If we go 4 - 8 this year, do we fire Hart and Cheek?

In the offseason, I asked a tongue-in-cheek question that if we lost 8 games for the first time in our history, would we fire Butch.

That should not happen under any circumstances. Let me be clear. Well, we might actually lose 8, but we should NOT fire Butch.

However, it is clear that the Kiffin-Dooley years have left a cloud hanging over us. Hart allowed Dooley to stay on as coach after Lexington even though Dooley quit when Randy Sanders beat him with a WR QB and 6 plays. We wouldn't have had to pay the buyout.

Also, Hart's coaching list. Butch was #4 and after being declined repeatedly, Hart jumped. The fact is, Hart was presented with Gruden and he turned him away. Hart has been the blind squirrel that finds an acorn, IMHO, with Butch.

Hart has been keeping very quiet as he should. I think he should be in the crosshairs if we go 4 - 8. Cheek is self-explanatory too. He has made no progress on his flagship goals since his tenure began. And he is not friendly with the AD.

If we go 4 - 8, do we fire Hart and Cheek and give Butch every opportunity to succeed?

cheek is not going to be fired over a football record. LOL

Reactions: 2 people
cheek is not going to be fired over a football record. LOL

Some folks, Larry (utvolpj, zidane), take this way too seriously.

Having said that, I'd be looking for any excuse to unload Cheek who has done nothing to advance his flagship programs at UT. I certainly don't want to lose 8 (although I belated recognize it is possible now), but I'm searching for silver linings of such a situation.

In the offseason, I asked a tongue-in-cheek question that if we lost 8 games for the first time in our history, would we fire Butch.

That should not happen under any circumstances. Let me be clear. Well, we might actually lose 8, but we should NOT fire Butch.

However, it is clear that the Kiffin-Dooley years have left a cloud hanging over us. Hart allowed Dooley to stay on as coach after Lexington even though Dooley quit when Randy Sanders beat him with a WR QB and 6 plays. We wouldn't have had to pay the buyout.

Also, Hart's coaching list. Butch was #4 and after being declined repeatedly, Hart jumped. The fact is, Hart was presented with Gruden and he turned him away. Hart has been the blind squirrel that finds an acorn, IMHO, with Butch.

Hart has been keeping very quiet as he should. I think he should be in the crosshairs if we go 4 - 8. Cheek is self-explanatory too. He has made no progress on his flagship goals since his tenure began. And he is not friendly with the AD.

If we go 4 - 8, do we fire Hart and Cheek and give Butch every opportunity to succeed?

hart should be gone. horrible AD.

Reactions: 1 person
My 6-6 prediction earlier this year is looking to be a stretch now

I had us at 7 - 5 with the Butch factor.

I don't want to be defeatist during Florida week, but, and I never thought the day would come that I would say this....

The South Alabama game is H-U-G-E.

Why??? you had Oregon down as a win?

Seems like we're right on expectations now. When we lose a game we're supposed to (or should) win, then it will become a stretch...i.e. UK, Vandy, Auburn, Mizzou. We need S. Ala., and 3 of those 4 and we'll be 6-6.

Reactions: 2 people
Why??? you had Oregon down as a win?

Seems like we're right on expectations now. When we lose a game we're supposed to (or should) win, then it will become a stretch...i.e. UK, Vandy, Auburn, Mizzou. We need S. Ala., and 3 of those 4 and we'll be 6-6.

At this stage, if Butch and co win 75% of the November games, he will definitely have coached lights out. It will be an outstanding performance.

Hart was never presented with Gruden, if you think there was even the slightest possiblility of him coming here then you're out of your mind.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think anyone is fired this year regardless of the record, as most folks had UT pegged for another losing season because of the lack of talent on this team. If Butch continues to have success recruiting, we'll see a very different product on the field in 2-3 years and the mood on VN will be upbeat for a change. Vol fans are so very tired of watching a subpar performance and the ensuing embarrassment that acompanies such poor play.

Someone please explain to me the fascination with Gruden. I know he won 1 Superbowl but in his public demeanor he strikes me as smug and arrogant. I may be wrong and he may be a warm and fuzzy individual, but I can't imagine him connecting with 18-22 yr old players, fans, parents, donors and school administrators like Butch has. Do we know for sure that he can recruit and teach like Butch? Honestly I want to know if he demonstrated the traits that would make him a great college coach when he was an assistant.

I say "patience Grasshopper", Rome wasn't built in a day
The difference would've been that several elite prospects in the 2013 class made public statements to the effect that they would probably sign with any school that hired Gruden. He's seen as a conduit to the NFL and most elite prospects believe that the NFL is part of their futures. If the dominoes fell as expected we'd have a stronger roster. As it is, we are going to have to give CBJ 3 or 4 classes to build up and develop the roster. We're all going to have to accept the reality of the situation but some folks will always judge the state of things against whay might have been. I'm just glad that I now have another team to cheer for. A horizon filled with rolling around in the bottom of the conference doesn't seem so bad when you get to split your loyalties.

Thank you. I was looking for a post like this. Why do we keep dragging Cheek in to the conversation as if his job is dependent on the performance of our football team. I would hope not.

As for Hart, I see very little evidence that he needs to go. If you focus on the overall sports programs (there are more programs than football), that would be the measuring stick. I see the men's and women's basketball programs moving forward. This is even after Pat Summit.

I'm neither a Hart supporter or opponent. But, I do know that if you keep rearranging deck chairs on the titanic, you don't really accomplish anything. This program needs both Strong leadership and stability.

Jimmy Cheek's job has very little to do with football. I can't believe how many times I've had to write that on here.

We should give Hart a raise and new contract for turning Gruden away.

O God, we have the Gruden insider again ... aren't you Gruden friends of a friend of a friend on the board or that supposedly plays golf with Haslam embarrassed enough already?!?!? How do you even show your names & avatars on VN these days?

OP is an EPIC FAIL IMO.

We lose to the #2 team in the nation and now you're not sure about South Alabama??? A team we beat by 32, they beat by 7...

Gosh, just go ahead a pull the trigger, Mr. Depression.

Arguably the #1 team. I believe on a neutral field at this point in the season Oregon would beat Alabama.

The difference would've been that several elite prospects in the 2013 class made public statements to the effect that they would probably sign with any school that hired Gruden. He's seen as a conduit to the NFL and most elite prospects believe that the NFL is part of their futures. If the dominoes fell as expected we'd have a stronger roster.

Who expected the dominoes to fall this way except for irrational redneck UT fans?

What prospects said they would go to UT if Gruden was coach? I doubt any because there was never a chance he was coming to Knoxville and people w an IQ above 80 that live outside of east TN know that.

Stop. Just stop. Firing people is not the answer at this point.

I still would bet on 6-6. Predicting less would give too much weight on the Oregon game. Though, I do feel it less likely with the information we have now that we can have a better record than 50/50.

VN Store

Back