Joe Milton outperforming Drake Maye

Some people just can't stop the hate on Joe. It's sad
I don't think it's hate. He seems like a great guy and I'm sure he throws amazing passes in practice. But, we all saw him struggle on game day. I think people are just being realistic about the fact that he still has a long way to go if he ever wants to get on the field in the NFL.

I don't think it's hate. He seems like a great guy and I'm sure he throws amazing passes in practice. But, we all saw him struggle on game day. I think people are just being realistic about the fact that he still has a long way to go if he ever wants to get on the field in the NFL.
It's hate and a lot of it

My God most of the responses in this thread are pathetic. Joe wasnt great last year. Nevermind that the WRs didn’t help him one bit dropping perfect deep balls in their bread basket...

I doubt Joe gets a chance this year after the patriots spent a 1st on Maye. But if he does I hope he balls out. He was never anything but class and a great representative of the university in his time at Tennessee. I guess VFL only means something if the player was great to some of y’all. But I’m rooting for him big time.

My God most of the responses in this thread are pathetic. Joe wasnt great last year. Nevermind that the WRs didn’t help him one bit dropping perfect deep balls in their bread basket...

I doubt Joe gets a chance this year after the patriots spent a 1st on Maye. But if he does I hope he balls out. He was never anything but class and a great representative of the university in his time at Tennessee. I guess VFL only means something if the player was great to some of y’all. But I’m rooting for him big time.
All things considered Joe actually had a good year. It wasn't perfect but he played well. Who knows he may do better in a more traditional offense. Go get it Joe

Keep telling yourself that

Uh, oh. This sounds just like that other 6th rounder the Patriots got some time ago. Looks like dejavu all over again! 😀
Talk about polar opposites: the guy with minimal athleticism and lots of savvy v. the other way around.

Edit: Not disrespecting either - Brady is the GOAT and a testament to recognizing your strengths and willing yourself to success, hope the same for Joe.

Last edited:
These are facts….
Joe was a great representative for UT
Joe still overthrew and did not progress enough in the “touch” element of his throws
His deep ball was nasty but WR’s didn’t help out (some him, some WR)
Glad he came here
He needs to develop his short yardage throws and dial it down a bit for more of those to be completions.
He can throw the ball 1,000 miles in the air… it’s a thing of beauty.

Wish him the best and hope he wins the starting job at NE but I don’t think he will for numerous reasons and not all on him.

VolFreakJosh - " if you even slightly criticize a Vol or former Vol, then you must hate him"

Vols30- “Let me come to the defense of posters taking unnecessary jabs in a thread that was meant to discuss how well Joe is doing in the NFL so far.

You never disappoint.

Yep. I would love to know what our “fans” get out of hating on the guy. He wasn’t Hooker but he wasn’t a bad QB for us either.
I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to when you are talking about "hate", but Milton looking like a world beater in practice but less so in games has been documented everywhere he has been, that's not "hate", that's his track record. If somebody is calling him derogatory names or saying they hope he doesn't win the job, then by all means let's get rid of the hate for Joe, he doesn't deserve that.

I think some should expand their vocabulary. Being critical of someone isn't hate. I love my kids dearly and have been critical of them at times throughout their entire lives. I haven't seen anyone state anything that sounds like hate. If he stands with a clipboard the rest of his career, It would still be a lucrative career. He reminds me of Jeff George. Throw it 60 yards and hope someone is there. I don't think he will be a good NFL quarterback, but I do think he can have a good career. I pull for him to succeed, but I don't expect it. I believe other posters that are critical think the same.

I think some should expand their vocabulary. Being critical of someone isn't hate. I love my kids dearly and have been critical of them at times throughout their entire lives. I haven't seen anyone state anything that sounds like hate. If he stands with a clipboard the rest of his career, It would still be a lucrative career. He reminds me of Jeff George. Throw it 60 yards and hope someone is there. I don't think he will be a good NFL quarterback, but I do think he can have a good career. I pull for him to succeed, but I don't expect it. I believe other posters that are critical think the same.
For many people, anything short of praise is hate. No interest in nuance anymore, yet we live in an extremely nuanced world

For many people, anything short of praise is hate. No interest in nuance anymore, yet we live in an extremely nuanced world
Joe gave his all for Tennessee but if you know the NFL at all a team that invested almost $40 million in a 1st round draft pick at QB isn't going to start another rookie drafted late in draft.

If that's being negative so be it

Last edited:
I have not read all the threads no Hate here, but I will say Joe had a good Senior year. On beating out Drake Maye, Joe also beat out HH so there's that. Since Heupel has been a HC Joes numbers are the lowest for a QB under him although his numbers are good by normal standards. He did have a lot of drops but that goes with the position, if you throw a sure interception and DB drops, that don't show up on the books either. So, I'll be pulling for him to embrace the Pro game and full steam ahead. In other words it does not surprise me he's showing out he has all the intangibles, if he can keep it together.

It's kinda sad how people go out of their way to crap on VFL's getting positive press. Let the man shine and get his moment in the sun and if he makes the roster great. But Colin Cowherd made a good point about the RG3 Cousins thing. I don't think Joe will win the job even if he does win the job. The fact he is in a position to be in a conversation is something we should all be proud of though. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Every coach slobbers over Milton’s physical abilities and thinks they’re the one to coach him up. I hope he goes out there and kills it, but past performance doesn’t lead me to think it’ll happen. Hope he proves us all wrong. I want all the Vols to do well.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Every coach slobbers over Milton’s physical abilities and thinks they’re the one to coach him up. I hope he goes out there and kills it, but past performance doesn’t lead me to think it’ll happen. Hope he proves us all wrong. I want all the Vols to do well.
My dog and cracked crystal ball still insist JoMil will have a Doug Williams type career.

My vocabulary is quite expansive. Play whatever semantics you want but it's clear in tone and tenor that it is hate. Completely unnecessary and irrelevant jabs are what else?

VN Store

Back