Kristi Noem (R) Gov. S. Dak

If the dog was killing their chickens I bet they would have.

Yep. And especially if it killed a neighbor's livestock. Old Jack would have been a goner.

We had new neighbors move in who let their big dogs run loose. They twice got into our other neighbors' coop and killed all their chickens. During the same brief time, we had two cats disappear (had lived here for years before they arrived). We caught the two dogs in our driveway standing over a third cat, whose neck they had broken. Went and confronted the neighbor, who talked baby talk to the dogs. Told him to keep the dogs off our property (at the time, we didn't know about the chickens). The dogs came into our property again, ran right by me, and chased another cat up a tree. If I had my gun handy, I would have put them down without hesitation.

We found out later that the other neighbor told the owner that he was going to shoot the dogs if they came into his property again. They also chased another neighbor's horses and calves, and he also threatened to shoot them. Since then, they have kept them up and only let them out on a leash.

The irony is that we had actually saved their dogs before the killings started. Before they moved in, they had tied the dogs on the porch during the day to discourage trespassers. Twice they got loose and were in the road, and we caught them and took them back to the house. If we had only known then....

Last edited:
It's not such a bad thing to have chickens, and an array of wild species living on your property. Of course they're not pets, but a vibrant rat snake living on the property can be a good thing. Rats and and snakes DO NOT co-habitate
Hmm, what kind of snakes eat groundhogs?

Noem was stupid for putting this in her book, unless she knew it was going to come out with someone else telling it. The goat story was fine. People dont really like goats.

Farm people understand putting an animal down. Fewer people these days have any real contact with animals outside their pets.

People like dogs though - much better than they do politicians.

Noem was stupid for putting this in her book, unless she knew it was going to come out with someone else telling it. The goat story was fine. People dont really like goats.

Farm people understand putting an animal down. Fewer people these days have any real contact with animals outside their pets.

I grew up in about as rural of a part of Tennessee as you can get, and I don't recall anyone ever putting down a 14 month old hunting dog because they were too lazy to train it, or were they wholly surprised that an untrained hunting dog would kill chickens if not properly secured in your vehicle and taken to a place where chickens roam unhindered.

If anything it just highlights the fact that she's a moron, on multiple levels.

Last edited:

I think your first sentence is correct. This is her "narrative" which may or may not be true....

I think your first sentence is correct. This is her "narrative" which may or may not be true....
I think it also speaks generally to her general attitude. To me it speaks of a lifestyle where she has gotten away with things and consequences aren't very real.

people who actually hunt as more than just a photo shoot know those dogs are an investment. and if an 18 month old dog isn't ready, they keep it in training. they don't force the issue.

IMO she 100% created the situation where there was no good outcome.

VN Store

Back