Kim Potter sentenced.

I've told my sons to avoid doing things that put one in a bad situation. Don't rob banks, don't walk through a bad part of town after midnight with a roll of $100 bills in your hand, don't drink and drive, don't beat up on women, etc, etc, etc. Instead, do things to avoid interaction with law enforcement, like keeping your tag and driver's license current, etc, etc, etc.

The reason why is because the more times one puts oneself in a bad situation, the higher the probability to eventually have a bad outcome. In the George Floyd case, ole' Saint George spent his entire life making bad decisions until finally he put himself into a situation where someone else made a bad decision: he died and the other guy is in prison.

Daunte put himself in a bad situation, an accident happened and he won a Darwin award. I do not believe Potter had any intention of using deadly force in this case; she made a horrible mistake. Highly probable he's not there if he had not made a series of bad decisions leading up to the event. Hate it. Do not for one instance believe he deserved to die. But people die all the time from making stupid decisions. Stop making stupid decisions.
I agree to an extent. But at the same time the police need to be held accountable for accidentally murdering people.

I agree to an extent. But at the same time the police need to be held accountable for accidentally murdering people.
Is anyone arguing different?

Regarding interactions, it seems to me a lot of that is the community. The things people will call the cops over is unreal. I saw a Nextdoor post where someone was annoyed about where a neighbor parked his boat on the side of the street. Instead of trying to actually talk to the guy she was asking if she should call the cops. Why? Why create a useless police interaction over such trivial ********? Maybe she calls the cops and maybe the guy just got laid off or his old lady left him and this is one more thing that sets him off. Or maybe the cop has already had a shift full of idiots and the guy gets smart with him and things escalate? No one seems to know their neighbors and a lot of people seem to think cops need to be the intermediaries for simple adult interactions. Law of large numbers says the more you involve the cops the greater the chance for a shooting right or wrong.

Is anyone arguing different?

Regarding interactions, it seems to me a lot of that is the community. The things people will call the cops over is unreal. I saw a Nextdoor post where someone was annoyed about where a neighbor parked his boat on the side of the street. Instead of trying to actually talk to the guy she was asking if she should call the cops. Why? Why create a useless police interaction over such trivial ********? Maybe she calls the cops and maybe the guy just got laid off or his old lady left him and this is one more thing that sets him off. Or maybe the cop has already had a shift full of idiots and the guy gets smart with him and things escalate? No one seems to know their neighbors and a lot of people seem to think cops need to be the intermediaries for simple adult interactions. Law of large numbers says the more you involve the cops the greater the chance for a shooting right or wrong.
Everything you are saying here is exactly what I have been saying. A lot of the blame for these police interactions falls on us for getting police involved in the most minor and ridiculous situations.

Only happens about once annually. Given the millions of police interactions, that's zero.
Better citizen training to not act feral when officers pull you.
I can’t write a bigger THANK YOU for this post. Police officers are trained para military and not many can say that’s not adequate. Mistakes are made in every single profession. Cops mistakes are simply made public.

I can’t write a bigger THANK YOU for this post. Police officers are trained para military and not many can say that’s not adequate. Mistakes are made in every single profession. Cops mistakes are simply made public.
True. But very rarely does a mistake by normal people jeopardize someone's freedom or life.

True. But very rarely does a mistake by normal people jeopardize someone's freedom or life.
Very rarely do those professions center around someone’s freedom or life. She made a mistake, it cost her her job and now she’s doing time. Compare it to someone that doesn’t use safety protocol on an assembly line. They push the button before someone is clear of the machine and it kills someone unattended. THAT guy goes home. A cop does not. He goes to prison first.

Tough situation, all around. Daunte Wright should not have resisted as he did, but it did not warrant deadly force. The officer made a huge mistake in a sudden situation, a mistake she should not have made and one that she immediately regretted. Just a sad thing in every respect.

I don't see that this is a training issue. She just choked under pressure. Fatal mistakes should cost her her career and some jailtime

The judge starts crying because she feels bad for the defendant. Not the victim who, ya know, died. The lady that pulled the trigger gets all her sympathy. Can't make this stuff up.
Maybe because she understand a tragic mistake although wrong isn’t the same as a POS criminal who started the issues to begin with

Reactions: AM64
Maybe because she understand a tragic mistake although wrong isn’t the same as a POS criminal who started the issues to begin with
She killed someone through absolute incompetence and you're still shaming the victim?

Reactions: Septic
She killed someone through absolute incompetence and you're still shaming the victim?

Come on. 26 years of, by all accounts, exemplary service and she is absolutely incompetent? But he has a list of transgressions and screwups for the last however long to put himself where something like this happens, but she is incompetent? Mr. Victim tries to drive off while being arrested, gets shot and she is incompetent?

You have high standards. Kudos to you if you’re living up to them.

Last edited:
Incompetent? She went through the same training as every other police officer in the country to get where she did. People make mistakes in high stress situations and had the victim not made it a high stress situation, he’d still be here today. Don’t sit here and act like you’re perfect and never made a mistake just to shame someone based on their profession. At least she was brave enough to be there and wear the badge trying to protect a public that so obviously doesn’t appreciate.

I've told my sons to avoid doing things that put one in a bad situation. Don't rob banks, don't walk through a bad part of town after midnight with a roll of $100 bills in your hand, don't drink and drive, don't beat up on women, etc, etc, etc. Instead, do things to avoid interaction with law enforcement, like keeping your tag and driver's license current, etc, etc, etc.

The reason why is because the more times one puts oneself in a bad situation, the higher the probability to eventually have a bad outcome. In the George Floyd case, ole' Saint George spent his entire life making bad decisions until finally he put himself into a situation where someone else made a bad decision: he died and the other guy is in prison.

Daunte put himself in a bad situation, an accident happened and he won a Darwin award. I do not believe Potter had any intention of using deadly force in this case; she made a horrible mistake. Highly probable he's not there if he had not made a series of bad decisions leading up to the event. Hate it. Do not for one instance believe he deserved to die. But people die all the time from making stupid decisions. Stop making stupid decisions.

Yeah, it seems the board's libs love to forget about his roll. If he just stops and doesn't argue, he's alive. He didn't have an arrest warrant he's be alive. Why libs love to defend who do bad stuff?

Come on. 26 years of, by all accounts, exemplary service and she is absolutely incompetent? But he has a list of transgressions and screwups for the last however long to put himself where something like this happens, but she is incompetent? Mr. Victim tries to drive off while being arrested, gets shot and she is incompetent?

You have high standards. Kudos to you if you’re living up to them.

Yeah, he's being dumb

Incompetent? She went through the same training as every other police officer in the country to get where she did. People make mistakes in high stress situations and had the victim not made it a high stress situation, he’d still be here today. Don’t sit here and act like you’re perfect and never made a mistake just to shame someone based on their profession. At least she was brave enough to be there and wear the badge trying to protect a public that so obviously doesn’t appreciate.
My mistakes have never killed anyone. It's not about being perfect it's about not executing a person through gross incompetence. Maybe she should have been writing parking tickets if she can't deal with it

VN Store

Back