How long will it take to be a championship team?

So according to your logic Bama, ND, Texas, Oklahoma, and USC should never have risen back to the top after being down for a decade or more. I mean...when ND was good in the early 90s...do these recruits remember that? Nah I don't think they do. Oklahoma was down for ages. Stoops came in and won a NC in no time! But I'm sure he couldn't recruit because they had been irrelevant for over a decade. How would the kids remember who Ok was? how long was USC down before Caroll? I'm sure them dudes didn't remember the Rodney Pete days, LMAO!

I'll go a bit further and ask you this. If kids don't remember who UT is, how the hell did UF ever get good? I mean you had a century of NOTHING to hang your hat on, then suddenly became dominant. Those kids could have been a hundred years old and still wouldn't remember the glory days of UF. Because THERE WERE NONE!!!! In comes a kick ass coach named Spurrier who knocked off a few teams and had recruits believing and the rest is history. To think Florida can go from being a never has been to national contender, yet UT, Neb, etc have winning tradition oozing out of their arse can't get back to the top...LOL. Well that's just typical LawGator thinking. Me and anyone who has dealt with this dude is use to it.

Bottom line, the right coach can easily elevate UT to a NC. I'll go on record as saying the same for Nebraska, Michigan, USC,etc.
:clap::yes:

Reactions: 2 people
THANK YOU RICH!!!

I am SO glad to see some Big Orange pride, instead of the defeatist attitude that has become so prevalent lately. Yes, Dooley led UT to lows never felt before. But, the same folks on here saying "Dooley recruited good classes but couldn't coach them", are the same folks saying "we have NO talent, we SUCK, and it may be years before we ever win 7 games again".

Maybe we have a tough season, or maybe we have found good coaches who can coach these supposed top 20 recruiting classes of Dooley's to some wins!

Well I shouldn't have gotten so bent out of shape, but LawGator is full of it. And will flat out lie to try to push his agenda. He doesn't even care if you know he's lying as long as it floats his boat.

To put UF way up top several tiers above Michigan, Nebraska, USC, FSU, etc. is laughable. Same with UT. Point is, I don't like those programs. I don't care if their stadium burns down as I'm typing this. But I do respect those programs to no end. I view those programs as some of the VERY VERY best in college football. They might not currently have the best teams, but all of those programs have sustained success for a reason. And they will all see success again. They will ALL, each and every one win more NCs IMO. I'm serious, that's how much respect I have for them.

Don't think Nebraska is gonna keep Pelini if he doesn't eventually win some BCS's, etc. they will keep trying until they get their man. Same with Michigan, USC, Tennessee,etc. however, once they get a man in place these type programs always do it and do it big. Each of these teams will win more conference and NCs. Just as they will all see down years in the future too. My question to LawGator and other Gators...will you consider UF a top tier program when they have down years? Because everyone has down years. When you're down and your self proclaimed "lower tier" teams are up, how will you see it then? I will see it the same. I will see UF as a top tier program who's down but with a good coach is dangerous.

I guess the funniest part is when he put UF 3 tiers above Nebraska, all I could see in my mind was Nebraska beating the effing brakes off Florida for the.......National Chapionship. LOL

Reactions: 2 people
Well I shouldn't have gotten so bent out of shape, but LawGator is full of it. And will flat out lie to try to push his agenda. He doesn't even care if you know he's lying as long as it floats his boat.

To put UF way up top several tiers above Michigan, Nebraska, USC, FSU, etc. is laughable. Same with UT. Point is, I don't like those programs. I don't care if their stadium burns down as I'm typing this. But I do respect those programs to no end. I view those programs as some of the VERY VERY best in college football. They might not currently have the best teams, but all of those programs have sustained success for a reason. And they will all see success again. They will ALL, each and every one win more NCs IMO. I'm serious, that's how much respect I have for them.

Don't think Nebraska is gonna keep Pelini if he doesn't eventually win some BCS's, etc. they will keep trying until they get their man. Same with Michigan, USC, Tennessee,etc. however, once they get a man in place these type programs always do it and do it big. Each of these teams will win more conference and NCs. Just as they will all see down years in the future too. My question to LawGator and other Gators...will you consider UF a top tier program when they have down years? Because everyone has down years. When you're down and your self proclaimed "lower tier" teams are up, how will you see it then? I will see it the same. I will see UF as a top tier program who's down but with a good coach is dangerous.

I guess the funniest part is when he put UF 3 tiers above Nebraska, all I could see in my mind was Nebraska beating the effing brakes off Florida for the.......National Chapionship. LOL

Well stated. That, however, is typical Florida arrogance and self-serving selectivity, i.e. conveniently dismiss everything that occurred before Spurrier as irrelevant. To think, they also had the audacity to believe that, after losing to Nebraska by 38 points (62-24), they should not have fallen in the polls.

Reactions: 1 person
('67 was recognized by the school retroactively and was only done so with a single minor poll naming TN champs...a 2-loss TN that lost it's bowl game; TN was #2 before the bowl game, but lost to OU and ended the season ranked #9 in the AP. #1 going into the bowls was USC who won their bowl game, went 10-1, and was named #1 by pretty much every major and minor bowl save the one mentioned earlier....I have no idea why UT even started claiming this title (and they really shouldn't count it anyways) unless it was just because it was a team coached by Doug Dickey)

Well stated. That, however, is typical Florida arrogance and self-serving selectivity, i.e. conveniently dismiss everything that occurred before Spurrier as irrelevant. To think, they also had the audacity to believe that, after losing to Nebraska by 38 points (62-24), they should not have fallen in the polls.

who should have florida have dropped behind?

a team florida hung 62 on during the season?

that makes a lot of sense.

hopefully, not long

coaches who won the national title in their second year
stoops, tressel, meyer, chizik

third year
saban, miles

I was thinking the same thing. If rex is referring to UT he needs to go back and look at the UF game from that year. As odd of a game as it was, UF still scored 62 points on UT.

3 years tops, Butch has done it everywhere else he's been. The guy just knows how to win. How many other coaches in the country could have a top 4 recruiting class coming off 3 straight losing seasons.

The problem is this isn't the Big East. Half of the conference can claim a conference title in 2012 (Louisville, Rutgers, Cincy, & Syracuse). You don't have that luxury in the SEC.

Regarding recruiting, what he's done is impressive. However, it is 9 months until signing day. There will be a lot of moving around regarding the recruiting national championship (sarcasm).

I actually looked at this for a blog post that I wrote recently. I wanted to see how long it took before a coach won a national championship, and I arbitrarily chose the past 20 years as a sample size.

Here is what I wrote:

Let us look at a list of all Coaches in the past 20 years who have won a National Championship.

Bobby Bowden, Florida State (1993)
Tom Osborne, Nebraska (1994)
Steve Spurrier, Florida (1996)
Lloyd Carr, Michigan (1997)
Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee (1998)
Bob Stoops, Oklahoma (2000)
Larry Coker, Miami (2001)
Jim Tressel, Ohio State (2002)
Nick Saban, <--the devil
Pete Carroll, USC (2004)
Mack Brown, Texas (2005)
Urban Meyer, Florida (2006/2008)
Les Miles, LSU (2007)
Gene Chizik, Auburn (2010)

The average number of years that any of these men coached at a school before they won their first national championship was 5.9. If you remove the two late bloomers from the list, Bowden and Osborne, the average drops to 2.6 years.

What does this illustrate?

In 20 years, 86% of coaches who won a national championship averaged 2.6 years from being hired to winning it all. The two others (14%) averaged 19 years from their start to the national championship.

EDIT: As many noted, I had incorrectly inserted an extra title for Bowden that belonged to Osborne. That oversight is fixed, but did not effect the underlying evaluation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Nice list! Although 1997 belongs in Osborne's, not Bowden's.

When you look at the list it shows you can get it done, quickly. Keep in mind Bama was in a "playoff game" in 2008 against UF to play Oklahoma. Also, in 2011, Petrino had a chance to get into the mix had Ark beaten LSU.

I actually looked at this for a blog post that I wrote recently. I wanted to see how long it took before a coach won a national championship, and I arbitrarily chose the past 20 years as a sample size.

Here is what I wrote:

Let us look at a list of all Coaches in the past 20 years who have won a National Championship.

Bobby Bowden, Florida State (1993/1997/1999)
Tom Osborne, Nebraska (1994/1995)
Steve Spurrier, Florida (1996)
Lloyd Carr, Michigan (1997)
Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee (1998)
Bob Stoops, Oklahoma (2000)
Larry Coker, Miami (2001)
Jim Tressel, Ohio State (2002)
Nick Saban, <--the devil
Pete Carroll, USC (2004)
Mack Brown, Texas (2005)
Urban Meyer, Florida (2006/2008)
Les Miles, LSU (2007)
Gene Chizik, Auburn (2010)

The average number of years that any of these men coached at a school before they won their first national championship was 5.9. If you remove the two late bloomers from the list, Bowden and Osborne, the average drops to 2.6 years.

What does this illustrate?

In 20 years, 86% of coaches who won a national championship averaged 2.6 years from being hired to winning it all. The two others (14%) averaged 19 years from their start to the national championship.

Very good info!

Nice list! Although 1997 belongs in Osborne's, not Bowden's.

When you look at the list it shows you can get it done, quickly. Keep in mind Bama was in a "playoff game" in 2008 against UF to play Oklahoma. Also, in 2011, Petrino had a chance to get into the mix had Ark beaten LSU.

Very sorry for the typo. :(

The good news is that the conclusions do not change as I only counted the amount of time from when a coach was first hired at the school where he won his first national championship, then only counted the time to his first championship.

So you are saying, in typical Floridian self-serving fashion, that Florida should be uniquely invulnerable to repercussions imposed by the polls for losing so badly in a bowl game. Sorry, that simply is NOT the way things have worked historically. Case in point: As heavy underdogs, we beat 2nd-ranked Miami 35-7 in the '86 Sugar Bowl. Miami fell to 9th and 8th, respectively, in the final AP and Coaches poll.

Conversely, we were ranked 3rd at the end of the regular season in 1997 but fell to 7th in the final AP Poll after losing to Nebraska by a mere 25 points and "holding" the Cornhuskers to only 42 points, as opposed to your 38-point loss to a Nebraska team that rang up 62.

Last edited:
So you are saying, in typical Floridian self-serving fashion, that Florida should be uniquely invulnerable to repercussions imposed by the polls for losing so badly in a bowl game. Sorry, that simply is NOT the way things have worked historically. Case in point: As heavy underdogs, we beat 2nd-ranked Miami 35-7 in the '86 Sugar Bowl. Miami fell to 9th and 8th, respectively, in the final AP and Coaches poll.

Conversely, we were ranked 3rd at the end of the regular season in 1997 but fell to 7th in the final AP Poll after losing to Nebraska by a mere 25 points and "holding" the Cornhuskers to only 42 points, as opposed to your 38-point loss to a Nebraska team that rang up 62.

It's not the only season that has happened.

The "we was robbed" angle just falls flat to me.

In addition, it's extremely arrogant to argue that you should be ranked higher than a team that whipped you in this circumstance.

Don't lecture a gator fan about arrogance when y'all float around that decade of dominance video.

Last edited:
And it is just as supremely arrogant to argue that losing by 38 points in your bowl game does not merit falling several spots in the polls, whether Tennessee or any other team in the country was ranked directly behind you. Suffice it to say that this is a point upon which we will never agree; the ultimate truth of the matter, however, is that we both owe Nebraska a smidgen of gratitude. The physical whipping that they administered to both of our teams toughened them and primed them for national championship runs the following season.

I think most Vol fans would agree that Butch gets it. Every thread I have read has someone posting that he does...but how long will it take for him to get us back to SEC/National championship form?

2 years? 5 years?

I'm going to say we have an 8 win season within 3 years... And a 10+ win season within 5 years... Once his recruits have come in and have established themselves in CBJ's system we will be there.

Even further... how long until we beat Alabama and Florida?

I think we have 6 definite wins this season and maybe pull an upset vs UGA or SCAR for the 7th. One of those being a home beat down vs Vandy and a Bowl game.
Next season we sweep the UGA/ SCAR road games and put a whooping on Florida here at Neland. Then play in the SECCG.
After that we start zeroing in on Bama and shooting for National Championships.
Am I too optimistic?

‘Ere be da truff uf da madder. Ef wee ween ate tu nine gams, wees gon keel id on NSD wid mene flip signees. De secun yeah well sea us’n weening de Ees SEC chamyunsheep. An das de truff.

Last edited:
And it is just as supremely arrogant to argue that losing by 38 points in your bowl game does not merit falling several spots in the polls, whether Tennessee or any other team in the country was ranked directly behind you. Suffice it to say that this is a point upon which we will never agree; the ultimate truth of the matter, however, is that we both owe Nebraska a smidgen of gratitude. The physical whipping that they administered to both of our teams toughened them and primed them for national championship runs the following season.

The part in bold....there is a lot of truth there.

As far as where you end the season ranked, after #1 does it really matter that much?

Clearly in 1995 there was Nebraska sitting at the top. A few notches below that was UF. A notch or 2 below that was UT, Ohio State, FSU etc. UT and OSU were both ranked #4 going into the bowl game and UT won by 7.

It's not the only season that has happened.

The "we was robbed" angle just falls flat to me.

In addition, it's extremely arrogant to argue that you should be ranked higher than a team that whipped you in this circumstance.

Don't lecture a gator fan about arrogance when y'all float around that decade of dominance video.

I like you 99gator, and you are a solid addition to the board.

However, on our board, I think we have the right to lecture gator fans however we see fit. :thumbsup:

(Still not sold on a Tebow-less Meyer in the SEC. There's a reason for the Carter liver pills and the quick escape)

Last edited:
Very sorry for the typo. :(

The good news is that the conclusions do not change as I only counted the amount of time from when a coach was first hired at the school where he won his first national championship, then only counted the time to his first championship.

Your list is proof that with the correct "culture change" it doesn't have to take a recruiting cycle to build a winner.

Weird that Florida is tier 2 and Florida State is tier 4. I never would have thought there was such disparity.

Hmmm...well, let's look at recent results. Over the last three years Florida's record is 26-13, while Florida State's is 31-10. Huh? That's kind of weird, since Florida is two tiers above FSU. Well, how about head to head results? Florida State has won 2 of the last 3? Wow, this just gets stranger...Oh, but maybe we should look at recruiting rankings. Well, that's weird. It looks like the average ranking of the last three signing classes for each school (per Rivals) is FSU is 6 and Florida is 6.15.

But you're saying that Florida is a full two tiers ahead of FSU? Odd. I mean, surely this a well-informed perspective you're offering here and not just more silly gator trolling.

FSU is playing in the ACC. I'm sure we'd all agree that is a much, much weaker conference than the SEC. How many BCS games has FSU played in the last 5 years or so? Florida?

Look, I agree FSU made some strides the last 3 years, but they are already stalling out, losing players, controversy. And in the meantime, on the field, they are still losing one or two games every year that they are supposed to win.

Florida is not regularly competing for the BCS title, I'd agree. But Florida seems to be in the discussion at least every few years. That's the kind of sustained, long term success I'm talking about. Florida is there. FSU is not.

VN Store

Back