Jalen ButtHurts not happy with QB competition anymore. (would Tennessee be interested?)

I honestly don't think he's the style of QB Saban wants, even though he did recruit him. I think he wants a much more capable passer and doesn't necessarily want to run an offense with read option-type principles (like they did with Kiffin). I think Saban's prototypical QB is an A.J. McCarron type of guy.

Saban and that offensive staff managed Hurts absolutely brilliantly though. He rarely made plays with his arm, but he made plays with his legs and hardly ever made big mistakes.

Also, any Tennessee fan that wouldn't want him on this team because he "isn't good" is just nuts and totally detached from the reality of our current team.
He doesn’t elevate our program and doesn’t fit our offense. Waste of time for both he and the team. Where’s my jacket?

" Jalen Hurts lead his team to 2 championship games "

Did the writer see UA's defense? I'm not taking away from Hurts. He is a really good player but having the nations best defense is more important than having a good qb. IMO

If your looking for a WINNER then....get him. He throws better than Dobbs
Hes a product of playing at 5 star U.

Saban hid him as well as he could until he played a couple teams that lined up with him. He lost to 1 and was on his way to losing to the other when Saban pulled him for the FR.

RB playing QB.

Hurts has a better arm than some QBs on our roster now and athleticism to make up for an OL with a lot of question marks.

If he was on our team now, he’d be the starter easily.
yep. he's the "alot better" version of Josh Dobbs (that's not a jab to Dobbs btw) can make up for a lot of shortcomings of his own, and elsewhere, with his legs.

Hes a product of playing at 5 star U.

Saban hid him as well as he could until he played a couple teams that lined up with him. He lost to 1 and was on his way to losing to the other when Saban pulled him for the FR.

RB playing QB.
this.

If our OL doesn’t get a lot better really fast, then that wouldn’t be a bad thing IMO.
In a sense.

Hes a very average "dont lose the game mananging QB". As long as all the other pieces are very good around him he ll win a lot of games. You force him to QB (which not everyone is able to do) and their chance to lose goes up dramatically.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
I don’t know why you wouldn’t want him here. He can manage games and has the ability to make plays when things break down. Pruitt knows his strengths and weaknesses probably better than anyone.
Think coach is already talking to him in some way?

Bring him here and turn him into a Randall Cobb style player. Wildcat, slot, H back, whatever. Just get him the ball in space and put him behind center occasionally. Be a hell of a threat on the goal line. Keep us from having to kick!

Bring him here and turn him into a Randall Cobb style player. Wildcat, slot, H back, whatever. Just get him the ball in space and put him behind center occasionally. Be a hell of a threat on the goal line. Keep us from having to kick!
if he'd do that, why not do it at Bama? they'd let him.

he won't do it, and he's sure not going to transfer to a program that won't let him play qb there either.

he won't do it, and he's sure not going to transfer to a program that won't let him play qb there either.
His next step is gonna be a curious one to follow from where he goes (if anywhere) to what he actually does when he gets there.

Ive got a feeling his actual QB abilities are gonna be front and center either way.

His next step is gonna be a curious one to follow from where he goes (if anywhere) to what he actually does when he gets there.

Ive got a feeling his actual QB abilities are gonna be front and center either way.
oh, i agree. i think it's great that you can throw up his stats and all his QBR rankings etc.....and say "wow, how good must the next guy in line be at Bama if he's not good enough?", but as you said, he's playing on an NFL feeder team and that can make average look really, really good.

let him play QB at UT, i won't be close to the same, but probably better than what we've had. and that could be the case at a lot of schools.

he just doesn't pass the eye test in the pocket. athletically, he's a freak.

Exactly.
I think hes a very good football player. Just a very average QB.

Reactions: Remy
Interesting that the perception of Adams on VN is that he is a Tennessee hater, yet here he is openly making the case for Hurts to transfer here.
Maybe because it would be a wasted spot in our class? If so, I’d agree with him.

I want to see hurts go to Army or Navy, rush for 3000 yds and pass for 1000 in a season and take them to heights we only have read about in black and white picture books in our elementary libraries. I like Hurts a lot, he isn't a great QB, but he beat our ass in '16. If they had concrete legs Coker in 16 we may have played a game similar to '15.
So he’d transfer INTO a military commitment?

" Jalen Hurts lead his team to 2 championship games "

Did the writer see UA's defense? I'm not taking away from Hurts. He is a really good player but having the nations best defense is more important than having a good qb. IMO

I use this logic to give Peyton a pass on never beating Florida. He was on the sidelines while Chavis's defense was on the field. Very rarely is one man enough to make the total difference in the outcome of a game.

He's better than any QB on our roster right now, no matter the style of offense.
I don’t agree with you. He’s a better runner. Weak passer. How would he improve us? And for UT to land him, he’d have to go grad transfer. So even if I’m wrong, we get one year of him in a new offense...what’s the point?

I don’t agree with you. He’s a better runner. Weak passer. How would he improve us? And for UT to land him, he’d have to go grad transfer. So even if I’m wrong, we get one year of him in a new offense...what’s the point?
if he doesn't play in more than 4 games this year, he'd have two years of eligibility left. not that it should matter. but, 2 is more than 1. if he does transfer, he'll get a lot of looks.

I personally remember coach Bryant and Bama very well. This dynasty is a lot more tradition than happenstance. Don't bet on it.

The only truly unsuccessful coach since Bryant was Shula. Well, the ones employed long enough to see the field. Perkins and Curry had good runs. they were just immediately after Bear and no way the first couple coaches weren't gonna get run off regardless of what they did. Stallings was a great coach IMO. Shula had to follow the circus. He was a sacrificial lamb to buy some time until someone like Saban was available, and to put distance from the circus.

Be the best thing we have had in a lot of years if he came here. Not that great overall but he wins.

THey had a QB named Jay Barker at one time had same MO talent wise. Won alot of games and some titles, but never got the love from the NFL. Prob best QB they've had in a couple decades or more. IMO.

VN Store

Back