to be pleasantly surprised by the results from our defense this year. My biggest concern is the passing game. Without it... our offense will be one dimensional and opposing defenses will stack the box. However, if we can establish some rhythm in the pass attack, then I fully expect an upset over one of the key teams this season.

On a scale of 1-10, this is a 1. If he wins, yes he is instant hero, but if he loses I think there will be zero backlash from the fan base. Well, the sensible part of our fan base anyway. Oregon is light years ahead of us at the moment. I'm just looking for improvement, consistent effort, and fight.

I just hope we don't lose by more than 3 tds.

I'd like to hear some elaboration on this point. They have more proven QB and wide receivers. We don't have a proven gamechanger like CP now, but if we are relying on big plays to beat the Ducks, then I would put some serious question marks against CBJ full stop.

Where we have a huge talent superiority should have us controlling the clock and sustaining drives against their weakest units. Our defense should be better than Wilcox's last unit.

We match up well against the Ducks. The key is, despite all the "shower discipline," can the team wash off all the Dooley and Sal fail by Autzen?

It's about depth. They have it, we don't. We do have quality, proven players at certain positions, not all. Add to that our absolute lack of depth, and you'll quickly see the effects that an uptempo offense like Orgeon's will have on a team with our roster problems.

Not saying there's not a chance that we'll keep it close, but those chances aren't very good.

Only chance of UT keeping this game close is if the UT offense has a consistent running game and control the clock. On defense we have to control the edges and have good gap control. If the Oregon skill players get into the open field our back seven will not be able to run with them and it will become an Oregon track meet.

People just don't understand how badly the back seven is going to suck this year. The CB's aren't good and there is zero depth at linebacker. NONE. Mariota, as a frosh, threw 32 TD's and completed 68% of his passes. He's going to go for 300 yards.

Anyways, the answer to the question is...Zero. Nada. Zilch. Even if UT loses 63-0 it doesn't matter. The goal is to win seven games and go bowling and compete against UF, UGA, and USCe.

If we can't compete with the ducks then we have no chance against UF, UGA, and USCe. So many are saying we have no chance but in reality there's always a chance. I give us a 60-40 chance of winning. The game still has to be played. Until it is then there's a chance.

If we can't compete with the ducks then we have no chance against UF, UGA, and USCe. So many are saying we have no chance but in reality there's always a chance. I give us a 60-40 chance of winning. The game still has to be played. Until it is then there's a chance.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Oregon is better than UF and SCAR. I would give GA a slight edge over the Ducks based on their performance in the SECCG last year though.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Oregon is better than UF and SCAR. I would give GA a slight edge over the Ducks based on their performance in the SECCG last year though.

Oregon is not better than UF nor SCAR....if you can run the ball and keep that offense off of the field you can beat them. Look at what Stanford did to Oregon.

Some of you all are pissing your pants before the game has even started. Some of you all make me ashamed to be a VOLS fan. :cray:

Reactions: 2 people
Oregon is not better than UF nor SCAR....if you can run the ball and keep that offense off of the field you can beat them. Look at what Stanford did to Oregon.

Some of you all are pissing your pants before the game has even started. Some of you all make me ashamed to be a VOLS fan. :cray:

I'm just being a realist based on what I have seen to this point. Do I want to the vols to win? Of course, but you have to be objective too. BTW, Stanford is a top ten team this year so it was not a huge upset for them to beat the ducks last year. Some people are even picking Stanford to be in the BCS title game. I respect your opinions but look at Oregon's offensive side of the ball and compare it to UF's and SCAR and tell me which one is better. Additionally, Oregon is returning an athletic speedy defense as well.

I'm just being a realist based on what I have seen to this point. Do I want to the vols to win? Of course, but you have to be objective too. BTW, Stanford is a top ten team this year so it was not a huge upset for them to beat the ducks last year. Some people are even picking Stanford to be in the BCS title game. I respect your opinions but look at Oregon's offensive side of the ball and compare it to UF's and SCAR and tell me which one is better. Additionally, Oregon is returning an athletic speedy defense as well.

Oh, I dunno. maybe if you spent more timing loving the Vols and less time making Duck love, people wouldn't be so peeved at you. Why continue harping on our zero chances against the Ducks? I mean, I hope we win but think we may not. However, I don't throw out repetitive posts or make towering defense of my position on that. Matter of fact, I'm gradually (as in snail paced) beginning to think that barring injuries, we might just come out of Oregon with a "W."
Miracle at South bend, Miracle in Miami, it can happen. :yahoo:

Oregon game has no bearing on CBJ in my eyes. Oregon is a top 5 team. Anyone who thinks Tennessee has that level of talent is kidding themselves and living in Dreamland. My hope is the team can play well enough to maintain confidence for the next week. Frankly, I think the talent is more comparable with Florida than I do Oregon.

VN Store

Back