Lab-Grown Meat Coming to a Restaurant near you THIS YEAR and is due to Hit Grocery Stores by 2028

With Beyond and Impossible, you heard marketing hype because those are marketable products right now. This is not even close to being ready for market and I feel like they are so far from being comparable to lab-grown meat that you might as well be comparing it to the new Velma show being overhyped (and disappointing). It's not a meat substitute. It is meat.

IDK. When I hear someone talk about lab-grown meat, 90% of what I hear in return is pushback, so I don't look at it as overhyped at all.

It's not marketing hype from the companies I'm referring to - it was the media and financial world hyping it as the new way; as a fundamental change in consumption. I hear the same type commentary about lab-grown meat. You engaged in some of it earlier in the thread discussing no longer slaughtering billions of animals and repurposing mass amounts of grazing land. Forgive me if I haven't bought into this prediction.

I'm not comparing meat to non-meat; I'm comparing the introduction of a new food product that was predicted to bring major change to another introduction of a new food product that is predicted to bring major change. Totally comparable

IDK when it will be a better product than our "natural" meat industry, but it will be someday. Imagine not needing a billion cows for slaughter. The land they live on can be repurposed. No more inhumane livestock conditions. The quality will be more controlled and eventually it will be cheaper.

Lol, no it will not.

I'm from Kentucky, we eat'em raw

maxresdefault.jpg

I always liked Funny Farm.

Reactions: joevol33
This is the future of protein-based food production. Ironically, they have lean muscle creation down to a science but struggle with fat creation.

Once at scale, it will make protein much more affordable and reduce food borne illness from proteins to practically zero. Interestingly, it will also increase the total market size of protein consumption by folding in vegans/vegetarians who currently object to animal protein consumption for moral or environmental reasons.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
I’m curious about the gmo seeds being altered so they can not be used for stock seed. So I went to look at the Monsanto conglomerate in white pigeon Michigan where I lived for 14 years beginning in 1999. They had several testing fields marked with Monsanto signs and which type of hybrid it was. I knew farmers in the area and one pointed out that you didn’t want your field within a mile of theirs due to cross hybrid pollination.
At the time it didn’t occur to me that this could eventually take out all naturally grown corn from corn seed stock. In effect forcing farmers to only buy hybrid seed. Is this the case? Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
This is the future of protein-based food production. Ironically, they have lean muscle creation down to a science but struggle with fat creation.

Once at scale, it will make protein much more affordable and reduce food borne illness from proteins to practically zero. Interestingly, it will also increase the total market size of protein consumption by folding in vegans/vegetarians who currently object to animal protein consumption for moral or environmental reasons.

So when you say this is the future - what time frame are you imagining? 5 years? 10? 20? 50? longer?

Years ago I worked out Outback Steakhouse. We had a regular who would come in several times per week to sit at the bar with a friend and have dinner. Every single time she came in I had to listen to the virtues of being vegan and how being a vegan made her a better person etc. She'd also complain about the lack of vegan options on our menu. (It's kind of in the name) And then she'd settle on a Bloomin' Onion.

The other bartender always handled her, but one night when she was gone... Vegan Good Person comes in and launches into her usual diatribe. About halfway through I had had enough and blurted out, "You know the Bloomin' Onion is cooked in lard, right?" The look on her face was priceless and I never saw her again.

Years ago I worked out Outback Steakhouse. We had a regular who would come in several times per week to sit at the bar with a friend and have dinner. Every single time she came in I had to listen to the virtues of being vegan and how being a vegan made her a better person etc. She'd also complain about the lack of vegan options on our menu. (It's kind of in the name) And then she'd settle on a Bloomin' Onion.

The other bartender always handled her, but one night when she was gone... Vegan Good Person comes in and launches into her usual diatribe. About halfway through I had had enough and blurted out, "You know the Bloomin' Onion is cooked in lard, right?" The look on her face was priceless and I never saw her again.

I would almost bet that a bloomin onion has over 2000 calories.

VN Store

Back