Jerry Mack could be going to the NFL

I think it’s more about the unsettled nature of his situation than his coaching ability. The last thing UT needs is more bad publicity. Jmo
If it’s not a punishable offense, I don’t care about the pub, we need another elite recruiter on staff in a bad way. He’s probably worth 2 extra blue chippers per cycle. That’s roughly the difference between the 10th ranked class and the 5th ranked class, give or take a spot.

Guys I would be interested in...

Anthony Jones fits best of the role Mack leaves behind, with connections to Memphis area, Chattanooga, North Ga. Plus TCU has had some good RB production in a similar system past few years.

Robert Gillespie - one of the best RB coaches we have had, good recruiting good developer, being chosen by Saban, shows the respect he has from great coaches. Would be my choice!

Montario Hardesty - VFL, One of the best young recruiters, done a good job at USCe, would love to give him a shot here.

These are my top 3. I hope we don't hire from within. Let's get a quality proven coach
Do ppl in the football forum have any knowledge of how montario actually recruited at USCe?

Jerry Mack was an out of nowhere hire with no splash as a renowned recruiter…and outside Heupel’s “tree”. Didn’t make sense when Merritt had already moved and knew the system. In his time here, the RBs were developed and a strength. But we weren’t exactly dragging in five stars at the position. Even Lewis was mostly the result of good evaluation that got bumped up at Star Christmas. So all these demands of what Heupel NEEDS and what’s not acceptable is background noise. He’ll hire the candidate who he thinks can teach his running backs his system best. After some whining from the usuals and VQ, Abeln already landed a high 4 star TE for this next class and is in good with another. Pope has been an upgrade. There will be educated due diligence in Mack’s replacement. The days of Chris Weinke coaching running backs and Brian Niedermeyer coaching linebackers cuz RECRUITING is over. Dude wants teachers and developers and the program will set the ceiling of their recruiting.

Jerry Mack was an out of nowhere hire with no splash as a renowned recruiter…and outside Heupel’s “tree”. Didn’t make sense when Merritt had already moved and knew the system. In his time here, the RBs were developed and a strength. But we weren’t exactly dragging in five stars at the position. Even Lewis was mostly the result of good evaluation that got bumped up at Star Christmas. So all these demands of what Heupel NEEDS and what’s not acceptable is background noise. He’ll hire the candidate who he thinks can teach his running backs his system best. After some whining from the usuals and VQ, Abeln already landed a high 4 star TE for this next class and is in good with another. Pope has been an upgrade. There will be educated due diligence in Mack’s replacement. The days of Chris Weinke coaching running backs and Brian Niedermeyer coaching linebackers cuz RECRUITING is over. Dude wants teachers and developers and the program will set the ceiling of their recruiting.
Very true. The entire premise is cathartic.

I sure hope Heupel has as good an understanding of what qualities are needed for his RB coach position (and who possesses them) as the people on this board! I’m nervous!

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Go away with your sensible post. This is VN. We know who needs to be hired and when he isn’t hired, we’re gonna complain. Dammit.

I think the running issues at USCe were more of a result of terrible offensive line, poor offensive coordinator, and playing too much thru Rattler.

I think in the right system and program M.Hardesty would be a fine running backs coach

None the less there are others I prefer over him

Jalen Hurd lives down the street from me here in Hendersonville he has a five star heart, that he can use as a recruiting "tool"

Another name AP mentioned a few minutes ago on RKW on 104.5 zone in Nashville... Was Oregon RB Coach Carlos Locklyn, he has ties to Memphis and could be interested in returning to the south.

Reactions: EBFVOL
I just want another badass recruiter on staff.

Some of the suggestions in here have been god awful.
Awful as in not proven or awful as in awful?

Recruiting starts with guys that want to actually do it. Some coaches are great coaches but as far as wanting to be on the road or phones or social media with 17 and 18 yo kids, it’s a grind.

They are missing one
More than just 1 IMO...

Gillespie
Taylor
Hardesty

Sure there are others... hope the new guy can recruit and coach as well as Mack. We have gotten excellent production out of our RBs that were not the most sought after backs coming out of HS. The development at the position was obvious...which is why Mack is in the NFL now. The eye for talent/potential has also been remarkable.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
More than just 1 IMO...

Gillespie
Taylor
Hardesty

Sure there are others... hope the new guy can recruit and coach as well as Mack. We have gotten excellent production out of our RBs that were not the most sought after backs coming out of HS. The development at the position was obvious...which is why Mack is in the NFL now. The eye for talent/potential has also been remarkable.
And before Heupel announced his hire how many VN short lists was he on?

Reactions: Orange.

VN Store

Back