Is it just me or is Squirrel struggling?

Should we begin to phase out Squirrel. He cannot catch a pass without falling to the ground, and that punt return Saturday, where he was running 15 yards behind him to diving catch that punt, gave me heartburn I still can’t get rid of. I really like Squirrel, but if he fumbled that ball there and they scored, the game may have played out different. I just think he’s a liability at this point. Everyone flame away, it’s just how I see it right now.
Yeah, that punt catch was a terrible decision.

He downs a 58 yard punt at the 11 but you're say he should've let it hit and roll, really? Here's an IF for you, IF he does let it go and IF doesn't roll into the EZ how many are questioning that decision? Rhetorical question, doesn't need answering.
If I'm understanding the correct punt, it was 10 seconds before halftime. You absolutely let that ball go instead of catching it running towards your endzone and risk a botched fair catch. In your hypothetical situation, if the ball is downed on the 1 yardline and we can't kneel the ball to get to halftime, we still only have to throw the ball out of bounds one time to get to halftime. Yes, Squirrel made a great catch and no harm done, but the risks FAR outweighed the rewards in that situation.

With that said, no, we should not phase out Squirrel. He is a valuable weapon and a reliable target for us. He might be in a minor slump, but he'll be fine.

Reactions: JohnnyD123
Should we begin to phase out Squirrel. He cannot catch a pass without falling to the ground, and that punt return Saturday, where he was running 15 yards behind him to diving catch that punt, gave me heartburn I still can’t get rid of. I really like Squirrel, but if he fumbled that ball there and they scored, the game may have played out different. I just think he’s a liability at this point. Everyone flame away, it’s just how I see it right now.
Stay in your lane. All is well.

I don't think any coach will say we are playing perfectly at this point. Can we not discuss things that need to get better?

We definitely need to clean up some things for the rest of our SEC schedule. We won't always be playing teams like NCST or OU that can't capitalize on our mistakes.
How ‘bout we clean up some stupid dead play fouls?

He downs a 58 yard punt at the 11 but you're say he should've let it hit and roll, really? Here's an IF for you, IF he does let it go and IF doesn't roll into the EZ how many are questioning that decision? Rhetorical question, doesn't need answering.
He dove backwards to catch a punt at the 10. Please tell me what game you’ve ever watched where that wasn’t the right thing to do. If he doesn’t catch it then ou picks that ball up and scores. If he lets it go and it doesn’t go in the endzone, what’s 5 more yards. The risk reward was def not there and everyone knows it. Stop trying to act like it was. I like squirrel alot I really do. Clearly some people in this thread see what I see.

He dove backwards to catch a punt at the 10. Please tell me what game you’ve ever watched where that wasn’t the right thing to do. If he doesn’t catch it then ou picks that ball up and scores. If he lets it go and it doesn’t go in the endzone, what’s 5 more yards. The risk reward was def not there and everyone knows it. Stop trying to act like it was. I like squirrel alot I really do. Clearly some people in this thread see what I see.
"He dove backwards to catch a punt at the 10. Please tell me what game you’ve ever watched where that wasn’t the right thing to do. "
"Where that wasn't the right thing to do" 🤔 are you agreeing or disagreeing or do you even know?

we've been run heavy so far, averaging 12 more rushing APG than last year while the passing APG for Nico is 7 less than was for Joe. I think we get more balanced in the next two games but if the running game is working then stay with it.
As long as the running game is working, expect 60-40 runs. Then Heuple will hit em with a shot for a TD when they roll up to stop it. Heuple is pretty dang smart. Take what they give you. Lull em to sleep, then BANG! LOLove it.

I’d think of it like we’re 1 1/2 games into the story of the season because 2 1/2 parts so far became scrimmages. Yes there’s been hiccups from Squirrel but the data set is still so small.

VN Store

Back