Israel vs Palestinians

More? Or the law? I never said more. Or is this a “thousands of cops” scenario?
Explain to me the difference in the lives of protestors between what actually happened in the ‘60s and what would happen if the cops “enforced the law” to your ideal degree

Explain to me the difference in the lives of protestors between what actually happened in the ‘60s and what would happen if the cops “enforced the law” to your ideal degree
Are you under the belief that the law wasn't enforced then always?

Lol. I never said harder. I said enforce the law. You trying to the equate this to the civil rights movement makes you look ignorant
And he misses over arching points.

Was the phrase "practice civil disobedience" coined by the civil rights movement? I'm not aware of it being used before then.

The civil rights movement believed in the law. Rosa Parks probably could have gotten her husband to drive her in his car that day if she really needed to be somewhere.
It's no coincidence they used the sweetest lady in Birmingham. Optics weren't ignored and opportunities to create publicity were utilized.
Many times the law had to be enforce to practice actually civil disobedience. Getting arrested in enforcement of the law was a prerequisite to challenging the law and appealing it through the court system.
Lol. I never said harder. I said enforce the law. You trying to the equate this to the civil rights movement makes you look ignorant
Don't you remember Mrs Rosa shrieking into megaphone, forming barricades, and requiring multiple cops to wrestle her to the ground while being arrested?

This is exactly like the civil rights movement.

Don't you remember Mrs Rosa shrieking into megaphone, forming barricades, and requiring multiple cops to wrestle her to the ground while being arrested?

This is exactly like the civil rights movement.
If you don’t think these things happened during the Civil Rights Movement (or know what a comparison is, but that’s many people here), then you should not be the one writing paragraphs about it

If you don’t think these things happened during the Civil Rights Movement, you should not be the one writing paragraphs about it
Oh they happened at times, but there is no direct equivalency between then and now.

How about those things then happening now. Have any of the current protesters practiced Civil disobedience in that sense. Have they intentionally broken laws in a peaceful manner while allowing themselves to peacefully be arrested in order to challenge the existing laws?
I'm not aware if so.

I didn't say what didn't happen. I said you miss over arching points.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Oh they happened at times, but there is no direct equivalency between then and now.

How about those things then happening now. Have any of the current protesters practiced Civil disobedience in that sense. Have they intentionally broken laws in a peaceful manner while allowing themselves to peacefully be arrested in order to challenge the existing laws?
I'm not aware if so.

I didn't say what didn't happen. I said you miss over arching points.
Yes. That’s what the protests basically entirely are. NYPD said the same thing. It’s in order to challenge Columbia’s investment into entities supporting the current slaughter, but surely we aren’t dishonest enough to pretend that “in order to challenge the existing laws” defines the category

Reactions: EasternVol
Yes. That’s what the protests basically entirely are. NYPD said the same thing. It’s in order to challenge Columbia’s investment into entities supporting the current slaughter, but surely we aren’t dishonest enough to pretend that “in order to challenge the existing laws” defines the category
The demands from Columbia are to cut ties with Jewish universities in Israel among other things. Many of those students side with the protests...... Why would they demand this? Consider for a moment that the more militant wing of the protesters aligned with Hamas and IJ are running the show...... I don't know that that's what's happening, I've got no proof but why this specific demand? What purpose/whose purpose does it serve?

Reactions: Orangeslice13
I may be an opportunist, but think about the stakes in November. We have one candidate providing clarity and leadership related to serious issues while the other cowers and hides to attempt to not bleed support. If that isn't enough, they attempted to deep cover Gaza immigrants until documents were seen so now they are trying to be public.
Trump's not doing the clarity and leadership thing. His word salads and odd behavior are getting close to Biden's.

I thought the topic at hand was snazzy chants? And that they didn’t mean nuthin.

I’ve seen videos today of pro-Pali rioters detaining people against their will.
We’ve heard reports from Columbia janitors saying they were held against their will.
Reports of Jewish students being beaten.

But yea - the “counter-protesters” violently threw fireworks into the pro-Pal encampment lol
Did you notice the physical battery (of course you did) or are you just not mentioning it because it makes your team look bad?

Reactions: NashVol11
I'm not certain about the bold. How dishonest are you? Which laws were intentionally or knowingly broken during the Civil Rights Movement that weren't being challenged?
I'm saying the civil rights movement had a fundamental respect for the law, that the current protesters dont.
I'm pointing out the civil rights movement had actionable plans to effect lasting change and enforcement. Which it was largely successful in doing so.
Which private institutions had their rights violated and their constituents rights violated by a dictatorial group expecting legal impunity for their transgressions?
And if the institution actually acquiesced to the absurd groups foreign investment demands, what controls insure the measures remain in place?
Beware, Lest the Day Of The Hanky Come Again?
Sure as hell not how the civil rights movement did things.

There is no direct equivalency between the current protests and those of the civil rights movement.

Anyone that would claim the moral high ground to break the law and assume autocratic control of a private institutions finances would probably have been cheering the fire hose.

Last edited:
The demands from Columbia are to cut ties with Jewish universities in Israel among other things. Many of those students side with the protests...... Why would they demand this? Consider for a moment that the more militant wing of the protesters aligned with Hamas and IJ are running the show...... I don't know that that's what's happening, I've got no proof but why this specific demand? What purpose/whose purpose does it serve?
Serves students who don't want their tuition money used to kill Palestinians, particularly serves Palestinian students to not have their tuition money used to kill their own relatives, serves Palestinian citizens who don't want to die, serves humanity in general to not fund war crimes. Not sure why that's nefarious

I'm not certain about the bold. How dishonest are you? Which laws were intentionally or knowingly broken during the Civil Rights Movement that weren't being challenged?
I'm saying the civil rights movement had a fundamental respect for the law, that the current protesters dont.
I'm pointing out the civil rights movement had actionable plans to effect lasting change and enforcement. Which it was largely successful in doing so.
Which private institutions had their rights violated and their constituents rights violated by a dictatorial group expecting legal impunity for their transgressions?
And if the institution actually acquiesced to the absurd groups foreign investment demands, what controls insure the measures remain in place?
Beware, Lest the Day Of The Hanky Come Again?
Sure as hell not how the civil rights movement did things.

There is no direct equivalency between the current protests and those of the civil rights movement.

Anyone that would claim the moral high ground to break the law and assume autocratic control of a private institutions finances would probably have been cheering the fire hose.
There were sit-ins and other civil rights protests on private property in the 60's. There's not a huge difference in methods between then and now. When the establishment and their supporters pushed back with violence then all hell broke loose. Add to that the Vietnam War and women's rights protests and the US was going through interesting times. Do you remember the summer of 68?
Have you looked at the protests at Columbia and other universities and their divestment from Apartheid South Africa?
Regarding the comparison with the protests there in the 60's:

Reactions: MemphisVol77
There were sit-ins and other civil rights protests on private property in the 60's. There's not a huge difference in methods between then and now. When the establishment and their supporters pushed back with violence then all hell broke loose. Add to that the Vietnam War and women's rights protests and the US was going through interesting times. Do you remember the summer of 68?
Have you looked at the protests at Columbia and other universities and their divestment from Apartheid South Africa?
Regarding the comparison with the protests there in the 60's:
68 was a little before my time, but you made me put my thinking cap on. I'm guilty of viewing the civil rights movement through a somewhat narrow lense. I had viewed some of the concurrent protests as just antiwar or social unrest. School focused primarily on the civil rights for racial equality. Field trips to the civil rights museums and the leaders actions were venerated. In a 3rd generation military household, antiwar protests and longhair may have been technically legal for civilians, but insubordination for a military brat.

Anyway. Time to admit I was wrong. DaMniT! @NashVol11

As I stated earlier in this thread. My last Rottweiler and German Shepherd were smarter than today's protesters.

I was wrong and there is a direct equivalency. A few of the protesters from the civil rights movement were dumber than my dogs too.

VN Store

Back