If we go 4 - 8 this year, do we fire Hart and Cheek?

There was just way too much info out there, and I believe Gruden wanted some time to think on it and eventually declined.

yes. there was so much smoke and from some usually reliable sources that either

1) Gruden was potentially in play at some point, or

2) it was a massive, well-orchestrated conspiracy

Gruden has flirted with other jobs and my suspicion is that he initially showed some interest (possible genuine, possibly to placate his wife, possibly to feed his ego) and the wildfire took off from that point.

as far as the OP, that firing ain't gonna happen. but i concur with BPV that the powers that be are putting a significant drag on the football program. that the job could not be sold to Charlie Strong speaks volumes.

Reactions: 1 person
It's really not fair to CBJ to rehash this because it is in the past. I am not the smartest guy either, but there is no doubt in my mind that there were legitimate discussions with Gruden by someone. There was just way too much info out there, and I believe Gruden wanted some time to think on it and eventually declined.

I agree that it's unfair to judge the current situation against some hypothetical circumstances. Until this program gets back to where it was in the 90s people are going to fantasize about scenarios that might put us there.

If we go 4 - 8 this year, do we fire Hart and Cheek?

I don't know, but can UT afford to fire anyone after the last couple years?

I'm for Butch having 5 years just to create player stability. He's got a good record and I think by his third year he'll be to 7-8 wins. The players we have are shell shocked from all the change and just playing to keep there education going as they should.

I'm sorry bro I hope we r good next year or even this yr but u do realize this is still Dooleys team really have u seen the dept we have , u see how bad Dooley recruited the recent years , all the relationships butch had to regain from what Dooley did butch is just now getting Tennessee back on there feet again now Give him time with getting players in and letting the man coach some games

What do you think Butch's recruiting will look like if he loses for 2-3 more years?

Reactions: 2 people
Cheek should have been fired when he signed off on a $5 million buyout for Dooley who never deserved the job to start with.

Assinine. Cheek merely adhered to the terms of Dooley's contract.

The man was hired to improve UT's academic standing and by all accounts he has done so. Hopefully Butch will do the same for our football fortunes...and then some.

Hart was given the opportunity to run with Gruden. Hart did not take up that opportunity.

Hart discussed the HC job with Gruden's agent for sure and possibly Gruden himself. Gruden did not want the job. Haslam was never directly involved in the coaching search. There may have been some wealthy boosters that approached Gruden or his agent but they couldn't represent the Athletic Department so that became a moot point. The 18 hour days of a college football coach and the enormous amount of rules may have had an impact on Gruden considering a job at UT. Gruden would have had to get a great staff to have been successful. The Chattanooga paper was probably hearing some of the same rumors that other people were hearing and as it turned out they were baseless. The name I heard from about December 1st on was Charlie Strong and you see how that turned out.
Be very thankful that you got Butch.

The difference would've been that several elite prospects in the 2013 class made public statements to the effect that they would probably sign with any school that hired Gruden. He's seen as a conduit to the NFL and most elite prospects believe that the NFL is part of their futures. If the dominoes fell as expected we'd have a stronger roster. As it is, we are going to have to give CBJ 3 or 4 classes to build up and develop the roster. We're all going to have to accept the reality of the situation but some folks will always judge the state of things against whay might have been. I'm just glad that I now have another team to cheer for. A horizon filled with rolling around in the bottom of the conference doesn't seem so bad when you get to split your loyalties.

So we would have ended up with a roster full of Bryce Browns. No, thanks I'll pass.

You might be a little optimictic at 4-8, 3-9 is a real possibility, but no I'm afraid with evrything going on at UT, no one get's fired.

I wish we could fire Cheek no matter what our record is. Hart has done a decent job we have to give Jones three years to right the ship. Right now he is guiding the Dooley ship and that is a hard boat to steer.

The Hill should NOT wait until the end of this or any season. Get rid of the Bammer Fodder.
This should be the AD of your University of Tennessee.
Class. Respected. Dignity. And a Vol through and through!! :rock:

download_zps43808be6.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Y'all are pathetic! You really think it helps firing someone if we don't magically turn it back to the winning traditions we have. yes it it aggravation watching our team get crushed for the passed 5 years. But it takes TIME and recruiting and support if you were a true fan of Tennessee you will support the president athletic director and coach jones. It's going to take 3 years of recruiting to get us back on track so you may wanna check yourself and if you don't want to support them than go jump on the Bama bandwagon or something firing people left and right doesn't solve your problems #VFL GO VOLS

FYI Alabama sucked for years before Saban 7-6 first year and now three national championships later yeah it takes time

In the offseason, I asked a tongue-in-cheek question that if we lost 8 games for the first time in our history, would we fire Butch.

That should not happen under any circumstances. Let me be clear. Well, we might actually lose 8, but we should NOT fire Butch.

However, it is clear that the Kiffin-Dooley years have left a cloud hanging over us. Hart allowed Dooley to stay on as coach after Lexington even though Dooley quit when Randy Sanders beat him with a WR QB and 6 plays. We wouldn't have had to pay the buyout.

Also, Hart's coaching list. Butch was #4 and after being declined repeatedly, Hart jumped. The fact is, Hart was presented with Gruden and he turned him away. Hart has been the blind squirrel that finds an acorn, IMHO, with Butch.

Hart has been keeping very quiet as he should. I think he should be in the crosshairs if we go 4 - 8. Cheek is self-explanatory too. He has made no progress on his flagship goals since his tenure began. And he is not friendly with the AD.

If we go 4 - 8, do we fire Hart and Cheek and give Butch every opportunity to succeed?

I agree on not firing CBJ,he will need years to right the ship,it will be some tough times over the next 4 to 5 years,I just hope there isn't a fire him crowd after next year,you know how the fan base is

To me Hart cut Dooley off at the knees,when he wouldn't give out contract extensions to Wilcox and company and brought a Bammer in to be DC,I would love to know whose idea it was to hire Sal

I don't think there was ever a chance of getting Gruden and he handled hiring a new coach poorly,so i say fire Hart

The Hill should NOT wait until the end of this or any season. Get rid of the Bammer Fodder.
This should be the AD of your University of Tennessee.
Class. Respected. Dignity. And a Vol through and through!! :rock:

download_zps43808be6.jpg

Charles seems like a great person and is good at his job but being an AD is different from being an announcer/analyst. To manage an organization with a 100 million dollar budget and hundreds of employees is a different animal.

Charles seems like a great person and is good at his job but being an AD is different from being an announcer/analyst. To manage an organization with a 100 million dollar budget and hundreds of employees is a different animal.

Yea a different animal alright. It will take the University Decades to get over Hammie and Harts mistakes. I would certainly give Charles a shot. Could not do any worse.

Yea a different animal alright. It will take the University Decades to get over Hammie and Harts mistakes. I would certainly give Charles a shot. Could not do any worse.

Lol I will give you Hammie, but unless you consider firing Dooley a mistake then you can't name a single mistake he has made. Unless you believe in that Gruden BS, at which point you are too stupid for me to even waste my time arguing with.

VN Store

Back