Is Finebaum a UT fan, a UT hater or something else?

He’s no different than anyone else that covers CFB for ESPN. They’re biased towards the top teams and they don’t try to hide it

Finebaum's just doing his job, and he's good at it or he wouldn't be there. If you ever hear him talking about something, and it's not what Disney wants him to be talking about, I don't think it'll take much time before there's someone else in that chair.

There's not a heck of a lot of off-the-cuff talking going on in mass media. What there is, is a news budget: what ESPN and the SEC Network spend their time talking about, and not talking about, is totally by design. It's essentially The Mouse telling you what you should and shouldn't be paying attention to. They've got this much airtime, or space on the home page, and this is what they're going to spend it on. So you get a lot of 'Bama because they've been right at the top of the mix for just a stupid amount of time now, or absolutely any time someone's foot's a bit heavy on the gas pedal in Athens, or Coach Prime even though Colorado went right on ahead to go 1-8 in conference, surprising pretty much no one.

Reactions: Sin City Vol
finebaum-twerk.0.gif

That is right, he was Vandy. It was his dad that played for UT. Good call out. He was just a UT homer.
No it was his grandfather. Clay made money off UT and then decided to troll the fanbase like a Wish version of Finebaum. He was not a homer

Just put a elephant trunk on his nose and a big red A on that bald head. He already has the ears for it. Well you get the idea. Biggest bama tool in modern history. Can't go ten minutes on his show without say litte nikki the bear or bama.

Right guy, right place, right time.

IMO, what really shot him to national prominence was the whole Harvey Updyke thing. He was well-known in the southeast as a radio guy before that, but the heatedness of the Alabama/Auburn rivalry at the time and that phone call in particular is what got him noticed by a wider audience, then ESPN came calling when they started SECN. He did well before then, no doubt, but that was his big payday.3

That's also why it seems like he doesn't necessarily have deep feelings for his alma mater, because he probably doesn't. For whatever reason, he went to Birmingham in 1980 after he graduated from UT. Stayed there for over 30 years, talking mostly about Alabama and Auburn, until he came to SECN.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
He is the host of a local podunk town call in sports show featuring a cast of ignorant, annoying, redneck repeat callers, the fact that his show is national notwithstanding. I've heard the same show in every small town I've lived in across the south for the last 30 years. I can't even stand to listen to him anymore, because I know that whatever is going on on his show in the moment is going to be followed by some braying jackass with a stupid nickname that can't even spell "college" much less ever went to one.

VN Store

Back