Is Tennessee a "sleeping giant?"

QB play is the key to the season. For what it's worth I think you see 2 QB taking snaps.

Deff a fan of new coaching staff!!!
Go vols!

Since 2001 what has UT really accomplished? You can focus on the word spectacular and dance around the issue all you want but it doesn't change the fact that UT hasn't done squat in over a decade.

But to answer your question I would say '85, '89, '90, '91, '93, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99 would qualify. Yes, those teams had some losses, but there wasn't 1 game where they were seriously outmatched.

Did you forget Nebraska giving us a azz kicking that i will never forget.:bottom:

Did you forget Nebraska giving us a azz kicking that i will never forget.:bottom:

Going into that game, I didn't realize how serious Manning's injury was and I thought our D was fast enough to hang with Nebraksa...OOPS!

Going into that game, I didn't realize how serious Manning's injury was and I thought our D was fast enough to hang with Nebraksa...OOPS!

That was the first time I had ever seen Tennessee literally get physically dominated up and down the field. It was at times painful to watch because no matter how you try to spin it, that was nothing more than a good old fashioned country ass whoopin'!

QB play is the key to the season.

IMHO, too much is being made of this.

Historically, the best TN teams started with top tier def and of line play followed by great linebackers and running backs. Passing the ball is needed, but hasn't been the cornerstone of the past TN teams.

If the OL lives up to its billing and the DL can come close to fulfilling its potential then TN has a good chance to jump back into the upper tier of the SEC this season. This assumes there is average level of competence from the skill positions.

Reactions: 2 people

Historically, the best TN teams started with top tier def and of line play followed by great linebackers and running backs. Passing the ball is needed, but hasn't been the cornerstone of the past TN teams.

If the OL lives up to its billing and the DL can come close to fulfilling its potential then TN has a good chance to jump back into the upper tier of the SEC this season. This assumes there is average level of competence from the skill positions.

this

I agree that the QB doesn't have to throw up gaudy stats in the passing department. However that doesn't change the fact that it's still the most important position on the team. The QB still has to be the leader of the offense. The QB needs to have total command of that huddle and at the very least be a damn good game manager. That will NEVER change. Fulmer used to say that the 2 most important positions on a football team is quarterback and defensive tackle. If you are stout at both of those positions you will win a lot of football games.

We were fast enough then, if I remember correctly, it was 10-10 or 10-7 halftime. It was wasn't speed that beat us, it was home grown countryboys on Nebraska's offensive line that just wore us down!

Yes, we have all the resources needed to be a top 10 program year in and year out. Just need the right coach.
I agree on some level. We have more than enough talent to be a 9-10 win team. Just need the coaching.

Now, when Kiffin took over, the roster did have a lot of holes, but Dooley did recruit well enough to fill most of them. We just lacked the coaching

Reactions: 1 person
don't know if this has been posted anywhere on here, but here is an interesting new study. according to this guy CBJ is one of the most efficient coaches in the nation. he only did 2 years worth of data study. i wonder what a more in-depth study would show.

Yards per Point
OVERALL EFFICIENCY
1. Nick Saban 10.01
2. Les Miles 9.33
3. Brian Kelly 3.83
4. Butch Jones 3.30
5. Bill Snyder 3.12
6. David Shaw 3.04
7. Chip Kelly 2.68
8. Bret Bielema 2.35
9. Will Muschamp 2.23
10. Chris Petersen 2.20

Metric Shows Jones Among Coaching Elite - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Tennessee Football is definitely a sleeping giant. How long will it take to wake up? I think it will take another year or two, but Tennessee is too good to stay down. Butch Jones has alot of quality players coming and if the system gels, even this 2013 team could surprise a team or two. Only two games I see us for losing are Alabama and Oregon. Tennessee could be 3-5(0-4) heading into November, but attaining a 3-1 or 4-0 mark in that final month is pretty attainable. With going to a bowl comes those extra practices and extra momentum, and add that to a solid finish to this already outstanding 2014 class, and The University of Tennessee Volunteers could be a major player for the SEC Eastern Division title by 2015. Things are headed in the right direction and UT has the best training facility in the nation, and one of the best stadiums in country. My personal predictions are

2013: 6-6(3-5)/7-5(4-4) With a good matchup in a bowl
2014: 8-4(5-3) Two games are missing from OOC, but will probably be cupcakes, and we'll probably lose to Oklahoma, I think we beat Florida at home in '14, play in an evenly matched bowl and finish in top 25
2015: 9-3(5-3/6-2)or 10-2(6-2) Tennessee could beat Oklahoma in '15, rest of OOC is easy, and I think Tennessee loses to Alabama (safe bet at least) and to one east opponent. Gets a new years bowl and finishes in top 25 again. If these scenarios can play out, Tennessee will be on that consistent path to getting back to SEC Championship game and into 4 team playoff. All are just my opinion on how teams will look moving forward. Go VOLS!!

According to our recruiting classes, except for the remnants of tropical depression kiffen, we should have the talent to be a top 15-20 team.

CBJ should move us above average, the schedule should move us below average so they will cancel each other out.

The game is won and lost at the LOS. Our lines on both sides of the ball should be in the top 3-4 in the SEC. This will mask the fact our RBs, WRs, and QBs on offense and DBs on defense are not in the top 3-4 of the SEC. Therefore, THIS is our year to return to prominence! ~8 wins this year with a couple of upsets included, but I also think we get a loss that leaves us scratching our heads......

A winning season and attitude will continue the momentum in recruiting and help us for years to come. Although we could even take a step back the following season as we will lose the line experience. If our program was on a trend line, I think it would start a gradual upward trend with a possible hiccup next season.

Our QBs and WR will look much better after practicing during Summer. There will be less route running mistakes and the they will get timing more sync'd up.

VN Store

Back