It Seems like a theme is emerging from these bowls.

Ohio State didn’t have a QB. Fl. State has an inexperienced QB. Lots of teams without players. To take anything from these bowls is a stretch.
Ohio State has had a top 3 recruiting class for the past 3 or 4 years. They scored 3 lousy points.

Last edited:
In Ohio St's defense, they were playing their 3rd string QB and MH Jr didn't play. If Ohio St had their starters not opting out or transfer, Ohio St beats the Brakes off Mizzou
OSU has been in the Top 5 in recruiting for majority of the time for the kids playing last night. 2019 they were #19. Ohio State should have beat the brakes off of Missouri regardless.

Last edited:
UGA is making the CFP selection committee look like geniuses. FSU may want to re-evaluate their gripes about being out. Looks like they shouldn’t even be playing in this game.

That being said, a lot of football lef….. whoops. Nevermind.
Not sure about that. Georgia made a pretty strong case that they should have been in. Honestly, the committee was in a no-win situation. It just sucks that Georgia laid their massive egg against the turds.

Not sure about that. Georgia made a pretty strong case that they should have been in. Honestly, the committee was in a no-win situation. It just sucks that Georgia laid their massive egg against the turds.
Ga had 1 big game to win in ‘23 ( they could have lost any other game except Mizzou) but they choked. OSU lost their big game, Oregon lost their big game. They didn’t get in either.

Wait a minute. Now games don’t matter right? So saying the upper SEC teams are all that is meaningless because UGA, OM and Missouri played teams that didn’t care.

Remember the players and coaches don’t care about bowl games. Right??

UGA is making the CFP selection committee look like geniuses. FSU may want to re-evaluate their gripes about being out. Looks like they shouldn’t even be playing in this game.

lol. This game showed nothing. FSU deserved to be in the playoffs for what they did during the regular season.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
As awesome as I think the 12 team playoff will be for fans, college football is certainly at a crossroads and there isn't a simple fix.

My thought was to go back to the old transfer rule where a player must sit for a year, but the NCAA is going in the opposite direction and allowing two time transfers.

I've heard people mentioning altering the portal window until after bowl season, but that doesn't work because of the semester calendar that esswntially every college in America utilizes - you can't have a transfer portal in late January when virtually every college in America has already started their spring semester.

One thing i know MUST happen is getting rid of the early signing period for football, I believe. Anyway, too many competing interests.

lol. This game showed nothing. FSU deserved to be in the playoffs for what they did during the regular season.
No, they didn't. FSU v Michigan would be like giving Michigan a bye to the Championship game. Not at all fair to the other playoff teams. You can feel bad for FSU, but they got exposed and totally justified the committee's decision. There were 8, maybe 9 teams with a chance to win the playoff. FSU was not one of those.

I consider this a "transition" year for our program. If we win, it will be our best win of the season since we've not beaten a ranked team all year.
Don't get too excited, Iowa is a BIG10 team. You see what happens when they play a real SEC team, Ohio State flamed & so did Penn State. We should win this one handily , just stop the turnovers because Iowa can hit hard.

No, they didn't. FSU v Michigan would be like giving Michigan a bye to the Championship game. Not at all fair to the other playoff teams. You can feel bad for FSU, but they got exposed and totally justified the committee's decision. There were 8, maybe 9 teams with a chance to win the playoff. FSU was not one of those.
You are making nothing more than assumptions. You are just assuming Michigan would have blown them out. I bet you would have assumed UGA would have blown out Missouri, Vandy, Georgia Tech, Auburn and South Carolina. Did they? No they didn’t.

There are no guaranteed outcomes. That’s why the games are played. What FSU did in the regular season earned them the right to have a chance in the playoffs. Now, is it likely they would lose to Michigan? Yes. But who knows? Harken back to what, 2018 I think? Ohio State was #3 playing unranked Perdue. Guess what? Perdue stomped a mud hole in them. Anything can happen.

You and others who continue to think that FSU didn’t deserve a spot in the playoffs because of this UGA game are just demonstrably wrong. You are advocating punishing a team for having a great season. If the same thing happened to TN, you would be calling the CFP committee a fraud. Which they are.

Reactions: sami and 007Racer
The Heupel era is going to boom or bust on the arm, feet and mind of Nico Iamaleava.
Cool story. So Nico is gonna play defense? He is gonna block for himself? He is gonna catch his own passes? He is gonna call all his own plays? Man we should just put Nico out there by himself since he is that important.

Remember hierarchical ranking when comparing wins and losses. For example the SEC's 2nd team plays the ACCs 1st team. The 3rd team played the Big 10s 2nd team. The 4th team played Big 10s 3rd. We are probably 6th in SEC, but play 4th in Big 10.

Losses from Auburn (9th in SEC) to Maryland (5th/6th in Big 10)
Kentucky (7th/8th) to Clemson (4th in ACC)
Texas A&M (7th/8th) to Oklahoma St (2nd in Big 12)

So its not surprising when the bottom ranked SEC teams lose becuase they have to play higher ranked teams from other conferences.

Not really. If you’re taking this game to mean the committee looks smart because FSU didn’t get in then wouldn’t they actually look dumb because UGA didn’t?

The upper level SEC teams do seem to be "all that". Missouri whipped Ohio St. and Ole Miss is punking Penn St. The lower level SEC teams are falling short. I would expect to see Georgia, Bama, (stop! I'm kicking myself while writing this} Ole Miss, Missouri, and LSU above the line. Below that line are a lot of teams in transition and Vandy. I am expecting that we join that group above the line. This is a big game.
I consider double digit wins to be “the line.” Gonna be just short this season. Had too many ugly performances, especially on offense. Defense held strong as long as they could, but gave up the second half of the season when the realized Joe & Co. couldn’t convert first downs.

Man I hope so because Vols fans will run him out of Knoxville with the expectations now placed on him being a 5 star and amount of NIL money speculated to be given to him. Poor kid, that's a lot of pressure but I really hope so!
I’ve tempered my expectations for Nico in this game. Most the kids thrown into games the last few days have played like you’d expect a first year player starting his first game to play. Some glimpses of promise but overall shaky. Remember Peyton’s first game? He got benched.

Everyone seems to agree that these bowls don't have much meaning due to players leaving for the NFL/portal, so how do they determine the final rankings ? Some schools use these rankings, and bowl wins to attract top players. And final rankings and bowl wins add to a coach's resume. Do they factor the number of players not playing for a bowl won or loss in determining how far a team drops or rises?
So Auburn’s class of recruits are all leaving?

I love seeing "The Ohio State" get mauled. I also didn't bat an eye at seeing Penn State getting demolished.. The Georgia-Florida State game never should have been played. I realize FSU has lost a lot of players, but they would not have had any chance of beating Georgia this year. The ACC is, by far, the weakest Power Five Conference and it has already shown it this week.
But Penn State had problems with too many moving parts today. There's that...

Man I hope so because Vols fans will run him out of Knoxville with the expectations now placed on him being a 5 star and amount of NIL money speculated to be given to him. Poor kid, that's a lot of pressure but I really hope so!
We need to leave Nico alone. Whatever happens on the 1st is not reflective on his future.

Unless he lights them up. Then he will be forever screwed.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Depends on what you value as a playoff contender. If you think teams like TCU/Florida St should get in based on “reasons”, then you are super pissed about the playoff selections. But if you want to get right into it and say who could beat who, then they got it right for the most part. After tonight, not a lot of people are going to lean on the side of ‘feelings’ on who should get a participation trophy.

Depends on what you value as a playoff contender. If you think teams like TCU/Florida St should get in based on “reasons”, then you are super pissed about the playoff selections. But if you want to get right into it and say who could beat who, then they got it right for the most part. After tonight, not a lot of people are going to lean on the side of ‘feelings’ on who should get a participation trophy.
They got it right with Bama, Texas and Michigan. They are all conference winners. Zero problem with that. What happened against UGA doesn’t matter. An undefeated P5 champ sjould always get into the playoffs. No question. What the committee did has never happened before and likely won’t happen again.

Simply put the committee got the FSU decision wrong. If you disagree how would you feel if we’re TN in the same situation? Would you just be ok with it?

VN Store

Back