It's official. Lanier commits to Tennessee.

This group will go 9-10 deep, and we can get scoring from so many different places and in so many ways. It will take some time for Barnes to sort this out and develop a rotation, but it seems that there just aren't enough minutes to go around, which is a great problem to have going into the summer.

I don't know if I'm looking more forward to football or basketball season, and we've got a #1 baseball team about to go the college WS hopefully. I can't recall a time where everything was this good all around for UT sports.
Not to mention our softball team! GBO!

Hate to say it, but if he can play decent defense, I suspect Igor starts over Mashack.
I think Mashack as 6th man and Gainey 7th is the best move. with Estrella giving the frontcourt guys a breather. If we could grab a young, developmental post guy with that last spot it would be awesome. this roster is very switchable with a lot of multi-positional types. Mashack, Igor and Dubar can all play 3-4 positions in a pinch. Heck outside of ZZ and Okpara everyone on roster can play at least 2 positions realistically.

I had an interesting conversation with a UK alum/fan I know, one of the rare ones who you can actually have a conversation with, about Lanier. He said sources told him that Pope was 'turned off' by Lanier, and he was described as an 'a-hole' by Kentucky people.

This guy's view is that Pope has assembled a roster full of off-ball spot up shooters and desperately needs an on-ball creator like Lanier. In his words "Pope needed to find a way to make it work" because UK badly needs a player like Lanier.

My read is that Lanier and his mom didn't care for Pope's approach, which was probably arrogant and about how UK was doing Lanier a favor by even considering him, and they possibly made their feelings very clear.

PG: ZZ 30 / Shack 5 / Gainey 5
SG: Lanier 25 / Gainey 10 / Carr 5
SF: Shack 20 / Carr 10 / Dubar 10
PF: Igor 25 / Dubar 15
C: Okpara 25 / JP 15

Min minutes: Cade and Boswell

Minutes:
ZZ - 30
Lanier - 25
Shack - 25
Igor - 25
Dubar - 25
Okpara - 25
Gainey - 15
JP - 15
Carr - 15

Obviously not going to be this. Feel like everyone can get a ton of minutes this upcoming season depending on how practices go and stuff. That’s the main point of this…kind of showing the depth we have.

A ton of flexibility with guys being able to play multiple positions. Should be fun seeing the lineups and where the guys will fit

Last edited:
Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

VN Store

Back