Is Bama UTs Biggest Rival?

I grew up close to the Alabama/Georgia border. So naturally I hate both teams but where I grew up, the Bama game was the biggest rivalry game. Florida is number two

Reactions: 1 person
Alabama by far is our biggest rival!!!! I have been a Tennessee fan for over 50 years and moved from Tennessee to Georgia 11 years ago, I never really had much against the Georgia fans because all they know how to do is bark like a Dawg. Now I am living in Alabama near Auburn. When I am wearing my Tennessee hat or shirts, the Alabama fans come up to me and tell me how much they hate Fulmer because they couldn't beat him and he turned them in. Major's couldn't beat Alabama but Fulmer did on a regular basis, so all of you Fulmer haters out there should congratulate him for a job well done. I just love watching the Alabama fans squirm when Fulmer's name is brought up.

Reactions: 2 people
I think right now our biggest rival has to be UF. And I think that's because Florida is the team we are more likely to actually beat than Bama.

Once we return to winning form and really competing with 'Bama to piss them off, we will make that game a much bigger rivalry.

The Bama/Tennessee rivalry flame is carried by the Tennessee fans...in the same way that Memphis thinks that the Vols are a rival. Alabama/Auburn...that's all they ever care about.

Sorry,Volgrl,but you r wrong. Bama fans despise UT And LSU as much as AU. I have Bama folks in my family and have lived in Bama half my life. I know the Bama fan mind. We are very relevant to them and they greatly fear our resurgence. Bama is WITHOUT DOUBT OUR #1 RIVAL AND ALWAYS WILL BE! GO VOLS! KILL BAMA!

I agree with the article. I DESPISE Florida and dread that game WEEKS before the season even starts. Playing Alabama is really no big deal anymore, except for bragging rights and bragging rights don't win National Championships. Beating Florida is close to winning a championship in my mind.

LOL. A lot can change in 10 years.

It amazes me that a ten-year-old thread has now been resurrected twice. Having said that, two men, Robert Reese Neyland and "Bear" Bryant, both considered the Tennessee-Alabama game the annual measuring stick of their respective programs. That is a strong enough endorsement for me. And, yes, I know that the conference has changed immensely with divisional realignment.

Sorry,Volgrl,but you r wrong. Bama fans despise UT And LSU as much as AU. I have Bama folks in my family and have lived in Bama half my life. I know the Bama fan mind. We are very relevant to them and they greatly fear our resurgence. Bama is WITHOUT DOUBT OUR #1 RIVAL AND ALWAYS WILL BE! GO VOLS! KILL BAMA!

Interesting. I don't live in Alabama but half my family does too...and they claim that we are the only ones that care about the rivalry. All they moan about is Auburn. However, I will say that the match-ups always bring the worst out of both fans. I was at the Alabama game....I think it was 96 or 97 where a Bammer stabbed a Vol fan.

It amazes me that a ten-year-old thread has now been resurrected twice. Having said that, two men, Robert Reese Neyland and "Bear" Bryant, both considered the Tennessee-Alabama game the annual measuring stick of their respective programs. That is a strong enough endorsement for me. And, yes, I know that the conference has changed immensely with divisional realignment.

I wonder what neyland thought of espn in his day.

Was espn pro or anti Tennessee?

For the most part, 99Gator, you refrain from the kind of sniping of which so many of your reptilian comrades are guilty, and I respect such an approach, but that remark is just plain stupid.

Even though we wound up on the losing end, I think most CFB fans would say it was one of the most exciting conference championship games ever. I've traveled the country and, when people find out I'm from GA, they talk about what a great game that was. I was in Puerto Rico two weeks after the game and met 3 different people who said similar. Could have gone either way. Wish we'd had a chance at ND. Maybe next year.:clap:

Well, that was a post from 2011 by my alias... I watched Alabama vs. UGA. Too bad there weren't 30 more seconds left in that one.

For the most part, 99Gator, you refrain from the kind of sniping of which so many of your reptilian comrades are guilty, and I respect such an approach, but that remark is just plain stupid.

my dig there (and you did allude to it) is that bear bryant has been dead for 30+ years and neyland has been dead 50+ years.

things have changed since then just a tad.

my dig there (and you did allude to it) is that bear bryant has been dead for 30+ years and neyland has been dead 50+ years.

Fulmer kept the rivalry alive pretty well. He needed security just to enter the state of Alabama. That isn't so long ago no matter what this Saban era makes it seem like.

Fulmer kept the rivalry alive pretty well. He needed security just to enter the state of Alabama. That isn't so long ago no matter what this Saban era makes it seem like.

no doubt.

didnt say it wasnt the biggest rival.

just what neyland bear thought isnt relevant anymore

I wonder what neyland thought of espn in his day.

Was espn pro or anti Tennessee?

They were to afraid of Neyland to be openly anti Tn.but they were laying in wait for the right time to spring their hate on us.TIFWIW IMO :)

It's called ---T---radition--and it's understandable why a Gator doesn't get it....

And before you start, we have been on the losing end of our series with the Gators for a long time--but times are a changin'--and we are STILL the winningest program in the NCAA since the 1920's....FOUNDATIONS MATTER....

And, to answer the original question--YES--Alabama is still our biggest and most intense rivalry! Fla a close 2nd...

I hate both bama and uf, and while a lot of people say bama is our biggest rivalry, which might be common belief for most, I hate florida on a completely different level than any other team

It's called ---T---radition--and it's understandable why a Gator doesn't get it....

And before you start, we have been on the losing end of our series with the Gators for a long time--but times are a changin'--and we are STILL the winningest program in the NCAA since the 1920's....FOUNDATIONS MATTER....

And, to answer the original question--YES--Alabama is still our biggest and most intense rivalry! Fla a close 2nd...

UT was until 2008....since then Oklahoma, Texas, and Bama overtook UT.

UT is still 4th, not too shabby!

Alabama is our biggest rival.

The rehashed first post in this thread speaks volumes. The rivalry has endured multiple embarrassing losing streaks by both teams over the past century.

Florida might seem like an equally big rival, but they've only been relevant since the mid-80's, when Charley Pell cheated them to success.

It depends on where you live....

Id say most Vol fans anywhere would say Bama...

However, Bama fans In Alabama would say Auburn, Bama fans in Tennessee would say Tennessee.

That's not always the case. There are lots of Bama fans in Alabama that think the UT rivalry is bigger. Location has nothing to do with it.

VN Store

Back