If Worley starts...

coaches make mistakes all the time even great coaches....you can bet mony Dobbs and Fergy have shown flashes of great talent thus far but Buch is hesitant because of them being true freshman while Worely at least isn't prone to huge mistakes...however, Worely results in not moving the chains and consecutive 3 and outs..while the true freshman might be able to make big plays here and there but be more prone to the big mistake..pick your poison...if it were me, i would at least pick the QB that gives us an actual chance to move the ball.....he might make some big mistakes, but hey, at least we will have really tried and at least he will hae gotten valuable experience and 1st team practice reps from now on....with Worely, we all know what will happen....NOTHING...and for those saying oh th Oregon score could have been much worse..who cares??? what is the difference between losing 100 to 14 compared to 59-14? both are massive slaughters...i would like to at least lose while trying my best and preparing for the future...Worley is one big dead end any way you look at it...

The funny thing about this post is that below it it says it was edited...

Reactions: 5 people
Basically it just goes to show how far we've fallen in the talent department and that should end the debate on "why we suck" "is Jones the guy" until AT LEAST NEXT YEAR. No more debate if Worley starts and finishes it shoud sum it up.

Do you really believe Dobbs or Fergy isn't more talented than Worely?????? !!!!!????

at some point we have to question the coach's decision making just like when we punted and punted against Oregon on 4th and 1s when we were already down by multiple scores and the failed first down by Marlin Lane that should have been called for a review by Jones....there is no way in hades that Worely is more talented than both of the true freshman....you just have to take a risk and play them..like Fulmer did with Ainge and Schaeffer in 2004...

Last edited:
Just to be fair here, I think losing three slot receivers had an impact on the game plan and performance against Oregon.

I feel like I'm coming across like a huge Worley homer, and I'm really not. But based in everything I've heard and read I just think he is still the logical choice to start tomorrow.

It may have disrupted the gameplan but that doesn't really excuse his accuracy issues.

Maybe Worley is our best bet at QB, I dunno..but I'd at least like to see someone else, even if it's just Peterman get a shot at playing with the #1s and get in to a rhythm just to see what he can do.

We know what Worley gives us..not much at all. Give someone else a shot.

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly!!! I have seen so many true fresman QBs that are so much better than Worely is...if Fergy is a legit talent, than Butch should just give him the nod by default....so far Butch strikes me as way too conservative...hope he proves me wrong..

Having a true freshman who is ready to start a game on the road, in week four, in the SEC, is the exception not the rule. Just saying.

Reactions: 2 people
It may have disrupted the gameplan but that doesn't really excuse his accuracy issues.

Maybe Worley is our best bet at QB, I dunno..but I'd at least like to see someone else, even if it's just Peterman get a shot at playing with the #1s and get in to a rhythm just to see what he can do.

They've done that all week (and at some point, prior) during practice though, haven't they?

coaches make mistakes all the time even great coaches....you can bet mony Dobbs and Fergy have shown flashes of great talent thus far but Buch is hesitant because of them being true freshman while Worely at least isn't prone to huge mistakes...however, Worely results in not moving the chains and consecutive 3 and outs..while the true freshman might be able to make big plays here and there but be more prone to the big mistake..pick your poison...if it were me, i would at least pick the QB that gives us an actual chance to move the ball.....he might make some big mistakes, but hey, at least we will have really tried and at least he will hae gotten valuable experience and 1st team practice reps from now on....with Worely, we all know what will happen....NOTHING...and for those saying oh th Oregon score could have been much worse..who cares??? what is the difference between losing 100 to 14 compared to 59-14? both are massive slaughters...i would like to at least lose while trying my best and preparing for the future...Worley is one big dead end any way you look at it...

Oh, but you might damage the QBs psyche if you throw him in too early. I say crap on that and agree with you.

I was in Athens when Shuler came in to replace Colquitt and performed beyond expectations. Also remember Andy Kelly coming in for Sterling Henton and playing like he had been the starter for years. But both those men had experience working with the system and the coaches for at least a year before becoming the starter.

We've got Peterman and two freshman backing Worley up. None of them have the extensive experience in the offense Kelly and Shuler had when their names were called by Majors.

If I were the coach, then it would take something special to convince me to replace the starter who has demonstrated in practice the most complete knowledge of the system and the ability to operate it with the fewest mistakes with someone whose only advantage is talent. Talent alone at quarterback is not enough to win a game against superior opposition.

Worley may not win games for us. But he will generally not be at fault for losing games due to turnovers. Against a Florida team prone to turnovers, we've got to have the quarterback in place who will not make the mistakes giving them a short field to play with.

If we win, then we're going to win it in a way General Neyland would be very familiar with. They may own us between the twenties. But if Tennessee can force them to go on long drives, then the odds are UF will give us an opportunity to "play for and make the breaks" due to their lack of fundamental discipline on offense.

Coach Jones is going to go with the guy at quarterback who doesn't get us beat. Against this Florida team, that isn't a bad decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Just to be fair here, I think losing three slot receivers had an impact on the game plan and performance against Oregon.

I feel like I'm coming across like a huge Worley homer, and I'm really not. But based in everything I've heard and read I just think he is still the logical choice to start tomorrow.

Agree. All the Worley hate like he's the only reason UT was blown out at Oregon is ridiculous. Is he the long term answer? Don't know, probably not. But is he THE problem right now? No way. He could have certainly played better but then so could our OL, WRs, Defense which gave up 59 pts, special teams.... We would've gotten crushed last week if Joe Montana was our QB.

They've done that all week (and at some point, prior) during practice though, haven't they?

Steve McNair, even in college, was either too hurt to practice/napped through practice.(This, an example of how much practice can actually effect some players/how their performance or lack of effects their in-game ability)

I put about 1% of faith in practice results. Mark Sanchez continually looks good in practice for the Jets, for example(well when he was healthy/the starter the past few years). We saw how that worked out.

I don't feel that way Freak. I understand. Plus the running game hasn't been steller.

I kept backing Worley because of that and the fact that he didn't throw a lot of picks or into triple coverages... but when he missed every open (I'm talking wide open) WR I had to pull my support.

Because two true freshman aren't ready to start in the Swamp in game four of their careers?

What do you mean they aren't ready? Fergy's going to use his laser guided warrior arm to drop passes into any coverage and Dobbs has already tweaked his Iron Man suit (it exceeded weight limits for the flight down but Butch's got someone figuring that sheet out as we speak).

Worley has definitely had accuracy issues. I think some of that comes from not being set due to the fact he's having to hold the ball longer than he would like to find an open receiver. But on the downfield passes we also don't know if the receivers are in the right spot. What looks like an overthrow could be a receiver cutting the route short. Just something to consider.

My only hope is that Butch goes with his instincts based on what he's seen in practice and doesn't give in to public outcry and play someone who isn't ready.

Reactions: 3 people
Steve McNair, even in college, was either too hurt to practice/napped through practice.

I put about 1% of faith in practice results. Mark Sanchez continually looks good in practice for the Jets, for example(well when he was healthy/the starter the past few years). We saw how that worked out.

And clearly no one on that Jets roster was any better that they should have been playing either.

And McNair's talent was already good/high enough that, even if he was too hurt to play, the guys behind him clearly weren't performing nearly well enough in practice to threaten taking his starting spot.

I can kind of get using Sanchez for comparison in making your point (though at the same time it does prove that just because one player's bad, it doesn't mean the players behind him at the same position are automatically better), but using McNair's situation here really doesn't fit the point you're trying to make.

Worley has definitely had accuracy issues. I think some of that comes from not being set due to the fact he's having to hold the ball longer than he would like to find an open receiver. But on the downfield passes we also don't know if the receivers are in the right spot. What looks like an overthrow could be a receiver cutting the route short. Just something to consider.

My only hope is that Btch goes with his instincts based on what he's seen in practice and doesn't give in to public outcry and play someone who isn't ready.

Agree with the last part.

And clearly no one on that Jets roster was any better that they should have been playing either.

And McNair's talent was already good/high enough that, even if he was too hurt to play, the guys behind him clearly weren't performing nearly well enough in practice to threaten taking his starting spot.

I can kind of get using Sanchez for comparison in making your point (though at the same time it does prove that just because one player's bad, it doesn't mean the players behind him at the same position are automatically better), but using McNair's situation here really doesn't fit the point you're trying to make.

The entire point is practice can ultimately mean jack **** for some players. There's reasons why when starters go down then some backup people have never heard of have stepped up, played extremely well and kept the starting spot. Hell, use examples of past Vols. Peyton Manning was what, the 3rd string his freshman year? Casey Clausen was #3 as well if I recall. They were both by far the best options on the team, but according to practice, they weren't.

I don't feel that way Freak. I understand. Plus the running game hasn't been steller.

I kept backing Worley because of that and the fact that he didn't throw a lot of picks or into triple coverages... but when he missed every open (I'm talking wide open) WR I had to pull my support.

He didn't miss EVERY one. :) He stats aren't great but they aren't as bad as some make them out to be.

What do you mean they aren't ready? Fergy's going to use his laser guided warrior arm to drop passes into any coverage and Dobbs has already tweaked his Iron Man suit (it exceeded weight limits for the flight down but Butch's got someone figuring that sheet out as we speak).

:) I feel sorry for these freshmen. If they don't come in and put up Heisman numbers this year, some people are going to be ready to run them out of town. The expectations are a little high to say least.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back