Jalen ButtHurts not happy with QB competition anymore. (would Tennessee be interested?)

Butch is gone, why would we need a strictly running qb?
Hurts has a better arm than some QBs on our roster now and athleticism to make up for an OL with a lot of question marks.

If he was on our team now, he’d be the starter easily.

Reactions: Thall17
I don’t know why you wouldn’t want him here. He can manage games and has the ability to make plays when things break down. Pruitt knows his strengths and weaknesses probably better than anyone.
It's not that I wouldn't necessarily want him here, I just don't think he'd end up here

Eh if JG loses the starting job and transfers we’ll probably test the waters for grad transfer QBs and we could definitely do worse than Hurts. If we’d have been able to get him (and he was eligible) this offseason, I’d have taken him over Chryst without thinking about it. They’re about the same accuracy wise and Hurts can run like a RB, so he’d probably do a lot of favors for an OL that has a lot of question marks.

Hurts is better right now than anything we have at QB. If he was our QB instead of Chryst or JG, we’d be a lock for a bowl game.

I agree. Hurts is underappreciated. That's not exactly the style of qb I'd necessarily want, prob not the style Helton wants, but it's crazy how people on here devalue him

I agree. Hurts is underappreciated. That's not exactly the style of qb I'd necessarily want, prob not the style Helton wants, but it's crazy how people on here devalue him
Yeah I agree. Not our ideal QB by any means, but I’d take him in a second over what we have now.

I honestly don't think he's the style of QB Saban wants, even though he did recruit him. I think he wants a much more capable passer and doesn't necessarily want to run an offense with read option-type principles (like they did with Kiffin). I think Saban's prototypical QB is an A.J. McCarron type of guy.

Saban and that offensive staff managed Hurts absolutely brilliantly though. He rarely made plays with his arm, but he made plays with his legs and hardly ever made big mistakes.

Also, any Tennessee fan that wouldn't want him on this team because he "isn't good" is just nuts and totally detached from the reality of our current team.

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan

I will agree on this. Maybe his poise and leadership are what’s needed most here. You can’t be the QB at Bama without those 2 qualities

I honestly don't think he's the style of QB Saban wants, even though he did recruit him. I think he wants a much more capable passer and doesn't necessarily want to run an offense with read option-type principles (like they did with Kiffin). I think Saban's prototypical QB is an A.J. McCarron type of guy.

Saban and that offensive staff managed Hurts absolutely brilliantly though. He rarely made plays with his arm, but he made plays with his legs and hardly ever made big mistakes.

Also, any Tennessee fan that wouldn't want him on this team because he "isn't good" is just nuts and totally detached from the reality of our current team.
I don't think Saban would approve Jalen Hurts transfer to Tennessee. I think Hurts would more likely transfer somewhere close to home like Texas,Houston or TCU.

Reactions: TN_Transplant
I don't think Saban would approve Jalen Hurts transfer to Tennessee. I think Hurts would more likely transfer somewhere close to home like Texas,Houston or TCU.
I agree that he wouldn't come to Tennessee, but it wouldn't be because Saban wouldn't approve it. Hurts is on track to graduate this December. If he did, he could play anywhere immediately in 2019. They changed this rule earlier this year after the spring meetings. It's how Brandon Kennedy is going to play immediately for us.

Sometimes you just have to tough it out and go with what you've got. You dance with who you brought, so to speak.

We have Quarterbacks. QBs that we haven't seen play in our new offense after getting actually coached by new coaches. Let's give them a chance before we make the decision that we haven't got anything worth keeping.

You hit on the aspect that I'd forgotten, and very few people have brought up.

He was a better fit with kiffin's offense. When Saban is coach coordinators sometimes get forgotten or diminished. People forget the offense changed, and his success with muffin as a true freshman wasn't ever duplicated last year. Not to the same extent.

That's probably the key issue. I forgot all about that, good post

You hit on the aspect that I'd forgotten, and very few people have brought up.

He was a better fit with kiffin's offense. When Saban is coach coordinators sometimes get forgotten or diminished. People forget the offense changed, and his success with muffin as a true freshman wasn't ever duplicated last year. Not to the same extent.

That's probably the key issue. I forgot all about that, good post

If you had to distill Saban's success down to one thing it's his willingness to adapt. Even more than his ability to recruit. His offensive schemes/style have changed over time, as have the types of players he recruits on defense (particularly at LB).

Saban brought in Kiffin to run a more "modern," read option-type of offense with Blake Sims, then with Hurts. Before that he ran a more conventional pro-style/pistol offense with McCarron and McElroy. He's got Tua now, so I expect the offense they run this year (assuming Tua wins the job) to be more pro-style and passing oriented, but still allow Tua to run some.

On defense, he has started recruiting slightly smaller, faster LBs several years ago to deal with read option offenses and mobile QBs.

Saban undoubtedly has a way he'd prefer to play the game, but he isn't beholden to that style like a lot of coaches are.

If you re looking for a "QB" you overlook Hurts.

If your looking for a RB that can handle snaps, make short throws, and pull it down and run, you make the attempt if he's free.

If your looking for a WINNER then....get him. He throws better than Dobbs

I want to see hurts go to Army or Navy, rush for 3000 yds and pass for 1000 in a season and take them to heights we only have read about in black and white picture books in our elementary libraries. I like Hurts a lot, he isn't a great QB, but he beat our ass in '16. If they had concrete legs Coker in 16 we may have played a game similar to '15.

Interesting that the perception of Adams on VN is that he is a Tennessee hater, yet here he is openly making the case for Hurts to transfer here.

Maybe Adams hates Hurts more than he hates Tennessee . . . . More likely is the fact that Adams did not take his medication prior to authoring this drivel.

Yeah I agree. Not our ideal QB by any means, but I’d take him in a second over what we have now.

Yeah but I honestly don't know what we do have at QB. Having Hurts would be nice, more options, but I am eager to see what Helton can do with what he has.

VN Store

Back