Kiffin Class: And Then There Were Three

Got to weigh in here.

Kiffin delivered two of the worst recruiting classes in the history of the NCAA. He ran off not one, but TWO NFL QBs and kept the CFL QB not to mention other future NFL former-Vols.

if you're seriously counting Nick and BJ as NFL QB's then Crompton is every bit an NFL QB too.

honestly I don't know why I respond anymore since your relentless trolling spanning 2 different names will never change.

Reactions: 4 people
Got to weigh in here.

Kiffin delivered two of the worst recruiting classes in the history of the NCAA. He ran off not one, but TWO NFL QBs and kept the CFL QB not to mention other future NFL former-Vols.
L
He inherited a nine win squad full of draft picks, All-SEC players, and promptly won only 7. He has shown his true colors at his "dream job" and he will not be there long after they come off probation. He was absolutely the worst hire in NCAA history.

Then Hambone follows up that command performance with probably the second worst hire ever in Derek MF Dooley. These weren't just the "wrong guys" these were two of the worst hires in the history of NCAA football. They make the hiring of Mike Price look like pure genius. At least Price could do no harm.

To hire these guys, Hambone fired a HoF football coach in mid-season. The firing led to a bad loss during the same week which guaranteed a losing season (otherwise, the Vols go bowling). Fulmer had put together a Top Ten recruiting class with a better QB than Bray and one that met needs. Kiffin promptly destroyed that class.

Kiffin and Dooley are still here. They are still on the Hill. The damage they have done has not be fixed. They deserve to be ridiculed in Vol folklore forever.

Go Butch and Team 117!

You mean that Fulmer class consisting of such top notch talent like Edwin Herbert, Jonathan Hollins, Jeron Stokes, Damien Thigpen, Kevin Revis, and Jarvis Giles? Yeah that group would have lead Tennessee back to the promise land. Face it your boy has nobody to blame for getting fired except himself. Nobody forced him to hire the likes of Jimmy Ray Stephens, Johnny Long, Jason Michael, or Dave Clawson. It's sad though that a hall of fame coach had to beg Tom Jurich just to give him an interview. How the mighty have fallen.

Can't really blame Kiffin for a class not panning out, considering they were coached most of their careers by Dooley (or, in some cases, they saw that we hired a 4-8 WAC coach and transferred out of there)

Reactions: 1 person
There will never be a day that I will be upset about the hire of Kiffin because I'm not a damn hypocrite. I loved the energy he brought, I love the brashness he brought, and at the end of the day, I'd have told the team I was with that I was leaving for my dream job.

As I've put it since that day, if I was in Bo Pelini's shoes and had just finished up my first season as HC at Nebraska as Fulmer was fired, I'd have left Lincoln in a second (that they would pay my buyout AND quadruple my salary notwithstanding).

Get the hell over it. We hired a guy that had a countdown timer but brought a major upside and we got unlucky when USC had an opening.

There will never be a day that I will be upset about the hire of Kiffin because I'm not a damn hypocrite. I loved the energy he brought, I love the brashness he brought, and at the end of the day, I'd have told the team I was with that I was leaving for my dream job.

As I've put it since that day, if I was in Bo Pelini's shoes and had just finished up my first season as HC at Nebraska as Fulmer was fired, I'd have left Lincoln in a second (that they would pay my buyout AND quadruple my salary notwithstanding).

Get the hell over it. We hired a guy that had a countdown timer but brought a major upside and we got unlucky when USC had an opening.

Kiffin brought nothing to the Hill. Nothing. He hurt the brand; he hurt the team.

No upside, no swagger, no recruits, no clue. He's proving it again at his "dream job."

Hambone and crusse10 - standing shoulder to shoulder I know not where.

Kiffin brought nothing to the Hill. Nothing. He hurt the brand; he hurt the team.

No upside, no swagger, no recruits, no clue. He's proving it again at his "dream job."

He brought better players in than were here when he started (save Berry). And to say that he brought no swagger to the 09 season is ludicrous.

Exactly...initially we THOUGHT he brought positives but when you get a coach like Butch Jones that embraces your tradition and history then you realize how bad Kiffin really was.

if you're seriously counting Nick and BJ as NFL QB's then Crompton is every bit an NFL QB too.

honestly I don't know why I respond anymore since your relentless trolling spanning 2 different names will never change.

Except Crompton plays CFL ball and the other two play NFL ball.

I admit, I'm too hard on Crompton. He's the one former Vol I'm "meh" about.

He brought better players in than were here when he started (save Berry). And to say that he brought no swagger to the 09 season is ludicrous.

So a nine win team that won seven games with two real howlers has the swagger you like.

:thumbsup:

(Black uniforms = swagger???)

well clearly you're correct since they were all drafted the same year right?

So a nine win team that won seven games with two real howlers has the swagger you like.

it was a 5-win team based on Fulmer's performance with them. Making up numbers doesn't prove you right. It's like arguing with my 2yo except he may be smarter than you

Exactly...initially we THOUGHT he brought positives but when you get a coach like Butch Jones that embraces your tradition and history then you realize how bad Kiffin really was.

I fully appreciate what Butch is doing and I think he's killing it.

I also thought that Tennessee had become a boring place by the time Fulmer was fired. Kiffin brought a ridiculous amount of excitement and opened the door for a person like Butch.

Had Kiffin tried to put a DJ booth in the corner of an endzone for the 09 O&W game, people would have been up in arms.

Kiffin at least opened Vols fans' minds to fresh ideas instead of "that's not how we did it back in 93 when I was coach" or "that's not how we did it back in the 60s when I played".

There's not really a big difference between playing in the CFL and playing on a preseason NFL roster or being signed to a practice squad. I doubt any of the 3 will ever see real minutes in an NFL game.

Also, Nick Stephens transferred after spring practice with Dooley. Kiffin didn't run him off.

What nine wins? I hope you're not trying to suggest that with Fulmer they win nine in 09. Don't forget Dan Williams pretty muched sucked before Ed Orgeron arrived. Crompton would've still been a disaster and Fulmer probably would have forgot that Hardesty was on the team like he did in Tuscaloosa in 07. Yeah that team screamed "nine wins."

Reactions: 2 people
There's not really a big difference between playing in the CFL and playing on a preseason NFL roster or being signed to a practice squad. I doubt any of the 3 will ever see real minutes in an NFL game.

Also, Nick Stephens transferred after spring practice with Dooley. Kiffin didn't run him off.

Let's not stoop so low as to start rationalizing NFL vs CFL.

The fact is Kiffin and Dooley were probably the two worst hires in the NCAA this side of Sandusky.

The facts don't support this position.

He had Crompton and brought in Bray.
He had the Sullins brothers and brought in James.
He had Poole and brought in Brown.
He had (Todd) Campbell and brought in Hunter.

Another thing many people aren't discussing about this is that Kiffin didn't redshirt many people. We didn't have enough players to redshirt. There's a reason there are only 3 left.

How many of the senior starters on the current team were committed to Tennessee because of Kiffin? A lot.

Let's not stoop so low as to start rationalizing NFL vs CFL.

The fact is Kiffin and Dooley were probably the two worst hires in the NCAA this side of Sandusky.

I thought that Clawson was the worst hire.

I mean...HE'S the reason your idol was run out, right?

Not him.

Not the guy who missed bowls in half of his last 4 years at Tennessee.

What nine wins? I hope you're not trying to suggest that with Fulmer they win nine in 09. Don't forget Dan Williams pretty muched sucked before Ed Orgeron arrived. Crompton would've still been a disaster and Fulmer probably would have forgot that Hardesty was on the team like he did in Tuscaloosa in 07. Yeah that team screamed "nine wins."

Of course we win nine with Fulmer. It was a nine win team.

This is the new mentality that we see all the time here. If the new freshmen aren't killing it in their first camp, their busts.

Seniors matter. Crompton, Hardesty, Williams. Any pattern there?

And let's face it, Kiffin made Crompdaddy the man, had him for a whole year, and yet, we all saw the lights come on. It was two minutes left at Auburn, i.e. two minutes before the midpoint of his senior season.

Kiffin didn't make Crompton.

This is the new mentality that we see all the time here. If the new freshmen aren't killing it in their first camp, their busts.

And let's face it, Kiffin made Crompdaddy the man, had him for a whole year, and yet, we all saw the lights come on. It was two minutes left at Auburn, i.e. two minutes before the midpoint of his senior season.

At least you're consistent when you change usernames.

He took Crompton from a below average SEC QB to a fourth round draft pick. You really think Crompton gets drafted if Dave Clawson is caliing plays? And where do those nine wins come from?

VN Store

Back