Knecht

Knecht and Gainey are outstanding additions. This team has a lot of combinations they can throw at teams. Kesling said that it looked like they just wore Wisconsin down.
Barnes will be the key to this season.... He has the pieces... Love the more faster pace... His assistants keeping him from going to original Barnes ball will be huge

I think this is the deepest team since the 2019 team but with better offensive firepower. Knecht looks like a potential player of the year candidate. Tough OOC schedule but this team is built to win a title.
My heart is not ready to rank anyone above Grant and the '19 team, but this squad is off to a good start

My heart is not ready to rank anyone above Grant and the '19 team, but this squad is off to a good start
Knecht is absolutely going to have to show it consistently throughout the year to surpass Grant Williams in my mind, but he has some serious tools. If we start handing out beat downs like that '19 team, then I'll really start believing. But right now, the sky is the limit.

While I do agree that without JPP, we don't make that EE, I also believe that he was overrated by our fanbase for his entire career. Still, with our sketchy history of transfers, he'd have to be up there on the list.

Though Bobby Maze played as a freshman at Oklahoma, he went JUCO before signing with Tennessee. Not sure if you were just mentioning his inclusion on that Tennessee team in a general sense, or insinuating that he belonged in the transfer discussion.

Scooter McFadgon is another who made a huge impact statistically, but is often forgotten about because it goes back 20 years. Averaged 16 pts, 4 rebs, 2 assts across two seasons at Tennessee for a couple of below average Buzz Peterson squads, so his brief tenure was pretty forgettable.
Of course I remember Scooter, but that team was terrible. JP Prince and Bobby Maze are more than just "up there". Until Knecht, easily our most impactful transfers

I'm sure it will improve, but through 4 games his 3 point shooting has been average at best.........33% twice, 20% and 25% respectively.

He will see tougher defense moving forward. Not impressed with Wisconsin on that end of the floor. But he is the real deal and is gonna open the floor for everybody else around him.

I'm sure it will improve, but through 4 games his 3 point shooting has been average at best.........33% twice, 20% and 25% respectively.

He scored 24 points and got to the bucket at will. I don’t care if he shoots poorly from 3 if he can do that. Regardless, those numbers will improve.

He will see tougher defense moving forward. Not impressed with Wisconsin on that end of the floor. But he is the real deal and is gonna open the floor for everybody else around him.

Before last night, Wisconsin was a Top 20 KenPom team and Top 25 def. They are 23 and 31 in those two categories now. You’re just wrong. That’s a good defense.

He scored 24 points and got to the bucket at will. I don’t care if he shoots poorly from 3 if he can do that. Regardless, those numbers will improve.

Before last night, Wisconsin was a Top 20 KenPom team and Top 25 def. They are 23 and 31 in those two categories now. You’re just wrong. That’s a good defense.
Are those stats from just two game? Knecht is gonna see very long and very athletic defenders moving forward.

Are those stats from just two game? Knecht is gonna see very long and very athletic defenders moving forward.
Is he skipping the rest of the season and jumping straight into the NBA? Who are these 6’-6”+ very athletic defenders on our schedule?

We’re playing small ball spacing the floor with strong ball rotation, running guys off lots of picks. We have 5 quality 3ball Shooters in the rotation to combat teams packing it in on defense. Storr was an explosive 6’-7” athlete and Knecht got his shots last night. Lot’s of reasons for the optimism on this board.

If anyone thinks Knecht is a not a baller and can’t score from anywhere either has not watched, doesn’t know basketball, or hates UT and hopes for their failure. His offensive game is as good as it gets. Hate on him, you’re just showing your lack of basketball knowledge or UT bias. He’s the real deal.

It's a short sample size, but he's the type we've always faced that might not be having a scorching night but you look at the stats and he has 24 points. Keeps everything in front of him. Doesn't jump over anybody but makes that one play that prevents a comeback from the other side. Always saw that type in Grant Williams but I would consider Knecht a better pure shooter. Keep seeing the grand comparison being Admiral, but I disagree. Schofield was more athletic and explosive but also easier to neutralize if other players weren't having the best game. As it stands, Knecht and Gainey are a lethal combo we simply haven't had available in the Barnes era imo. Add the post tag team of Aidoo/Awaka, the veteran leadership of Vescovi and James and the steady hand and energy of Zakai with the young potential fighting for roles? Future could be fun.

Is he skipping the rest of the season and jumping straight into the NBA? Who are these 6’-6”+ very athletic defenders on our schedule?

We’re playing small ball spacing the floor with strong ball rotation, running guys off lots of picks. We have 5 quality 3ball Shooters in the rotation to combat teams packing it in on defense. Storr was an explosive 6’-7” athlete and Knecht got his shots last night. Lot’s of reasons for the optimism on this board.
He is gonna see game planning completely designed to stop him. He is a hard guard because guys are either too small or not athletic enough. Wisconsin didn't have anyone to even get in his way most of the game.

If you are talking about KenPom stats, it’s based on last year’s performance, returning guys, new guys, mixture of a few other things, but it’s usually a pretty accurate indicator of how good a team is.

I’m not worried about Knecht’s perimeter shooting. It’s early in the season, he just needs reps. Lots of teams are struggling from the perimeter right now. Watched a lot of basketball last night and most teams couldn’t throw it in the ocean behind the arc.

If you are talking about KenPom stats, it’s based on last year’s performance, returning guys, new guys, mixture of a few other things, but it’s usually a pretty accurate indicator of how good a team is.

I’m not worried about Knecht’s perimeter shooting. It’s early in the season, he just needs reps. Lots of teams are struggling from the perimeter right now. Watched a lot of basketball last night and most teams couldn’t throw it in the ocean behind the arc.
That's why I asked. I wasn't sure how they did that two games in. It's too small of a sample size to even attempt to rank these teams now. Knecht is gonna get his and open the floor for everybody else.

Yeah, Santiago is 0-5 from three.

There's a reason we got drives to the basket all game: Wisconsin defensively was focused on avoiding open 3s (yes I know we only shot 29% from 3, but few were wide open). We spread the floor. If other teams want to pack the paint to prevent drives I'm good with us shooting open 3s.

Knecht got his drives despite whoever was guarding. Small guy? Took him to the post. A big? Stretch him to the perimeter. When when one of their fast athletic guards (Storr or hepburn) was in him, Knecht still got where he wanted. Please note it wasn't simply blow by speed -- he picks the right angles and is big and strong enough to drive with a defender on his hip. And then there was his NBA-esque stuff of getting to his spot for a jump shot

Teams will have to plan for him, and he won't score 20+ each game, but no one is neutralizing him and a Knecht defensive game plan will create gaping holes for our other guys

He is gonna see game planning completely designed to stop him. He is a hard guard because guys are either too small or not athletic enough. Wisconsin didn't have anyone to even get in his way most of the game.

Okay, well, guess what? If teams focus their entire attention on him we have a wealth of other options that can score the ball now.

Also, you keep mentioning that Knecht is going to be shut down moving forward because we’ll face longer and more athletic teams. Who? Tell me. Wisconsin is a team with size. AJ Store is a 6’ 7” athletic guard. How many teams are going to have someone bigger and more athletic than that? And then when Knecht tried attacking the rim he had to get past 7’0” Crowl and a few other 6’9” guys.

I cannot imagine there are many teams we face this year that will have that type of size and strength. Probably not many. So I’m not sure why you’re so concerned.

Yeah, Santiago is 0-5 from three.

Vandy was 1-10 in the first half from three. Michigan State has shot 9% (I think) from 3 as a TEAM through 2 games. Just like how offense is hard to come by early in the season for baseball, perimeter shooting for all teams will improve as more games are played and more reps are taken.

I won’t be worried about our perimeter shooting unless we get to SEC play and we continue to struggle.

VN Store

Back