Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

She had the temerity to note that at the time of her statement, there was not a single African-American coach at UT and that it was lagging behind the rest of the SEC on the diversity front.

It is interesting that some would regard that statement of fact as undermining the university and as a sufficient transgression to warrant a lifetime ban as a coaching candidate.
Pretty confident Lawson has zero interest in coaching at Tennessee. That ship has sailed. And if it is common knowledge that she is "banned" for speaking the truth....good luck finding a quality coach that will stick around....just not a good look for the university at all

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Not sure how accurate this article is reference CKH, just passing along

“She’s been able to have talented rosters without being a top recruiter thanks to the boosters paying transfers through NIL, but boosters have very high expectations — especially for a program that’s won eight national championships. Whether it’s fair to expect a Tennessee head coach to be able to sell recruits on the glory of trophies that came when those recruits were two years old is one question; whether the boosters will stop paying for transfers if Harper fails to do so is another question entirely.”

We were told NIL is the issue for the fall, this article states NIL is saving the fall.

We were told NIL is the issue for the fall, this article states NIL is saving the fall.

And we have absolutely no idea who's right. We have this columnist, Em Adler, whoever that may be, and we have posters on this board who have said Tennessee has been outbid for several players. One of the most reputable folks on here also implied Tennessee's NIL spent what money it did have on specific players - in effect, it made choices on what to priotize, which left it short in other areas. Which side is right? And which side is wrong? I do not know. I am, however, slightly inclined to put more trust in some of the people who've discussed Tennessee's NIL situation on this board.

One thing we know is that we don't see the kind of public NIL deals on PR blast here that some schools have been putting out. I've bought up that "25k per player' thing for South Carolina several times before; I don't recall any public declarations from Knoxville of similar deals. As to how much that matters, who can say? I suppose in the fullness of time, we'll find out what was what.

thanks to the boosters paying transfers through NIL,
As always, you already know this but are purposely mixing things up. Obviously we know they have come up w NIL for portal transfers, thank goodness. As Earl has told us several times, donors are far more reluctant for unproven high school recruits. Which perfectly explains why KJH does so well in the portal and so poorly w hs recruits.

Try harder.

Pretty confident Lawson has zero interest in coaching at Tennessee. That ship has sailed. And if it is common knowledge that she is "banned" for speaking the truth....good luck finding a quality coach that will stick around....just not a good look for the university at all
Do you think Tennessee should adopt affirmation action when it comes to hiring head coaches?

And we have absolutely no idea who's right. We have this columnist, Em Adler, whoever that may be, and we have posters on this board who have said Tennessee has been outbid for several players. One of the most reputable folks on here also implied Tennessee's NIL spent what money it did have on specific players. Which side is right? And which side is wrong? I do not know. I am, however, slightly inclined to put more trust in some of the people who've discussed Tennessee's NIL situation on this board.

In the fullness of time, I'm sure we'll find out what was what.
It’s true nobody on the outside has that info, but it’s also true that getting players the caliber of Jackson and Spears from the portal had to be expensive, they were both at/near the top of their portal classes. That infers booster and or NIL collective funds were provided since the school cannot get involved financially. So in that regard the columnist was likely just stating the obvious.

If and when Danny White decides to hire a new HC, I'm positive It will not translate into instant success.

Lots of major recruiting will need to be accomplished.

It will be a process "Brick By Brick " because we all should strive to be "Champions Of Life".

Reactions: brittannica
It’s true nobody on the outside has that info, but it’s also true that getting players the caliber of Jackson and Spears from the portal had to be expensive, they were both at/near the top of their portal classes. That infers booster and or NIL collective funds were provided since the school cannot get involved financially. So in that regard the columnist was likely just stating the obvious.
It is obvious since there was alot of publicity around the Mercedes deal that kept Rickea here. The problem is NIL for high school recruiting. They have to find a way to get reliable NIL fund development instead of hair on fire emergency funding like Rickea's deal. We got very lucky that Ann Baker Furrow was a pioneering UT female athlete and had laid the law down to Big Sam, her hubby and ovner of E TN Mercedes, that the next donation would go to a female.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Which side is right? And which side is wrong? I do not know. I am, however, slightly inclined to put more trust in some of the people who've discussed Tennessee's NIL situation on this board.
anyone can throw numbers out when their is no database verify “bids”

Softens the blow that way

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It is obvious since there was alot of publicity around the Mercedes deal that kept Rickea here. The problem is NIL for high school recruiting.

Horston could have come back this year. Was she not given a nice package deal to stay? Now with that said, school isn’t for everyone and she might of decided to start the next chapter.

Horston could have come back this year. Was she not given a nice package deal to stay? Now with that said, school isn’t for everyone and she might of decided to start the next chapter.
I think that's it. Jordy was ready for a reset, and it worked out really well for her. Great as she was, she was kind of mired in inconsistency here.

“She’s been able to have talented rosters without being a top recruiter thanks to the boosters paying transfers through NIL, but boosters have very high expectations — especially for a program that’s won eight national championships. Whether it’s fair to expect a Tennessee head coach to be able to sell recruits on the glory of trophies that came when those recruits were two years old is one question; whether the boosters will stop paying for transfers if Harper fails to do so is another question entirely.”

The author of that article has no more idea of the state of the Lady Vols BB NIL program than you or I.

anyone can throw numbers out when their is no database verify “bids”

Softens the blow that way

If you want to assign that motivation to them, then you're free to do so. The point is, you don't know, and I don't know. Someone could certainly be lying. They could also be telling the truth. If you want to believe that Tennessee's NIL mechanism is fine, and it's simply Harper who's at fault for every recruiting failure, then that's your call.

And as I said, while I don't know anything either, I'm inclined to believe certain people on here who have connections to the program and the athletic department, rather than some random columnist writing a piece for some paper I don't know.

Unless you are a sure fire elite HS player that will come in and make huge impact I would not offer much NIl to them to many misses . So applying NIL to transfer players who have proved themselves this is what Kellie should do. It is the game I would play. Kellie also will be back next year. In CHRIST Alone

Unless you are a sure fire elite HS player that will come in and make huge impact I would not offer much NIl to them to many misses . So applying NIL to transfer players who have proved themselves this is what Kellie should do. It is the game I would play. Kellie also will be back next year. In CHRIST Alone
Under the present NCAA rules you can't offer high school players anything. So any school that does is currently breaking or has broken that rule. Yes it has happened. I used to get upset when I'd see Kellie say that the first thing recruits would ask her about is NIl money and she would answer you have a lot of opportunity here. Never anything about we'll give you 50 grand to come here cause you can't do that without breaking the rules of the NCAA. I am hoping this judge will hurry up and kill that NCAA rule and see if the offers to high school players can make a difference.

Under the present NCAA rules you can't offer high school players anything. So any school that does is currently breaking or has broken that rule. Yes it has happened. I used to get upset when I'd see Kellie say that the first thing recruits would ask her about is NIl money and she would answer you have a lot of opportunity here. Never anything about we'll give you 50 grand to come here cause you can't do that without breaking the rules of the NCAA. I am hoping this judge will hurry up and kill that NCAA rule and see if the offers to high school players can make a difference.
NIL can negotiate every group does it period. Yes Coaches themselves are not able but again going forward there are very few from HS ranks that deserve much anyway. I do agree that NIL should be used for players who have earned once they started playing for university in all sports because the wild wild west of giving 18 year old's this much money and power is ruining college sports.

I think that's it. Jordy was ready for a reset, and it worked out really well for her. Great as she was, she was kind of mired in inconsistency here.
I think it has more to do with the draft, this year would be stacked if they all come out, a player like Rickea can stay because she’ll be at the top of any draft class.

Reactions: brittannica
NIL can negotiate every group does it period. Yes Coaches themselves are not able but again going forward there are very few from HS ranks that deserve much anyway. I do agree that NIL should be used for players who have earned once they started playing for university in all sports because the wild wild west of giving 18 year old's this much money and power is ruining college sports.
You know the NCAA is trying to close that down saying that the Tennessee collectives are part of the school. Presently being investigated for NIl deals made with high school athletes.

Reactions: knoxvol52
You know the NCAA is trying to close that down saying that the Tennessee collectives are part of the school. Presently being investigated for NIl deals made with high school athletes.
in the end Ncaa will lose and they already know just trying to find their place in all this. I believe in long run until Schools are allowed tp pay athletes money will slow down coming in from regular folk.

VN Store

Back