Joe Milton outperforming Drake Maye

Joe is a practice all american.

In the game - can't read defenses, can't make quick decisions, low football IQ and poor accuracy - and that was at college level.

Pros - windows are smaller, game is faster, defenses are more complex and better at disguising coverages.

If he starts, I predict he will be benched by game 2 at the latest

It's kinda sad how people go out of their way to crap on VFL's getting positive press. Let the man shine and get his moment in the sun and if he makes the roster great. But Colin Cowherd made a good point about the RG3 Cousins thing. I don't think Joe will win the job even if he does win the job. The fact he is in a position to be in a conversation is something we should all be proud of though. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.
Don’t know who will dictate who gets on the field in the New Patriot world. Coach? GM? Owner?

I do think their VFL coach is a principled guy, so he has a decent shot to get what he earns. Whatever that is as camp moves forward.

Milton haters still out in full force I see
I respect your defense of Milton, but in defense of myself I must explain that I don't throw shade on Milton because I hate him. I love Milton. I throw shade because the limitations that he put on our offense last year is part of the foundation of my expectations for this year... I'm expecting a return to something that resembles the 2022 offense and it's 100% because I think we've made a huge upgrade at QB. It's nothing personal. I just think we'll contend for a national championship this season and I like to explain why :)

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Joe Milton- just keep doing what you are doing and giving it your all just like you did at Tennessee. You are a VFL no matter what happens in your NFL career for how you carried yourself while at the University of Tennessee. Especially in a time of the transfer portal era and social media.

I have been reading that you are the fan favorite in New England with the loudest ovations during scrimmages and practices so far. And that everyone is rooting for you. I am one of those people also.

Good luck Joe!

Don’t know who will dictate who gets on the field in the New Patriot world. Coach? GM? Owner?

I do think their VFL coach is a principled guy, so he has a decent shot to get what he earns. Whatever that is as camp moves forward.
No one in their right mind thinks Joe will win the job. Outside of some crazy happenings. Mayo is smart enough to know unless its just a stompdown clear cut thing even if Joe won the job he wouldn't be able to play him until Maye and Brissett both thoroughly stunk it up. Its a feel good preseason story and maybe it turns into something but not likely. Cowheard and others are hedging bets and trying to drop some crumbs in case this turns into something down the road. Then they can say see I told ya. They just really started training camps and no preseason games have been played nor pads put on.

I respect your defense of Milton, but in defense of myself I must explain that I don't throw shade on Milton because I hate him. I love Milton. I throw shade because the limitations that he put on our offense last year is part of the foundation of my expectations for this year... I'm expecting a return to something that resembles the 2022 offense and it's 100% because I think we've made a huge upgrade at QB. It's nothing personal. I just think we'll contend for a national championship this season and I like to explain why :)
There is no defense for the lack of character to UNNECESSARILY throw shade on any LOYAL VFL. Especially one that has physical abilities like his, and rule out the POSSIBILITY that a new scheme could better fit those skills and that the lights COULD go on.

Joe is foxhole sharing worthy, arrogant negative detractors not so much. Short of mega bucks donations to the AD, their value add calculation is awful. I would have to see the acknowledgment letter.

He has done great things for our coach and our program in several recent interviews and deserves at a minimum the application of the “if you don’t have something nice to say” doctrine.

They call it cheap shoting for a reason,

For sure folks are free to do so. One of the subsets of EVERY PROGRAM HAS THEM fans.

I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to when you are talking about "hate", but Milton looking like a world beater in practice but less so in games has been documented everywhere he has been, that's not "hate", that's his track record. If somebody is calling him derogatory names or saying they hope he doesn't win the job, then by all means let's get rid of the hate for Joe, he doesn't deserve that.
Isn't it odd that NFL scouts, who have a ton of exceptional talent to choose from and little desire to waste time and resources on someone who will never pan out, aren't as smart as your analysis and drafted Joe and are working with him despite him being a "practice superstar." They could have NEVER EVER have known that but you do.

You chose the wrong career because if that's SO obvious to you, you could have a future in the NFL as a scout or GM or coach.

Or perhaps........ not.

In the words of the backstreet boys
"It's gonna be Maye"

Remember folks they threw Zach Wilson out there way longer than he should have been because he was a first round pick

That being said, it's always been mental for Joe. Maybe he can find the perfect coach to counsel him

Isn't it odd that NFL scouts, who have a ton of exceptional talent to choose from and little desire to waste time and resources on someone who will never pan out, aren't as smart as your analysis and drafted Joe and are working with him despite him being a "practice superstar." They could have NEVER EVER have known that but you do.

You chose the wrong career because if that's SO obvious to you, you could have a future in the NFL as a scout or GM or coach.

Or perhaps........ not.
Damn, you are really in your feelings about this, where did I say drafting Milton was a "waste of time or resources" or that he would "never pan out"? I don't have an opinion on his talent, but it's well documented that he looks incredible in practice, that's always been the case, at Michigan and here. That's not an opinion, that has already happened. People who know more than us have written not a few articles, talked on podcasts, etc. (two different times here, both before the 2021 season and before the 2023 season about how great he looked in practice, with the hope that it was going to show up on the field). Last year he was adequate most of the time, but certainly was a step back from Hooker.

Unquestionably he has the tools. I honestly wish him well, but I don't have my head up my azz to the extent that I can't admit that receiving reports that he looks incredible in practice is nothing new for Joe Milton. That's his track record. And certainly you aren't suggesting that NFL scouts are never wrong? Hell, I think most NFL scouts would tell you that most 6th round draft picks are projects and shots in the dark that you hope to get lucky with, more than people you are really counting on.

Day eight

• 7-on-7s: Brissett: 4/5 Maye: 4/5
  • 11-on-11s: Brissett: 13/22, Maye: 7/9, Milton: 0/1
  • Joe Milton III got very few 11-on-11 reps. Bailey Zappe didn't get any. Neither saw action in 7-on-7s.
That window of opportunity for Joe as QB2 seems to be closing a bit. QB3 is probably his.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
Damn, you are really in your feelings about this, where did I say drafting Milton was a "waste of time or resources" or that he would "never pan out"? I don't have an opinion on his talent, but it's well documented that he looks incredible in practice, that's always been the case, at Michigan and here. That's not an opinion, that has already happened. People who know more than us have written not a few articles, talked on podcasts, etc. (two different times here, both before the 2021 season and before the 2023 season about how great he looked in practice, with the hope that it was going to show up on the field). Last year he was adequate most of the time, but certainly was a step back from Hooker.

Unquestionably he has the tools. I honestly wish him well, but I don't have my head up my azz to the extent that I can't admit that receiving reports that he looks incredible in practice is nothing new for Joe Milton. That's his track record. And certainly you aren't suggesting that NFL scouts are never wrong? Hell, I think most NFL scouts would tell you that most 6th round draft picks are projects and shots in the dark that you hope to get lucky with, more than people you are really counting on.
The truth is: the Patriots could've drafted a lot of other talent and chose Milton. They aren't "unaware" of his deficits and they have put money on the line with him.

That in itself, while no one would call Milton "generational" or "100% ready to step into a starter role" is better than 99.9% of college QBs.

There's zero need to disparage the talent of anyone who gets an NFL draft pick. Ever.

Will he pan out? Brady did from a similar position. I can't think of the kid called "Mr Irrelevant" who earned a starting NFL QB job.

If they hit the field in the NFL at QB, they're nowhere near just a "practice superstar."

The truth is: the Patriots could've drafted a lot of other talent and chose Milton. They aren't "unaware" of his deficits and they have put money on the line with him.

That in itself, while no one would call Milton "generational" or "100% ready to step into a starter role" is better than 99.9% of college QBs.

There's zero need to disparage the talent of anyone who gets an NFL draft pick. Ever.

Will he pan out? Brady did from a similar position. I can't think of the kid called "Mr Irrelevant" who earned a starting NFL QB job.

If they hit the field in the NFL at QB, they're nowhere near just a "practice superstar."
That's a more sensible reply, but again I don't think it's disparaging of Milton to say reports of him showing out in practice are nothing new with him, that's 100% on brand with his documented track record.

That's a more sensible reply, but again I don't think it's disparaging of Milton to say reports of him showing out in practice are nothing new with him, that's 100% on brand with his documented track record.
And that track record got him drafted to the NFL.

It's obviously good enough.

Joe gave his all for Tennessee but if you know the NFL at all a team that invested almost $40 million in a 1st round draft pick at QB isn't going to start another rookie drafted late in draft.

If that's being negative so be it
Some people can't see anything eption in monochrome. Appreciating a VFL and being forthright about there weaknesses are not mutually exclusive. I hate to break it to everyone, but every Vol who made our roster is not a NFL HoFer. ... well, Bain, but other than him.

Some of y'all are charmin soft man. We all watched Joe for the last half a decade or however long it was. We know what he is. I'm being told I'm an embarrassment and should be ashamed of myself because of what I saw, we all saw, with our own eyes. Over and over again. We hyped him up for like 3 off seasons and he never delivered. He is what he is. It's not hate. I love Joe. It's just being realistic.

Reactions: Bloodrunsorange27
Care to explain? If you think for a second that the Pats will play a 6th round pick over the 3rd overall pick... Ive got a nice bridge to sell you. Unless Maye COMPLETLY falls apart, Joe will have to wait.
Exactly. He got almost 40 mil guaranteed plus a 24 mil signing bonus. He's the guy until he goes out there on Sunday and shows that he absolutely is not.

Reactions: jeff1vol
Care to explain? If you think for a second that the Pats will play a 6th round pick over the 3rd overall pick... Ive got a nice bridge to sell you. Unless Maye COMPLETLY falls apart, Joe will have to wait.
Qualifier, I'm not suggesting Joe is Tom but 6th round Tom replaced 1s round 1st pick Drew Bledsoe, this happened. It was incredible because Tom Brady is in better shape now at 47 than he was at the combine at 22 and was not a full time starter at Michigan.

Some of y'all are charmin soft man. We all watched Joe for the last half a decade or however long it was. We know what he is. I'm being told I'm an embarrassment and should be ashamed of myself because of what I saw, we all saw, with our own eyes. Over and over again. We hyped him up for like 3 off seasons and he never delivered. He is what he is. It's not hate. I love Joe. It's just being realistic.
I'm curious. Given that Joe got drafted and Ramel Keyton, Jalen McCullough, and Jabari Small didn't, do we also "know what we saw" from those guys?

Is that the way it is? Are those guys merely second rate, we saw what they aren't guys?

What's the problem with it then? No one said he hadn't been drafted in the NFL. You are tilting at windmills.
Less than 400 Vols have been drafted since 1936 or something like that.

Give the man his full due. It's an accomplishment most football players who run the T can only imagine. It's not a small feat by any means.

To see people here act like he's a letdown is just BS. He's a very talented athlete and from all reports a solid Vol in the locker room.

VN Store

Back