I think Butch tipped his hand...

What stands out to me is this. If Worley was that good, CBJ wouldn't have waited till just before the season started to announce him as the starter. Then after 3 games and Worley making consistent bad passes, CBJ anoounces that the positions open for grabs again. Worley is a great kid, but he is can't perform. Hate to see it, but he's got to go. Even if it takes a little while for one of the others to get it, there's only an upside to putting them in. They can be any worse at passing. Worley has experience and lots of reps, but still cant pass and be aggressive.

I agree with you on this. This is a team that is mostly freshmen/sophomores other than the o line. If we are going to suck it up this year I say put a freshmen QB in there and lets let this young team and new coach staff grow up together and hopefully in 3/4 years they can rise to the top!

The only problem with this is that Dobbs isn't anywhere near as fast as Mariotta. There are no similarities between the two that I can see.

You serious, Clark?

Serviceable to good in the pocket, comfortable and elusive out of it, can make plays on the run. Accurate and intelligent, with good mechanics.

Dobbs is by far and away the most Mariota-like QB on UT's roster.

Reactions: 1 person
Practice report said Peterman got a lot of snaps today with the first team. Not so much the true freshmen. In passing drills the completion percentage was not good over all for both qb's.

Lol, you certaintly understand how it works. :)

The back-up is always the popular guy.

Butch has evaluated these guys and chose to go with Worley. Now, maybe Worley is a practice hero/gameday zero. But, I'm inclined to believe Butch's comments regarding the QB competition serves a few purposes. 1) Soothe the masses after a beatdown. 2) Give Florida something to think about. 3) A foot in the ass to Worley, letting him know that others are willing to take his job if he doesn't step it up a notch. It's coach speak. IMHO

I will be thoroughly surprised if Butch doesn't commend the whole team (including Worley) for great effort and making strides in practice this week.

In short, to me it's nothing more than coach speak and motivation.

Worley will start and Peterman will get some snaps. IMHO

Agreed, I say they jump in Worleys rear this week and ride him hard. In my opinion I think they give him the first half to show something or he's replaced from here on out.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch is genius really. He put Worley in not only because that's what the majority of Vol fans wanted but just because Worley was the most seasoned. He initially put Worley in to appease the masses all the while knowing that Worley would not impress and not be fit for Butch's style of offense. He had to prove to the fans that Worley isn't where it's at.

Here's what you all wanted and you got it, now here's what I'm putting in!

3649b1a48fd396965e65c0e92aa1f554.jpg

If this is case that Worley isn't starting, then it would have made even more since not to start Worley the 2nd haf at Oregon. Let younger guys get some playing time with what was left of hostel crowd. IMO as I stated right after Oregon.

Butch is genius really. He put Worley in not only because that's what the majority of Vol fans wanted but just because Worley was the most seasoned. He initially put Worley in to appease the masses all the while knowing that Worley would not impress and not be fit for Butch's style of offense. He had to prove to the fans that Worley isn't where it's at.

I don't call that being a genius at all. If that is the case we don't need a coach just let media and fans vote for starting line up.

Reactions: 2 people
Practice report said Peterman got a lot of snaps today with the first team. Not so much the true freshmen. In passing drills the completion percentage was not good over all for both qb's.

It's gonna be Worley or Peterman..oh well it is what is!

My opinion, Peterman gets the start because Butch has to shake things up. I would not be surprised if we see a true frosh playing before the game ends. Worley would have to have some huge practices to get into this game.

out of hand? out of hand? i dont see this one being like oregon at all....

now that we've seen top notch speed, florida being down this year....playing field is even my friends....UT 24 Baby gators 20

...on the QB situation this week. He may say that it's open and Worley has an equal shot at being the man vs Florida, but I think he's already made decisions that rule that out - or at least make it highly unlikely. I'm basing my suspicion (not fact) on this:

“Well, first of all it’s been challenging at the quarterback position just because we haven’t had any big splash plays. I’d like to see Justin (Worley) settle in a little bit more and a little more aggressive. I thought the play that he had on the touchdown pass to Jason Croom, I thought he stepped back, he was assertive, he set his feet, he demanded command in the pocket, and he was confident and he threw the ball over there and he was accurate. We need him to attack more, but just like any position in our program, it’s open. Whatever quarterback has the best week of practice is going to be the starter for Tennessee when we play Florida. If that means a freshman quarterback, that means a freshman quarterback. We’ll have more quarterback run in to our package this week. We just need to find ways to generate big explosive plays and if that’s Josh Dobbs running the read option or Riley Ferguson, that’s what we’ll do to create big plays. That’s going to be our focus and preparation this week.”

I just don't think there's any way you say that and then roll Worley back out there. I might think he'll start Worley and send in others on occasional plays to run the whatever-gun but we've seen that design plays like that don't fare well against SEC defenses. And this whole thing really only works overall if we have the threat of those explosive plays happening anytime, and the whole world has seen that there is about 1% threat of a big explosive play with Worley. That's not knocking Worley, it's just acknowledging that's who he is. He's a game manager, protect the football while you're handing it off kinda guy. When he went back on the "don't have to look over his shoulder" policy and added the QB-run plans into the mix, I think he pretty much just announced that we're about to see a freshman QB get his first start in The Dump.

Thoughts....

Let's imagine that bUTch didn't mention this and we started playing like this in the beginning of the game. Once Florida saw what we were doing, they would adjust their defense accordingly. So, what if the big deal if he mentions this or not?

...on the QB situation this week. He may say that it's open and Worley has an equal shot at being the man vs Florida, but I think he's already made decisions that rule that out - or at least make it highly unlikely. I'm basing my suspicion (not fact) on this:

“Well, first of all it’s been challenging at the quarterback position just because we haven’t had any big splash plays. I’d like to see Justin (Worley) settle in a little bit more and a little more aggressive. I thought the play that he had on the touchdown pass to Jason Croom, I thought he stepped back, he was assertive, he set his feet, he demanded command in the pocket, and he was confident and he threw the ball over there and he was accurate. We need him to attack more, but just like any position in our program, it’s open. Whatever quarterback has the best week of practice is going to be the starter for Tennessee when we play Florida. If that means a freshman quarterback, that means a freshman quarterback. We’ll have more quarterback run in to our package this week. We just need to find ways to generate big explosive plays and if that’s Josh Dobbs running the read option or Riley Ferguson, that’s what we’ll do to create big plays. That’s going to be our focus and preparation this week.”

I just don't think there's any way you say that and then roll Worley back out there. I might think he'll start Worley and send in others on occasional plays to run the whatever-gun but we've seen that design plays like that don't fare well against SEC defenses. And this whole thing really only works overall if we have the threat of those explosive plays happening anytime, and the whole world has seen that there is about 1% threat of a big explosive play with Worley. That's not knocking Worley, it's just acknowledging that's who he is. He's a game manager, protect the football while you're handing it off kinda guy. When he went back on the "don't have to look over his shoulder" policy and added the QB-run plans into the mix, I think he pretty much just announced that we're about to see a freshman QB get his first start in The Dump.

Thoughts....

With so few effective offensive plays last week, Jones surely noticed two that were effective... Worley on the QB sneak for a first down and Peterman handing off to Hill on a power right for a TD. Both of those plays were with the QB under center.

I think Jones is more committed to the running game than he is to the read option. It would not surprise me to see Worley running more plays from under center in a single back I set. If that works, we'll see how Worley does with the play action.

Power I? I doubt it, no fullbacks.

If any QB besides Worley starts this week, it will be Peterman. There is a reason he is the #2 QB and the only other one to get snaps so far. They aren't just gonna skip over their #2 QB without giving him a shot. Now, if he comes in and is terrible, you might see a freshman go in. Otherwise it will be Peterman if it's not Worley. You aren't gonna burn the redshirt on either freshman before you at least give your backup QB a shot first.

If any QB besides Worley starts this week, it will be Peterman. There is a reason he is the #2 QB and the only other one to get snaps so far. They aren't just gonna skip over their #2 QB without giving him a shot. Now, if he comes in and is terrible, you might see a freshman go in. Otherwise it will be Peterman if it's not Worley. You aren't gonna burn the redshirt on either freshman before you at least give your backup QB a shot first.
Maybe down the road, but not Saturday. If Peterman is awful, he might put Worley back in, but I can't imagine him throwing a freshman out there for his 1st action against that defense.

I'd say it's far more likely we'd see one of the freshman next week.

Thoughts....

This is a way for a coach to critique a college player to the media (which is part of the job for a coach at times) WITHOUT throwing the player under the bus. This respectful IMHO.

In addition to that I agree with the OP. There will be a qb change probably.

You really believe the fans were clammoring for Worley? I didn't see that. In fact, the preseason buzz that I heard all over these boards and websites was about the freshmen, with occasional chatter about Peterman. Worley was an afterthought, at best, among the chatter and the consensus seemed to be that if he got the job it was just b/c no one else stepped up or was ready.

With so few effective offensive plays last week, Jones surely noticed two that were effective... Worley on the QB sneak for a first down and Peterman handing off to Hill on a power right for a TD. Both of those plays were with the QB under center.

I think Jones is more committed to the running game than he is to the read option. It would not surprise me to see Worley running more plays from under center in a single back I set. If that works, we'll see how Worley does with the play action.

Power I? I doubt it, no fullbacks.

I agree Butch seems to be wholly committed to the run, but doing it completely differently than the ol' Power T formation with blocking backs that we're used to seeing. Without a big brusier at fullback we'd have to convert a spare tight end or lineman...lol like we have spares...I just don't know if an immobile quarterback who doesn't have a good arm or accuracy can do enough to move the defense and enable a single back set to work. In fact considering the schedule we are about to face it would probably just get the running back killed.

Good point...can't see Clausen being a fit. The one former UT QB I wish we had to run it is Heath Shuler...he would be a beast in the zone-read, imo.

MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

Since you asked my thoughts are, "be careful what you wish for when it comes to starting a freshman QB in The Swamp." IMHO

yeah not a good idea. and you don't mess with the starters confidence either. i just don't like the little things butch says and decides on. i think he doesn't understand he's facing sec coaches who sense any kind of weakness. if we can see it then they can.

Or possibly just giving the Gators more to prepare for. I have no inside information but I still think Worely will take the opening snap on Saturday.

If this is case that Worley isn't starting, then it would have made even more since not to start Worley the 2nd haf at Oregon. Let younger guys get some playing time with what was left of hostel crowd. IMO as I stated right after Oregon.

i agree.

VN Store

Back