Is it just me or is Squirrel struggling?

I don't have a problem with catching it and falling down. He isn't that big of a guy and he should be preserving his body. I would be more concerned with him catching the ball and getting lit up and fumbling. As long as he's falling that's not a problem. However I do have a problem with the fact that he is the fastest guy on the field and almost every game we play and he's not able to get separation. We've played two nobodies, a half-assed somebody, and what will likely finish the season as a top 10 defense. I can understand having a tough game against a top 10 defense defense. But he should have been blowing up everybody else we've played. He's head and shoulders faster than anybody in the secondary for three of the four teams we played and still can't get separation?

I don't have a problem with catching it and falling down. He isn't that big of a guy and he should be preserving his body. I would be more concerned with him catching the ball and getting lit up and fumbling. As long as he's falling that's not a problem. However I do have a problem with the fact that he is the fastest guy on the field and almost every game we play and he's not able to get separation. We've played two nobodies, a half-assed somebody, and what will likely finish the season as a top 10 defense. I can understand having a tough game against a top 10 defense defense. But he should have been blowing up everybody else we've played. He's head and shoulders faster than anybody in the secondary for three of the four teams we played and still can't get separation?
With his speed he is capable of taking these catches to the house instead of falling down.

They finding it hard to attack the team so they’re resorting to individual players now They running out of options so their studying their manuals in the section “grasping for straws”hoping to come up with a plan.
We’re getting hard to troll and they worried!
I don't think any coach will say we are playing perfectly at this point. Can we not discuss things that need to get better?

We definitely need to clean up some things for the rest of our SEC schedule. We won't always be playing teams like NCST or OU that can't capitalize on our mistakes.

Should we begin to phase out Squirrel. He cannot catch a pass without falling to the ground, and that punt return Saturday, where he was running 15 yards behind him to diving catch that punt, gave me heartburn I still can’t get rid of. I really like Squirrel, but if he fumbled that ball there and they scored, the game may have played out different. I just think he’s a liability at this point. Everyone flame away, it’s just how I see it right now.
You know you got what you asked for here…..

OP is right to notice a drop-off from Squirrel's usual excellence. Truth is, in two games he's had two bad drops of very catchable passes. That's surprising from Squirrel, and certainly not a pattern that the staff would long accept from a starter.

We know everybody in the receivers' room has reviewed it, discussed it, and taken note. If there's an injury, they know. If there's a vision issue, they're on it. If it's showing up in practice, everyone knows it.

The ball gets spread around in our offense, and there's depth at receiver. Everyone knows they may only get 2-3 balls thrown their way in a game right now. So we can feel confident that every receiver is focused.

I'll bet the question gets asked, sometime during this bye week.

I don't think any coach will say we are playing perfectly at this point. Can we not discuss things that need to get better?

We definitely need to clean up some things for the rest of our SEC schedule. We won't always be playing teams like NCST or OU that can't capitalize on our mistakes.
Sure we can when there’s obvious mistakes!

OP is right to notice a drop-off from Squirrel's usual excellence. Truth is, in two games he's had two bad drops of very catchable passes. That's surprising from Squirrel, and certainly not a pattern that the staff would long accept from a starter.

We know everybody in the receivers' room has reviewed it, discussed it, and taken note. If there's an injury, they know. If there's a vision issue, they're on it. If it's showing up in practice, everyone knows it.

The ball gets spread around in our offense, and there's depth at receiver. Everyone knows they may only get 2-3 balls thrown their way in a game right now. So we can feel confident that every receiver is focused.

I'll bet the question gets asked, sometime during this bye week.
There’s also play recognition which squirrel is one of the best. Running wrong routes will get your ass on the bench a lot quicker than dropping and occasional ball which squirrel rarely does.

Should we begin to phase out Squirrel. He cannot catch a pass without falling to the ground, and that punt return Saturday, where he was running 15 yards behind him to diving catch that punt, gave me heartburn I still can’t get rid of. I really like Squirrel, but if he fumbled that ball there and they scored, the game may have played out different. I just think he’s a liability at this point. Everyone flame away, it’s just how I see it right now.
Just got the yips, plus the other receivers are just fine. Bru, Thornton, Brazzel, Matthews, Nimrod, Ethan Davis. We are fine with pass catchers.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
The ill-advised punt catch was a bad decision. The only thing that could have really hurt us in that situation was a turnover.

He's good back there but seemed to misjudge a couple of kicks. Need to clean that up
I agree with this, He misjudged a few kicks. Im sure Coach E will have him clean that up before Arkansas.

Lots of options. Inexperienced QB. Tilt toward run game. UT is running 63.5% of the time and only throws 28 times per game. Just not enough balls to go around in these first 4 games. When the OL is healthier and trust in Nico grows, he'll get some shots.

"We". Heupel doesn't give a F what you think.

The ill-advised punt catch was a bad decision. The only thing that could have really hurt us in that situation was a turnover.

He's good back there but seemed to misjudge a couple of kicks. Need to clean that up
It was a nice darn punt but the bad decision would've been to let the ball hit at the eleven yard line. jmo

Got a mirror?

He wasn't wearing his mudders

I would say that he is probably our third or fourth best wide receiver option at this point. The slant he dropped in the fourth quarter was a catchable ball but a difficult catch and the punt he fielded was a great catch but an unnecessarily difficult one no doubt. Last year Milton, had few solid options so he got more touches but not this year

I don't think we'll phase him out but CLEARLY he's had times when he's struggled a bit. His size, without question, is an issue for him as well. I'm glad he's where he is and should remain as long as he can cleanly field punts. A few times he's had issues with the down marker location and does avoid contact frequently (Now i don't blame him for that and coaches prob don't either). If i said he didn't make me a bit nervous from time to time I'd be lying ....but not ready to bench him either.

VN Store

Back