Jalen Hurd to declare

Maybe it's all scheme and coaching that drug him down. That's entirely possible.

But, as of right now, there are at least 10 I'd take over Hurd.

He gained 1300 yds in 2015 in a mismatched scheme with a sub-par O-line. Last year was a much better judge of his talent. Name the 10.

He gained 1300 yds in 2015 in a mismatched scheme with a sub-par O-line. Last year was a much better judge of his talent.

It took him 277 rushes to gain 1288 yards. There is nothing overly impressive about 4.65 yards per carry. Again, scheme, coaching, and the talent around him certainly could be to blame. But at some point he needed to show that he could put his team on his back and break a game open and he never did that.

Name the 10.

B. Williams, R. Williams, Guice, Fournette, Harris, Scarbrough, Jacobs, Pettway, Chubb, Johnson, Michel, Kamara.

There's 12. And I'd give serious thought to another 3 to 5.

Reactions: 1 person
I hate that he quit, but we don't know everything about his situation. I bet all if the narrative about the LT effects of concussions and the fact that he'd had several recent hits that really lit him up scared him. I can't blame him for rethinking continuing to play as an amateur when he has set-for-life money well within his reach. The D-1 NCAA world is littered with guys that were better than him and had it all end with one play.

That last statement is nowhere close to being true.

Walter Camp updated 12/3
1 Fournette
2 Cook
3 McCaffrey
4 Kamara
5 Samuel
6 Foreman
7 Chubb
8 Freeman
9 Gallman
10 Perine
11 Hurd
12 Michel

I obviously disagree. I'm not basing my opinion here on projected draft boards. From what I saw this year around the SEC, here are the running backs I think are better, more explosive, more productive SEC running backs than Jalen Hurd......

1. Alvin Kamara
2. John Kelly
3. Kamryn Pettway
4. Rawleigh Williams
5. Sony Michel
6. Nick Chubb (bad knee and all)
7. Boom Williams
8. Derius Guice
9. Leonard Fournette
10. Kerryon Johnson
11. Damien Harris
12. Bo Scarborough
13. Trayveon Williams
14. Ralph Webb

As a matter of fact, there are 2 QBs who are better SEC runners than Hurd IMO...Joshua Dobbs and Nick Fitzgerald.

He really hurt his draft stock by quitting mid season. Would've been a 3rd or 4th rounder in my opinion. Guess he is hoping to impress enough at the combine for a team to take a chance on him based on his measureables and 40 time.

It took him 277 rushes to gain 1288 yards. There is nothing overly impressive about 4.65 yards per carry. Again, scheme, coaching, and the talent around him certainly could be to blame. But at some point he needed to show that he could put his team on his back and break a game open and he never did that.

B. Williams, R. Williams, Guice, Fournette, Harris, Scarbrough, Jacobs, Pettway, Chubb, Johnson, Michel, Kamara.

Exactly.

I honestly thought when Hurd signed that we were getting Eric Dickerson 2.0. Unfortunately, it was much closer to Eddie George 2.0 and the gap between those two players is cavernous IMO.

Will get a running back into the HOF, stupid bammer.

Will get a running back into the HOF, stupid bammer.

That won't even get a college running back named all-conference. College and NFL games completely different. 4.65 is very good in the NFL....not so much at the college level.

And 3.7 (which is what Hurd averaged this year) is awful, especially considering that his replacements, Kamara and Kelly, stepped in behind the same OL in the same scheme and averaged 5.9 and 6.8 yards respectively.

Reactions: 2 people
Kamara changed his body from 2015 to 2016.

55ec8a27dc578.image.jpg

636115581147007310-Tennessee-TexasAM-4061.jpg

If you can't see the fact that Kamara is more slender and defined in 2016 than he was in 2015 then I can't help you.

Physically he's changed. For the better IMO.

No difference. Looks the same.

Reactions: 4 people
NFL my stupid bammer friend.

Emmett Smith 4.2 ypc
Walter Payton 4.4 ypc

They were pretty good backs.

You're talking NFL hoss. Completely different animal than college, even at the SEC level. 4.2 and 4.4 won't get you ish in college. And Hurd was at 3.7 this year. No bueno.

Emmitt Smith 4.2 ypc - 5.6 ypc in college
Walter Payton 4.4 ypc - 6.0 ypc in college

They were pretty good backs.

Jalen Hurd - 4.5 ypc in college

Solid case you've made there.

Roughly the same drop in ypc average as Smith and Payton would leave Hurd with 3.375 ypc. Think that'll get him in the HOF?

Last edited:
How many of you people have declared for the NFL draft before?

That's what I thought.

Good luck to him. I hope he makes it and does well.

I wish I could go back and find quotes from some of you on this board when you acknowledged THE BEAST of a RB Hurd was last year in multiple games--Fla, Alabama, UGa, and ultimately the powerful stiff-arm he used to just throw down that dude from NW in his bowl game performance....

And now you same folks are insinuating that he's a bum and worthless....disowning him...for making an immature and extremely disappointing decision as a 20 year old young man...... :crazy:

You guys are the same losers who failed to recognize Arian Foster's potential and talent...while only noticing his petulant attitude while here at UT....and yes, that attitude forced him into free agency---but, how did that turn out for Foster in the NFL?

Yes--Hurd will lose some bonus money on the front end, but he will make it up over his career.....because the kid has the talent and drive to succeed....

And hopefully he won't have to play for a "poser" like CBJ in the NFL......:salute:

You're talking NFL hoss. Completely different animal than college, even at the SEC level. 4.2 and 4.4 won't get you ish in college. And Hurd was at 3.7 this year. No bueno.

And Fournette averaged < 2 ypc in his games against Bama while in the SEC.....

Conclusion: Fournette is worthless and will not be able to get it done running the ball in the NFL......:loco::crazy:

How many of you people have declared for the NFL draft before?

That's what I thought.

Good luck to him. I hope he makes it and does well.

Point?

I wish him well going forward. But just like I needn't have lived in the West Wing of the White House to discuss/criticize the president, I also don't need to have declared for the NFL draft to share an opinion on Jalen Hurd in this thread.

Always liked him. But I can't forgive him for quitting on the team. Guess it was to much to put the ego on the backburner a few more weeks. He goes undrafted because scouts know he's a quitter as well!

And Fournette averaged < 2 ypc in his games against Bama while in the SEC.....

Conclusion: Fournette is worthless and will not be able to get it done running the ball in the NFL......:loco::crazy:

Try again brother. You're making like Stretch Armstrong on this one. Silly analogy.

VN Store

Back