If Worley starts...

While I agree with your point, if CBJ had put anyone else in the game who proved nothing in practice, there would be a higher chance of a couple picks -possibly pick 6s- in the 1st half and things would have been serious ugly (yes it could've been worse).

This is a very legitimate concern!! Oregon led the nation last year in both interceptions (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2012&rpt=IA_teampassint&site=org&div=IA&dest=O), four of which were returned for touchdowns, and turnovers caused (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2012&rpt=IA_teamturnovergain&site=org&div=IA&dest=O).

The entire point is practice can ultimately mean jack **** for some players. There's reasons why when starters go down then some backup people have never heard of have stepped up, played extremely well and kept the starting spot. Hell, use examples of past Vols. Peyton Manning was what, the 3rd string his freshman year? Casey Clausen was #3 as well if I recall. They were both by far the best options on the team, but according to practice, they weren't.

Agree. However, if Worley can't complete a pass what does the other QBs look like in practice? That's all I'm worried about.

He didn't miss EVERY one. :) He stats aren't great but they aren't as bad as some make them out to be.

:) I feel sorry for these freshmen. If they don't come in and put up Heisman numbers this year, some people are going to be ready to run them out of town. The expectations are a little high to say least.

Expecting a QB who isn't awful is a lot different than expecting a QB who is the next Manziel.

Just to be fair here, I think losing three slot receivers had an impact on the game plan and performance against Oregon.

I feel like I'm coming across like a huge Worley homer, and I'm really not. But based in everything I've heard and read I just think he is still the logical choice to start tomorrow.

Freak said it again.

Worley is the starter.

roster isn't that depleted...worely sucks come on freak....

Our roster is depleted and it's really not debatable.

I'm not campaigning for Worley nor am I thrilled with the way he has played. I don't know who the quarterback should be, but I guarantee these young receivers will make any of them look bad at times.

Reactions: 2 people
He didn't miss EVERY one. :) He stats aren't great but they aren't as bad as some make them out to be.

Freak, I guess I can't handle the important open misses on 3rd down. Incomplete 3rd down passes means 4th down lol

Expecting a QB who isn't awful is a lot different than expecting a QB who is the next Manziel.

Worley missing throws doesn't make any of the other quarterbacks on the roster better. If Doug Matthews is correct and one of the freshmen throws to the defense more than the offense and the other can't handle the snap, I'm not sure what would be gained by throwing them to the wolves against Florida. I'd wait until S. Alabama, but that's just me.

I probably need to bolt because I feel like I'm talking in circles, but personally I just don't see any reason not to start Worley if no one can beat him out in practice.

Reactions: 1 person

Freak, I guess I can't handle the important open misses on 3rd down. Incomplete 3rd down passes means 4th down lol

I agree with you. He's thrown some real stinkers. If there's a better option or if we can sneak Peyton in there, I'm all for it.

Assuming Worley starts if he has a poor performance Butch will have backed himself into a corner with all this smoke and mirrors double secret practice stuff. Essentially as I see it, it's been primarily to back the fanbase off. I respect that but he's also building expectations that someone else will get a real shot.

Worley missing throws doesn't make any of the other quarterbacks on the roster better. If Doug Matthews is correct and one of the freshmen throws to the defense more than the offense and the other can't handle the snap, I'm not sure what would be gained by throwing them to the wolves against Florida. I'd wait until S. Alabama, but that's just me.

I probably need to bolt because I feel like I'm talking in circles, but personally I just don't see any reason not to start Worley if no one can beat him out in practice.

Why are we only considering the freshmen? Did Peterman get kicked off the team and I'm missing something? I'm being serious because I seem to be the only person who remembers that Peterman is on the team. All I've heard is "I don't want to start a freshman in the swamp" or "neither of the freshmen are playing well in practice".

That's all fine and good..but what about Peterman? He's gotten snaps in all 3 games. He's been the #2 guy pretty much the entire way. He's more athletic than Worley so probably fits the offense better in that regard. Why is the only replacement options being talked about the freshmen?

Just to be fair here, I think losing three slot receivers had an impact on the game plan and performance against Oregon.

I feel like I'm coming across like a huge Worley homer, and I'm really not. But based in everything I've heard and read I just think he is still the logical choice to start tomorrow.

I agree that the lack of experience at the WR position isn't helping matters out at all for Worley, but his bad QB mechanics and accuracy isn't something that's going to change. He's also very timid, and doesn't seem like a risk taker. Im glad that Worley has yet to make any critical mistakes, but he hasn't necessarily done anything effective for this offense either. I want to see life breathed back into this offense, and I just don't see Worley being able to provide it. Hopefully that changes tomorrow.

:) I feel sorry for these freshmen. If they don't come in and put up Heisman numbers this year, some people are going to be ready to run them out of town. The expectations are a little high to say least.

I hope not but knowing our fanbase we will have a few that have pitchforks at the ready for all occasions... :) Part of it is that their tapes are impressive but more than that we are hungry for a star, especially given the offense we had last year and no longer have.

I hope you wouldn't insult any of our QBs by calling them the next Manziel! :)

Perhaps they've got the potential to be the next Mariota or Manning but they've done nothing to deserve being insulted like that.

Why are we only considering the freshmen? Did Peterman get kicked off the team and I'm missing something? I'm being serious because I seem to be the only person who remembers that Peterman is on the team. All I've heard is "I don't want to start a freshman in the swamp" or "neither of the freshmen are playing well in practice".

That's all fine and good..but what about Peterman? He's gotten snaps in all 3 games. He's been the #2 guy pretty much the entire way. He's more athletic than Worley so probably fits the offense better in that regard. Why is the only replacement options being talked about the freshmen?

You're right. And Peterman will likely play tomorrow.

I agree that the lack of experience at the WR position isn't helping matters out at all for Worley, but his bad QB mechanics and accuracy isn't something that's going to change. He's also very timid, and doesn't seem like a risk taker. Im glad that Worley has yet to make any critical mistakes, but he hasn't necessarily done anything effective for this offense either. I want to see life breathed back into this offense, and I just don't see Worley being able to provide it. Hopefully that changes tomorrow.

Fair and valid points.

Pterman sucks as well....did you se him against Austin Peay???? No excuse for that performnce against a glorified high school team...Worey and Peterman both are very very mediocre QBs..

coaches make mistakes all the time even great coaches....you can bet mony Dobbs and Fergy have shown flashes of great talent thus far but Buch is hesitant because of them being true freshman while Worely at least isn't prone to huge mistakes...however, Worely results in not moving the chains and consecutive 3 and outs..while the true freshman might be able to make big plays here and there but be more prone to the big mistake..pick your poison...if it were me, i would at least pick the QB that gives us an actual chance to move the ball.....he might make some big mistakes, but hey, at least we will have really tried and at least he will hae gotten valuable experience and 1st team practice reps from now on....with Worely, we all know what will happen....NOTHING...and for those saying oh th Oregon score could have been much worse..who cares??? what is the difference between losing 100 to 14 compared to 59-14? both are massive slaughters...i would like to at least lose while trying my best and preparing for the future...Worley is one big dead end any way you look at it...

41 points :hi: :)

Worley hasn't been accurate but my main problem is he's running the read option and basically never keeps the ball. So if you're not being accurate and won't run with the ball it's pretty easy for the defense to just concentrate on Neal or whatever back there is.

Tennessee isn't likely going to beat Florida, Georgia, Bama or South Carolina. Butch needs to have a quarterback ready to win in November so this team can make a bowl game, whichever on it may be.

Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee isn't likely going to beat Florida, Georgia, Bama or South Carolina. Butch needs to have a quarterback ready to win in November so this team can make a bowl game, whichever on it may be.

On this we agree. IMO if Worley is going to be that guy though they are going to have to adjust play calling and move from the read option. At this point with Worley it's a useless charade.

It shows what kind of QBs our program has (altho it's possible someone turns out the real deal) and that

SPEAKS VOLUME.

I don't think we have to debate anything about about the coaching staff right now.

He will not start
no-no-no.gif

VN Store

Back