It's official. Lanier commits to Tennessee.

"Old School" Barnes has adapted to the transfer/NIL era quite easily 🀣🀣

He can coach here till he says he's done
When he retires, I hope Kim English is seasoned and successful and ready to step in and continue the methods and culture because Barnes taught him. Might even keep the same staff.

When he retires, I hope Kim English is seasoned and successful and ready to step in and continue the methods and culture because Barnes taught him. Might even keep the same staff.
Staff turnover isn't a bad thing, as long as it is through development and achievement. A couple of those guys will be in line for higher paying jobs somewhere else as HCs. Move on and develop newer, younger coaches

Reactions: gainesvol82
Really like scoring stats and efficiency. I like the rebounding for a guard. I like that his upwards trajectory is immense. I don't really like any of the other stats. We need more playmakers but glad to have this guy

Screenshot_20240524-170839_Chrome.jpg

Can guys still transfer after they’ve signed to a team?

My biggest worry has been making all the seniors happy. ZZ, Shack, Igor, Dubar, Lanier, etc. I’m just worried someone may Ledlum out

As far as talent goes, I don’t care who starts. Comfortable with all those guys. May the best man win.

Really like scoring stats and efficiency. I like the rebounding for a guard. I like that his upwards trajectory is immense. I don't really like any of the other stats. We need more playmakers but glad to have this guy

View attachment 643009
Doesn't foul often. 5 rebounds per from the guard position ain't bad and should replace SVs strong rebounding last year.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Watched the G league Elite game Lanier played in. Probably one of the most unselfish players on the floor. Was willing to screen, pass when very few others would, and didn't turn it over or force bad shots. When he is open, the chances are high that he will make a high % of shots IMO. Defensively he has alot to improve upon, but no one better to do that than Barnes.

Watched the G league Elite game Lanier played in. Probably one of the most unselfish players on the floor. Was willing to screen, pass when very few others would, and didn't turn it over or force bad shots. When he is open, the chances are high that he will make a high % of shots IMO. Defensively he has alot to improve upon, but no one better to do that than Barnes.
Gotta say this seems like a perfect fit. Match made in heaven this Barnes/Lanier pairing.

Talent and production will always win out over seniority. If he's not the best player at his position, he will come off the bench.

Starters don't necessarily have to play the most minutes. I tend to agree that Mashack will get the start unless his play takes a dip. He won't be relied on to score with the other guys around him, and his defense and athleticism are huge contributors. He came off the bench and shutdown a lot of good players this last season. It will be nice to see him set that tone from the tip this season. He may get subbed quick on some nights, but him and Barnes have a plan.

Depth Chart:
Starters:
ZZ
Chaz
Mashack
Dubar
Okpara
Subs:
Gainey
Carr
Igor
JP
Phillips
Bishop

LET'S GOOOOOO!!! I like the depth! We got scoring and we got defense! Just a little excited here!

This group will go 9-10 deep, and we can get scoring from so many different places and in so many ways. It will take some time for Barnes to sort this out and develop a rotation, but it seems that there just aren't enough minutes to go around, which is a great problem to have going into the summer.

I don't know if I'm looking more forward to football or basketball season, and we've got a #1 baseball team about to go the college WS hopefully. I can't recall a time where everything was this good all around for UT sports.

I am not sure he’d keep same staff, but either way, looks promising. He should have a nice team next year, too. I would like for it to shake out like that. If not, would be cool if Matt McMahon got it going at LSU and could come home.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I am not sure he’d keep same staff, but either way, looks promising. He should have a nice team next year, too. I would like for it to shake out like that. If not, would be cool if Matt McMahon got it going at LSU and could come home.
If English does become a hot commodity, I wonder if Tennessee would be more appealing or going back to his Alma at Missouri.

Starters don't necessarily have to play the most minutes. I tend to agree that Mashack will get the start unless his play takes a dip. He won't be relied on to score with the other guys around him, and his defense and athleticism are huge contributors. He came off the bench and shutdown a lot of good players this last season. It will be nice to see him set that tone from the tip this season. He may get subbed quick on some nights, but him and Barnes have a plan.
I wouldn’t assume Dubar is a bigger threat than Carr to challenge Mashack at the 3. If Carr develops like they think, he’s gonna be a player.

VN Store

Back