Jaylen Wright going pro

Prob round 3 I'd guess...but he can have some real success regardless of where he goes. I'd say alot of teams would want him, at least as first off the bench RB.
I'd say that is his ceiling unless he just goes out and does something crazy like run a sub-4.3 40. He has ideal NFL size (5-11, 210 lbs) and excellent speed. He averaged 6.7 ypc on 283 carries over the past two seasons for 1888 yds and 14 TDs, and demonstrated an ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Another thing really favorable to him is his age. He won't turn 21 until a month before the draft. With the covid year, you're seeing a lot of 23 year olds (and older) entering their rookie years while Wright will just be a young 21. If he can succeed on his first contract, he will be fishing for a second contract around his 25th birthday, which will be favorable to landing a nice deal vs someone who is 27 or 28 at the RB position.

Non veteran practice squad players make 12000$ a week.

Players on the roster get a minimum 750,000$ their first year.

Get drafted and earn a contract with bonuses and guaranteed money and it can go even higher.

Personally have a hard time faulting any of these guys for taking a chance on that kind of money if they think they are good enough.

Most people aren't coming out of college with a 4 year degree and that kind of earning potential right off.

SZAFuEI.gif
That scene makes me hurt just thinking about it.

Reactions: butchna
A guy can have a nice career in the NFL even if he's not a feature back as long as they can pass protect and run routes out of the backfield, Wright can do both.
This^^ A well rounded player with the added benefit of genuine game breaking speed can earn some real bank even if not one of those bell cow types. (which are becoming more rare regardless these days)

Reactions: hog88
Great Vol, but this was expected after 3 years of results at a CFB Level. This only really hurts if we lose Sampson. No way were we going to get both back

196 rbs had 100 or more carries this year. Wright has a better ypc than all of them.

The only player in the NCAA with 100+ carries that had a better ypc was Jayden Daniels.

I get that rbs don't have the value they used to but I'd find it hard to believe he won't be drafted at all. I was thinking mid draft. All depending on combine performance though.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I know the RB position is devalued . . . but it's crazy to me that a sub 4.4 guy who just ran for 1,000 yards in the SEC projects as a free agent. Hopefully he turns heads at the combine and makes some money on the 3rd day of the draft.

When all is said and done with the pro day evaluations and the combine I think he’ll be drafted. He’s got good measurables and there really aren’t a lot of standout running backs this year. He was near the top of the SEC in most rushing stats.

I've been trying to find a site which has him being drafted, and I have finally found one .... it's much more positive than any of the others ....

Pro Football Network has him going late in the 4th round at #124 overall to the Minnesota Vikings. It's not that I don't want him to be successful. He just doesn't appear to be as coveted as some of you want to believe.

I've been trying to find a site which has him being drafted, and I have finally found one .... it's much more positive than any of the others ....

Pro Football Network has him going late in the 4th round at #124 overall to the Minnesota Vikings. It's not that I don't want him to be successful. He just doesn't appear to be as coveted as some of you want to believe.
I was thinking 4th - 6th

More power to him if he’s getting a first or second round draft evaluation.
If he's a second day pick, he will still be doing fine. Most important is to land somewhere that he'll get a real opportunity.

Best of luck to Jaylen, a true VFL.

GL to him. He played hard and was a workhorse for us. A RB has a shelf life, so hopefully he balls out on his combine/workouts and gets his chance. He has all the measurables to be a big time guy. If he is truly 5’11” and 200 or more with a 4.3x, somebody will take a shot on him.

Best of luck, hope he makes him some money and memories

almost zero production as a pass catcher will definitely ding him overall.

He will need to be a top performer at the combine
He was actually #3 on the team in receptions behind Squirrel and Remel. Granted that was mostly short checkdown stuff so not a ton of yards but he can catch. I'm assuming there will be receiving drills at the combine and if he impresses in that capacity to go along with what I'm pretty certain is going to be impressive measureables he could make himself some money.

Reactions: LordVOLdemort

VN Store

Back