Last UT QB who stared down his WRs through the whole route??

Numerous underwhelming Auburn teams beat Bama under Saban. It’s a high variance game. Ever QB misses deep ball. Every lineman misses blocks. Every WR drops balls. Sometimes you hit the low end of all those statistical probabilities in one night
Except we just watched the Arkansas game and the second half of Oklahoma. This wasn’t a one off against a bad Florida team. There’s reason to be very concerned. Bama and Georgia are very unlikely which takes us out of the playoffs. Vandy and Kentucky aren’t guarantees with this anemic offense. I’d predict 8-4 which is not really acceptable in year 4. He won’t make any changes to the coaching staff bc he never does. So more of the same next year and beyond. This looks to be a 9-3 or 8-4 program under Heupel. 2022 was an anomaly due to Hooker, Golesh, Tillman, Hyatt, etc.

After the first 3 games, some expect the offense to repeat those numbers against SEC athletes. If UT doesn’t score 40 plus, it’s a failure to them.
It’s short sighted to expect a freshman quarterback not to struggle. It’s also a little silly to see the guy play great and then think he can’t improve and step up when he’s gets used to the speed of elite defenses.

Reactions: Hunter10139
Y'all remember last year when over half the fans wanted him to start??? Not me, knew he wasn't ready last year, still got a ways to go.
Ya….but there are signs…..reason to be optimistic about this guy. But you’re correct, he needs to improve. Here’s to hoping that switch goes off sooner rather than later.

I remember the Georgia game, that we lost, when the switch flipped for Crompton.

Too many people are giving the freshman pass. The guy was here as an early enrollee to begin with getting extra practices due to us being in a bowl game that season. Then he spent an entire year in our system. Then he spent an entire extended offseason again of practice due to another bowl game. Now he has been here again for this season! The guy has a ton to work with and he still doesn’t look good at all against anyone not named Chattanooga or Kent state. Oh but Iowa. Yeah, the slow ass team that wins in a conference where speed doesn’t matter? The team you brag on him for playing against with even less experience than he has now. He just isn’t showing us anything that says he has it. There are plenty of true freshman, not even rs freshman that light sec teams up and instantly you know they are going to be an issue. Nico has not shown that. He scrambles into bad lanes akwardly, forced picks, overthrows open receivers. We are overpaying. Period.
We? How much have you paid? CJH is paid well to identify and recruit talent. Nico is a freshman, starting his first year. I could see if this was year 5. Unclutch your pearls.

Except we just watched the Arkansas game and the second half of Oklahoma. This wasn’t a one off against a bad Florida team. There’s reason to be very concerned. Bama and Georgia are very unlikely which takes us out of the playoffs. Vandy and Kentucky aren’t guarantees with this anemic offense. I’d predict 8-4 which is not really acceptable in year 4. He won’t make any changes to the coaching staff bc he never does. So more of the same next year and beyond. This looks to be a 9-3 or 8-4 program under Heupel. 2022 was an anomaly due to Hooker, Golesh, Tillman, Hyatt, etc.

Bama and Georgia have had more than just a “one off” as well. Not sure you’re watching anyone else play

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Not sure how he goes from Citrus Bowl MVP to the circumstances he finds himself consumed with today,

I'm not sure how competitive the San Gabriel Valley league was where he played high school football, it wasn't Mater Dei where Bru McCoy honed his skills or St. John Bosco, nor one of those 6A programs in Texas, Florida or Georgia, such that it may be an ongoing work in progress to see if he can manage the speed of the game and the defenders he is facing, he certainly has the characteristics of one of the great ones, but so did Joe Milton, Jonathan Crompton, Eric Ainge, etc.

Reactions: Native Orange
Bama and Georgia have had more than just a “one off” as well. Not sure you’re watching anyone else play
I have watched them. UGA is off the table. We’re not a good road team, and I don’t see us going into Athens and even keeping that a single digit game. Bama could happen but we’ve got to play significantly better on offense. I’d give us a 10% chance to win one of those games.

Stop. You said Nico is 6-1? No he most certainly is not. The QB starting record is the most ridiculous “stat” there is. You cannot sit there and think that we are winning games because of Nico. Because we aren’t. Its our defense that’s winning games.

You compare a true freshman Peyton Manning, who was playing in Fulmers offense, to RS FR Nico playing in the lost QB friendly offense there is? Give me a break. Nico is not a good QB.

But if they had lost, you certainly would have put it in his loss column.

Nico looks like an amateur at best. I hate to say it but he does. Are we talking Gaurtermo? Compton? It’s been a while since we’ve had a QB literally lock eyes with every guy he’s gonna throw it to this consistently.

He’s got a chance to be really good come his senior year, but it ain’t as guaranteed as people think it. Dude plays like a 7on7 qb

EDIT: Please stop calling him a freshman quarterback! Dude was here all last year. UF however did have a true freshman QB that gave us the business and prolly didn’t cost 8 mil
Who tf are Guartermo & Compton ?

Nico looks like an amateur at best. I hate to say it but he does. Are we talking Gaurtermo? Compton? It’s been a while since we’ve had a QB literally lock eyes with every guy he’s gonna throw it to this consistently.

He’s got a chance to be really good come his senior year, but it ain’t as guaranteed as people think it. Dude plays like a 7on7 qb

EDIT: Please stop calling him a freshman quarterback! Dude was here all last year. UF however did have a true freshman QB that gave us the business and prolly didn’t cost 8 mil
Every QB does it at times. I’ve seen Tom Brady do it. Peyton.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga

That Freshman UF quarterback made a horrible decision and throw that resulted in an INT that gave us a very short field and a ton of momentum. Seems like something you would want to bench him for if he played for UT.

Nico is a freshman. He has started 7 games, I believe. I like his upside and it not Nico's fault that the Vol fanbase and the whole nation coined him the second coming of the greatest QB in all of the history of the sport. He has settled back down to earth, has a lot of growing up and learning to do. I am confident he will, as he is a super talented athlete and very mature.

Hate may be the most accurate word your post contains. Nico IS an amateur. Some of you Vols player haters really should root for another team. I don't think you belong here.

While I won’t join the crowd complaining about Nico’s recent play, he is NOT an amateur. He is being paid, and that, by definition, makes him a professional. If a young man wants to play a key position at a big time program, and get well paid to do it, he has to live with the good and the bad. Four weeks ago he was getting the accolades and deserved them. Now he’s getting a lot of negative reviews, and that’s fair.

Is winning by 1pt not enough anymore? Nico is 19 yrs old and trying to be a star QB at UT ranked in the top 10 and all some of you can do is bash him! WTH. If he’s losing then I’ll be all over him but he’s not. He’s 6-1 as a starter now. Let’s not forget that!
Nico is 20

He.is.a.first.year.starter.

I do think the game has sped up on Nico due to poor OL play. You can see him pressing. Does not matter how long you have practiced, being in a live fire environment is a different ballgame.

VN Store

Back