I think Butch tipped his hand...

Worley will make remarkable progress in practice this week.

Not that I prefer him over the others but that's how I see it playing out. jmo

I'm all for the best player starting. But there is a huge difference in practice versus play.

Worley won the QB position based on practice before the season. Has had decent stats in the game, but not enough aggressiveness and some botched passes. He may be one of those guys that is a straight beast in practice, but gets game nerves like a lightweight boxer going up against Mike Tyson in his prime.

As stated before, I'm not sure if our freshmen QBs are ready for prime time or not. I'm not sure Worley is ready for prime time or not even though he's done decently well at game management so far. But it does seem he has a mental block going into games. This latest "QB search" could be CBJ's way of saying "Justin, I like you, but nobody on this team is so critical they cannot be replaced." Could make him work harder, get over nerves, etc.

Reactions: 2 people
All of you experts: I'm impressed with your knowledge of the Tennessee QB situation. I bet Butch loves all of you at practice watching and evaluating his QB's.

Let's try this. Take your favorite Peterman, Ferguson, Dobbs and let's pretend they started against Oregon. How much better would it have been?

I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: 1 person
If VN existed in 1994

"Man, this Manning kid is skinny and immobile. Brandon Stewart's mobility gives us a better chance to win. He reminds me of Shuler."
That's funny.....CBJ trying to make all the Negative Nellies feel good. It will be Worley and if game goes badly Peterman will get a chance. No freshmen will be seen unless Worley and Peterman are injured.

Starting one of the freshmen this week would be dumb--you can't do it at florida, it is a recipe for disaster. Play either Peterman or Worley. I doubt Peterman will do much better than Worley, frankly--unless he can run pretty well. I watched all our plays from the Oregon game--and surprisingly I came away from it thinking that Worley was not all that bad. Our receivers by and large were not open in the game. What we need is for guys to get open for short passes.

All of you experts: I'm impressed with your knowledge of the Tennessee QB situation. I bet Butch loves all of you at practice watching and evaluating his QB's.

Let's try this. Take your favorite Peterman, Ferguson, Dobbs and let's pretend they started against Oregon. How much better would it have been?

I'll hang up and listen.

According to some on here, Peterman, Dobbs or Ferguson would have levitated over the Oregon defenses and come down in the end zone Tebow style.

Reactions: 4 people
Worley will start the game. Then once the game is out of hand, he will insert a freshman. Worley will lose his job. At the seasons end, Worley will announce that he will transfer to Furman or some other smaller college in the state of South Carolina.

This. He only has a year left though, right?

I agree. No sense in burning those in a hurry. And with Peterman being from FL, that has got to be extra motivation to prove something. I would also hate to see our senior and junior QB's consider transferring if a freshman were to take hold of the position.

Sometimes being snubbed by in state schools can motivate you to play better or worse. Sometimes you force more and make errors. How many times did Randall Cobb fumble against Tennessee trying to make extra yards and such because he hates us.

Worley will start, just saying. I hope im wrong, really hoped he could do it. I blame Dooley for his development.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

According to some on here, Peterman, Dobbs or Ferguson would have levitated over the Oregon defenses and come down in the end zone Tebow style.

Lol, you certaintly understand how it works. :)

The back-up is always the popular guy.

Butch has evaluated these guys and chose to go with Worley. Now, maybe Worley is a practice hero/gameday zero. But, I'm inclined to believe Butch's comments regarding the QB competition serves a few purposes. 1) Soothe the masses after a beatdown. 2) Give Florida something to think about. 3) A foot in the ass to Worley, letting him know that others are willing to take his job if he doesn't step it up a notch. It's coach speak. IMHO

I will be thoroughly surprised if Butch doesn't commend the whole team (including Worley) for great effort and making strides in practice this week.

In short, to me it's nothing more than coach speak and motivation.

Worley will start and Peterman will get some snaps. IMHO

My only thing is why would you go public and say its reopen, if your just gonna march Worley back out there. It's just stupid. I hope fergs steps up!

When a coach challenges a player to perform better its always done on the practice field in privacy. When you have to go public with this kind of a statement and say competition is open, its a last form of motivation to do what you are asking of them as a coach. After week one, Spurrier called out Jadeveon Clowney and within a few days got better practices out of him and better game play.

This is another way of making the gators prep for more than one qb and their tendencies...If they feel they need to.

If a freshman QB could handle it they would have already seen the field.

Depends on how Dobbs and Ferguson have progressed. The fact that neither were able to be here for spring practice put them behind Worley and Peterman in learning the system. By now, they have had time to catch up to a degree.

I would hope to get their feet wet against someone other than Florida, but hopefully if either of them come in Saturday, they will be dialed in for it. Sadly, it is obvious by now that Worley has some performance issues that needs to be corrected. In fairness, he is not the only player on the offense that seems to have that problem.

This. He only has a year left though, right?

Yes, Worley is a junior. However, if that happens, he would have to be granted a release to play elsewhere. Would hate for that to happen though. Right now, many would disagree, but I don't think we have yet seen the real Justin Worley take the field. Somewhere along the way, he has lost the swagger he had in high school. Someone else blamed Dooley, and I consider that reasonable. Don't know what Justin needs to get it back, but I hope he finds it.

My only thing is why would you go public and say its reopen, if your just gonna march Worley back out there. It's just stupid. I hope fergs steps up!

It might light a fire under him. It might make him less careful/tentative and more tuck the ball and make something happen. The coaches are looking for something different from somebody.

What stands out to me is this. If Worley was that good, CBJ wouldn't have waited till just before the season started to announce him as the starter. Then after 3 games and Worley making consistent bad passes, CBJ anoounces that the positions open for grabs again. Worley is a great kid, but he is can't perform. Hate to see it, but he's got to go. Even if it takes a little while for one of the others to get it, there's only an upside to putting them in. They can be any worse at passing. Worley has experience and lots of reps, but still cant pass and be aggressive.

I'll hang up and listen.

Let's try this. How much worse would they have done? And we'll add a little, how much more upside would there be by starting any one of those guys. Along with, what possible reason could there have been for bringing Worley back to open the second half?

The only problem with this is that Dobbs isn't anywhere near as fast as Mariotta. There are no similarities between the two that I can see.

That's brings up a question or two I've been meaning to ask all of the "Coaches" here on VN.

Why do they practice our starting defense against a freshman (Dobb's) working with the scout team (other freshman and walkons) to simulate a running QB and offense (Oregon, Florida, SC) when that is they style of offense we want to run? Wouldn't it be better for our starting D to practice against our starting O and do it in a way that allows both to practice what they need to practice and against better more realistic competition?

Just curious...

Worley will start, but you will see Dobbs or Peterman come in for some series to run read option. We really need to see if either is a gamer and have better games then practice. I think Dobbs can improvise better while Peterman would be better equipped to play now.

I hope they don't burn both red shirts for Dobbs and Ferguson.

I'll hang up and listen.

Honestly, Peterman might have played better, but more than likely would have played worse. And Dobbs or Ferguson might have been injured. None of the three would have been able to have made much difference against Oregon. QB play was only one of many issues at Autzen Stadium.

VN Store

Back