Killing our kids Future...quit pretending like your side is "good"

a friend of mine (fellow Baby Boomer cusp member) was talking about how we were the worst generation - we took advantage of all the sacrifices of the previous generation and what they built and at the same time cheered on the entitlement society that rewarded us while starting the debt spiral and normalized the entitlement culture. the result is in the original thread post.

as a cynical side note, Covid may have mitigated this some by taking people who were about to put massive costs on the health care system (old Boomers)

Reactions: norrislakevol
So about half of us. Imagine if the freeloaders chipped in.

By "freeloaders," do you mean people that are making money but take advantage of tax laws to reduce their tax burden to little or nothing, or do you mean people that aren't making much money and take advantage of the tax laws to pay little or nothing?

By "freeloaders," do you mean people that are making money but take advantage of tax laws to reduce their tax burden to little or nothing, or do you mean people that aren't making much money and take advantage of the tax laws to pay little or nothing?

Perhaps he means the companies that pay their employees so little they qualify for government assistance.

Any progressive tax system is going to have those gray areas. Freeloading is both on the high and low ends. It even falls within each tax bracket.

You can make a small amount of money, pay little taxes, and benefit more than you "should". Relatively speaking.

Or you can make gobs of money, pay (relatively) little taxes, and benefit more than the rest.

It just depends on where you fall in the relative comparison. For some reason people only seem to take exception to one side of that beneficial relative comparison.

Like Churches?

Agreed... They should chip in, though it wouldn't make a dent in the federal revenue. Spending is the problem.
I wouldnt mind the tax credits only applying to those that meet a certain metric. Like 75% of funds have to go to end goal of the charity. Not sure what it would be for a church.

And yes I know this would kill most charities.

LOL

Any progressive tax system is going to have those gray areas. Freeloading is both on the high and low ends. It even falls within each tax bracket.

You can make a small amount of money, pay little taxes, and benefit more than you "should". Relatively speaking.

Or you can make gobs of money, pay (relatively) little taxes, and benefit more than the rest.

It just depends on where you fall in the relative comparison. For some reason people only seem to take exception to one side of that beneficial relative comparison.

If you have money and find a way to get the government to give you more, you're smart.

If you're poor and find a way to get the government to give you a little bit more, you're a leech

I wouldnt mind the tax credits only applying to those that meet a certain metric. Like 75% of funds have to go to end goal of the charity. Not sure what it would be for a church.

And yes I know this would kill most charities.

I'd be OK with that given that the metric was actually adhered to. It's not JUST churches that skirt taxes by being a 501, most people aren't aware that a paltry 13% of donations for Susan G Komen are SPLIT between research, screening and treatment.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
If you have money and find a way to get the government to give you more, you're smart.

If you're poor and find a way to get the government to give you a little bit more, you're a leech
If you have a vote and you vote for politicians who set themselves up with the ability to give government money away, you're oblivious.

If you have money and use existing laws to pay less you are smart.

If you have little money and get thousands of dollars for making bad life choices, having kids you can’t afford, work as little as possible if at all, and contribute nothing to society you are a leech.

I agree. I would rather the government not give money to anyone and just let people keep more of their own money.

Reactions: Vol737 and McDad

VN Store

Back