Knoxville Weather Radar

I know it sounds stupid (and my wife has told me a million times today that I sound like an idiot saying this) but our uniforms look like complete **** on TV when it rains.

We either look like Texas or Traffic cops depending on the broadcast.

Damn storms...

Honestly I agree. I think they pop when it's dry. They seem much brighter.

Reactions: 2 people
I know it sounds stupid (and my wife has told me a million times today that I sound like an idiot saying this) but our uniforms look like complete **** on TV when it rains.

We either look like Texas or Traffic cops depending on the broadcast.

Damn storms...

I agree with your wife

Reactions: 4 people
Truth. Then again, Adidias NEVER HAS matched our oranges from helmet to toe correctly. Now would be the moment for the smoky greys with a new matte grey helmet to match.

Once you start looking at the color of orange around the game day experience it will drive you crazy. For example, all of the different orange inside Neyland stadium is all over the map. :crazy:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
For what its worth guys...I'm in AL near the state line, and the system is strong but moves through fast. Lots of heavy rain and storms, but gone in 15-20 minutes. I have been watching NOAA radar at the isolated cell(s) all day. At most, it will move through quickly once it hits. Game on.

Here in Soddy Daisy (Just NE of Chattanooga) 20-30 minutes ago the bottom fell out of the sky with a sh#@ pot load of lightning, but; like GrowVol said, it lasted all of 20 mins at the max and is gone.

The from edge of the storm is hitting here in Greenback now and the stadium is about 25-30 miles away so I don't know how the translates to how long before the storm reaches the stadium. Expert anyone?

The from edge of the storm is hitting here in Greenback now and the stadium is about 25-30 miles away so I don't know how the translates to how long before the storm reaches the stadium. Expert anyone?

If I'm a betting man I think it starts clearing at kickoff. It's close and moving fast.

Hope I'm right.

This line of rain and storms coming off of the plateau is moving with a mainly easterly component. Lightning is decreasing with it, so hopefully that weakening will continue and just be moderate showers when it arrives in Knoxville around 6pm, could be some remaining lightning though. Also, one of the models that we use (HRRR: NWS, local news, etc. all use it) initiated well with the current rain and storms moving toward Knoxville. It shows light to moderate rain around Knoxville near kickoff with some patchy light rain/mist hanging around in some locations. Regardless, the 2nd half should be drier than the first and lightning looks like a low probability after the game starts.

Thanks a lot! This is what VN needs. We need a VN meteorologist!

Reactions: 4 people
I'm going to college next year to get my degree in meteorology. :hi:

Hope you enjoy it! I've been a weather enthusiast since when I was a young kid. Finished my B.S. in 2013 and halfway done with my M.S. now. The good thing about being a meteorologist is that the weather is always changing and is really never dull. It's a new challenge each day.

Hope you enjoy it! I've been a weather enthusiast since when I was a young kid. Finished my B.S. in 2013 and halfway done with my M.S. now. The good thing about being a meteorologist is that the weather is always changing and is really never dull. It's a new challenge each day.

Lol, so have i. My family always called me the weatherman when i was a little kid. I'd tell my uncle the weather and he'd give me a quarter each time. I also like the fact that the weather changes.

edit: This fall, I'm going to be a voluntary storm spotter for the NWS.

Looking at the radar its a pretty thin and fast moving line. Should not cause a big problem. Go Vols!

Reactions: 1 person
Lol, so have i. My family always called me the weatherman when i was a little kid. I'd tell my uncle the weather and he'd give me a quarter each time. I also like the fact that the weather changes.

edit: This fall, I'm going to be a voluntary storm spotter for the NWS.

That's a great way to get into it more. The NWS guys are really nice. You may want to check out the AMS Smoky Mountain Chapter that usually meets over at UT every couple of months. Sometimes we'll meet up at the NWS office in Morristown as well.

Definitely study up on your math well! That's one of the most difficult aspects of any meteorology program as it's comparable to any engineering program.

VN Store

Back