Is Trumpism Dead?

It started in 2009, was hijacked around 2011-12 and dead by 2015. No one is calling for smaller govt, lower spending and increased individual freedoms anymore. It was a response to Obama. They even demolished things like the liberty caucus and kicked out the only real members. Any reference to it by Trump is a sham
It isn't a one-to-one perfect comparison, but Trump ran on many of the central tenets of the TP. He bastardized it while he was in office, but he undoubtedly pushed right-wing populism mainstream in GOP circles.

Reactions: NCFisher
Teaparty is essentially conservative (physically and culturally) populism with diverse leadership.
Trumpism is nationalist populism with a single leader (because his ego will not allow for any others).
He definitely morphed it into a movement centered on himself.

Reactions: volfanhill
It isn't a one-to-one perfect comparison, but Trump ran on many of the central tenets of the TP. He bastardized it while he was in office, but he undoubtedly pushed right-wing populism mainstream in GOP circles.
You don't seem to truly understand what it was about. Maybe Trump's was like something Palin said when she hitched a wagon but it was in no way similar to those who were serious about it

I maintain he just kept capitalizing on class and racial resentment. At its core, every ideal he espoused was a gingoistic, white Christian ideal of who wins and who loses.

Name one time he has stood up to Trump? The next time he does it will be the first time.
Well maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration. Personally I think DeSantis fired the first shot by not cozying up to Trump during this year’s election and not giving Trump any credit. If DeSantis continues though, a major collision is inevitable. All I know is that he’s the first reasonable Republican option I’ve seen in a while and Trump doesn’t like him. Good enough for me. I firmly believe that DeSantis was sucking up to Trump because he needed him in 2018. Now not so much. We’ll see if that continues.

Name one time he has stood up to Trump? The next time he does it will be the first time.

Who cares if he “stands up to Trump”? I don’t care if he never mentions him by name and ignores him completely. I’m intrigued by DeSantis because of the possibility of having an adult in the room for the first time in a long time. I swore I would never vote for another Republican after W, but if RD runs on the issues and treats Trump like an exhausting child and just ignores him, I may vote for him.

Reactions: Delmar
Lol, comedy must have touched a nerve. I guess the gender bending is a sensitive subject
Bro, you have had to change your username, bc of your inability to be civil. After being warned many times. You really should be embarrassed to be here. It's the saddest thing I have ever seen on here. You are probably unstable if you keep getting kicked off sites like this.

Wont make any difference one way or another if Republicans dont fix systemic voting issues in swing states. Doesnt matter who runs - it matters who counts.

Separately, Trumpism is alive and very well. Love for Trump and his antics, less so. There is a MASSIVE well of desire for populist policy. The Dems have been taken over by woke progressive extremism and dont really pay attention to kitchen table issues anymore. If you point this out, they simply cancel you.

Ma and Pa Kettle, your white former union worker, the ever shrinking middle class and indeed any working immigrant are wondering who will actually speak to their concerns on the economy and crime, while not taking the culture off a cliff. Its a good question. GOP will have to prove that they are that party but there are a LOT in the leadership that are still country club Republicans wedded to the old corporate tit. They havent quite realized that the left has all but taken over the large corporations.

Now the parties have largely reversed. The GOP represents the working man and Dems are the corporate fat cats. Crazy world.
Fantastic post.

Reactions: Gandalf
Nope, we are just sitting back ready to watch the shitshow of a primary about to start. Most of your party cares by the way, since they want him to run.

Good for them. I personally don’t care what he says or does. The primaries for both parties essentially will be douche and turd. I mean at this point picking Democrat or Republican is akin to picking between equally stinking piles of dung. The only difference is one is red and the other is blue.

Trump was responsible for those loses. Look at Georgia and how Kemp curb stomped Abrams without any Trump support but Trumps token black Walker couldn't squeek by "I also tried to kill my wife" Warnock.

Wont make any difference one way or another if Republicans dont fix systemic voting issues in swing states. Doesnt matter who runs - it matters who counts.

Separately, Trumpism is alive and very well. Love for Trump and his antics, less so. There is a MASSIVE well of desire for populist policy. The Dems have been taken over by woke progressive extremism and dont really pay attention to kitchen table issues anymore. If you point this out, they simply cancel you.

Ma and Pa Kettle, your white former union worker, the ever shrinking middle class and indeed any working immigrant are wondering who will actually speak to their concerns on the economy and crime, while not taking the culture off a cliff. Its a good question. GOP will have to prove that they are that party but there are a LOT in the leadership that are still country club Republicans wedded to the old corporate tit. They havent quite realized that the left has all but taken over the large corporations.

Now the parties have largely reversed. The GOP represents the working man and Dems are the corporate fat cats. Crazy world.

Tell me again about the Republicans' plans to help with "kitchen table issues."
Best I recall, they didn't even have a platform for the 2020 election, because Trump was the platform.
Best I can tell, their policy revolves around scaring white folk out of their mind about the "woke left."

Not knowing what trumpism is exactly here are some characteristics of his term I am evaluating as dead or not:

Overspending? Not dead.
Tinkering with tax code? Not dead.
Undelivered promises? Not dead.
Lies? Not dead.
Swamp draining (attempted)? Dead.
Border as political wedge issue? Not dead.
China as enemy? Not dead.
Attacking foreign countries? Not dead.
Keeping our troops at home (for the most part)? Dead.
UnPresidential mean tweets? Dead.
Ego driven politicians? Not dead.
Deference to states (covid)? Dead.
Attacking the members of the other party? Not dead.
Bombastic rhetoric? Not dead.

He is not directly engaging him. He is handling the child just right. He is still doing exactly what he wants to do while trump is hurling insults. DeSantis is not taking the bait. That is how you beat trump.

And I am not a DeSantis fan, but would certainly vote for him over Trump or Biden.

VN Store

Back