Last UT QB who stared down his WRs through the whole route??

He started the season out good but has regressed bad . Ball handling is sub par also. But he has speed on the run and can hit wrs in stride sometimes so maybe he just has some crazy clock problems in his head . Maybe he gets their this year. Go Vols

Last edited:
It’s short sighted to expect a freshman quarterback not to struggle. It’s also a little silly to see the guy play great and then think he can’t improve and step up when he’s gets used to the speed of elite defenses.
He’s not a freshman - he’s 20 years old and has been at UT for 22 months being groomed to be our starting quarterback.

Too many people are giving the freshman pass. The guy was here as an early enrollee to begin with getting extra practices due to us being in a bowl game that season. Then he spent an entire year in our system. Then he spent an entire extended offseason again of practice due to another bowl game. Now he has been here again for this season! The guy has a ton to work with and he still doesn’t look good at all against anyone not named Chattanooga or Kent state. Oh but Iowa. Yeah, the slow ass team that wins in a conference where speed doesn’t matter? The team you brag on him for playing against with even less experience than he has now. He just isn’t showing us anything that says he has it. There are plenty of true freshman, not even rs freshman that light sec teams up and instantly you know they are going to be an issue. Nico has not shown that. He scrambles into bad lanes akwardly, forced picks, overthrows open receivers. We are overpaying. Period.
We play in the SEC. The SEC has long been a conference analysts and others termed as cannibalistic. It's practically warfare each weekend. Like newly deployed soldiers, players may start off as all gung ho, brave glory seekers, and such. But here is the reality, and You Volgod makers either overlook by choice or otherwise. Army psychiatry applies to players too, especially QBs. Now like soldiers, there are individual exceptions, due to myriad reasons. But on average, the army is right in what they say.

Combat stress reaction is an acute reaction that includes a range of behaviors resulting from the stress of battle that decrease the combatant's fighting efficiency. The most common symptoms are fatigue, slower reaction times, indecision, disconnection from one's surroundings, and the inability to prioritize.

When he can setup and go through his progressions, he’s as good as anyone in CFB.

But he’s pressing now, and throwing into double coverage—just making poor decisions. I do think the O-line shares a large portion of the blame.
That interception there were 4 UF players within arm wing spread length to Bru, I'm convinced he decided before that throw that he's got to get Bru in the mix and pre-determined where he was going..

While I won’t join the crowd complaining about Nico’s recent play, he is NOT an amateur. He is being paid, and that, by definition, makes him a professional. If a young man wants to play a key position at a big time program, and get well paid to do it, he has to live with the good and the bad. Four weeks ago he was getting the accolades and deserved them. Now he’s getting a lot of negative reviews, and that’s fair.
Being paid doesn't make you an expert. Experience does that. Truck drivers are paid, too. They're trained, certified, licensed, and what have you. and yet, inexperienced ones make bonehead errors, some that costs a company hundreds of thousands, if not a few million bucks. It's not the money that makes you an expert instead of an amateur, it's the experience. This is Nico's first experience as starter in the SEC. He's an amateur.

Being paid doesn't make you an expert. Experience does that. Truck drivers are paid, too. They're trained, certified, licensed, and what have you. and yet, inexperienced ones make bonehead errors, some that costs a company hundreds of thousands, if not a few million bucks. It's not the money that makes you an expert instead of an amateur, it's the experience. This is Nico's first experience as starter in the SEC. He's an amateur.
Remember Bryce Young? Yeah he was a RS FR at one time as well. And he looked light years better than Nico has.

For the knuckleheads that always want the backup because the starter is terrible, check this out.
Nico Iamaleave is a redshirt FRESHMAN, starting his SEVENTH game. Here are his stats.
He is 6-1, NOT 1-6
1533 yards at a 65% completion rate
He has 9 tds and 3 ints.

Here the stats from another UT QB during their freshman year.

8-4
1141 yards at a 62% completion rate
11 tds and 6 ints.
You would cry " BENCH HIM, HE IS CLUELESS"!
Peyton might disagreeFor the knuckleheads that always want the backup because the starter is terrible, check this out.
Nico Iamaleave is a redshirt FRESHMAN, starting his SEVENTH game. Here are his stats.
He is 6-1, NOT 1-6
1533 yards at a 65% completion rate
He has 9 tds and 3 ints.

Here the stats from another UT QB during their freshman year.

8-4
1141 yards at a 62% completion rate
11 tds and 6 ints.
You would cry " BENCH HIM, HE IS CLUELESS"!
Peyton might disagree..

BTW, you are correct he is a REDSHIRT FRESHMAN. Exactly how many meaningful snaps did he have last year. Pull your head back into fresh air for a bit and think using facts for a change.
Peyton was a true freshman and went 6-1 (lost to Bama who went 12-1 and finished ranked #5) as the starter. They lost 3 games he barely played in early that year. Also, he split time with Branndon Stewart in many of the games he started (which would affect his numbers and continuity) who many Vol fans did clamor for being the starter over Peyton. Apples and oranges (pound the rock offense) and wanting the backup to play is as old as football….

Last edited:
Reactions: Voljayton
It’s short sighted to expect a freshman quarterback not to struggle. It’s also a little silly to see the guy play great and then think he can’t improve and step up when he’s gets used to the speed of elite defenses.
If it's short-sighted, Heupel is the guilty person here. He's put UT in this position by not having an SEC ready QB.

I'll agree Nico is going to struggle and obviously is struggling against SEC competition. He's not the only member of our team who looked great against Kent State and iffy against anyone with a pulse.

Trying to put this all on Nico is missing the next link up in the chain. Who is responsible for Heard's apparently lousy effort? Who is responsible for the anemic play calls? Who is responsible for the VERY iffy clock management and game management?

This isn't primarily a Nico problem.

He had a beautiful TD pass. Something Nico couldn’t do.

Lagway didn’t play 1/2 a game? In his limited playing time he made several throws that were better than anything Nico produced.
I must be the only one that was not impressed with Lagway. I thought both of them looked young and inexperienced and the moment was too big for both of them.....

100%. These guys must only watch UT football and no one else. How many times have we seen Georgia (even when they won national championships) win a close one against a really bad team? Or look at Georgia and Bama this week alone.
I know the transitive property doesn’t work, but a 6 point home win against Florida isn’t any less impressive than a two-point home win over Cackalacky or a ten-point home win over an ABYSMAL Miss State team that got blown out by Toledo in Starkville.

Reactions: Vol8188
I know the transitive property doesn’t work, but a 6 point home win against Florida isn’t any less impressive than a two-point home win over Cackalacky or a ten-point home win over an ABYSMAL Miss State team that got blown out by Toledo in Starkville.

Agree. They’re all about the same. Which is why we shouldn’t be panicking right now

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Remember Bryce Young? Yeah he was a RS FR at one time as well. And he looked light years better than Nico has.
Here's the thing. People are individuals. Nico and Bryce didn't play in the same groups growing up. Didn't have the same coaches, quality of competitions, innate abilities, or anything else. When I was a child, there was a girl who was my classmate from grade 1 - 6. She out ran all the boys, even some 2 years ahead of us class-wise. Same thing with arm wrestling, and no she wasn't a fatty, quite slim in fact. She was good at baseball too, but they wouldn't let her play because, being a good, she might get hurt. BS! She threw harder, ran faster, hit home runs. Point? Comparing Nico to Bryce or anybody else is ridiculous. Some folks are better physically, are more early experienced, were taught better, etc. than others. If you look at why certain players in the 1970s started using steroids, that testifies to the very things I just said. Look it up, The point is, they recognized certain natural, experience, and other factors disallows expecting equal performance.

Johnny Unitas could throw a ball farther than Bart Starr and more, he was a risk-taker, on his good days, you were better off not laying against him. But Vince Lombardi took a so and so Bart, and made him into an almost robot of efficiency, who won championships. Unitas didn't achieve that. You see, 2 + 2 doesn't really equal 4, because no two things are EXACTLY the same, not even when they are so-called identical twins.

Here's the thing. People are individuals. Nico and Bryce didn't play in the same groups growing up. Didn't have the same coaches, quality of competitions, innate abilities, or anything else. When I was a child, there was a girl who was my classmate from grade 1 - 6. She out ran all the boys, even some 2 years ahead of us class-wise. Same thing with arm wrestling, and no she wasn't a fatty, quite slim in fact. She was good at baseball too, but they wouldn't let her play because, being a good, she might get hurt. BS! She threw harder, ran faster, hit home runs. Point? Comparing Nico to Bryce or anybody else is ridiculous. Some folks are better physically, are more early experienced, were taught better, etc. than others. If you look at why certain players in the 1970s started using steroids, that testifies to the very things I just said. Look it up, The point is, they recognized certain natural, experience, and other factors disallows expecting equal performance.

Johnny Unitas could throw a ball farther than Bart Starr and more, he was a risk-taker, on his good days, you were better off not laying against him. But Vince Lombardi took a so and so Bart, and made him into an almost robot of efficiency, who won championships. Unitas didn't achieve that. You see, 2 + 2 doesn't really equal 4, because no two things are EXACTLY the same, not even when they are so-called identical twins.
Bryce is a bust in the NFL. Nico will not be!

Nico looks like an amateur at best. I hate to say it but he does. Are we talking Gaurtermo? Compton? It’s been a while since we’ve had a QB literally lock eyes with every guy he’s gonna throw it to this consistently.

He’s got a chance to be really good come his senior year, but it ain’t as guaranteed as people think it. Dude plays like a 7on7 qb

EDIT: Please stop calling him a freshman quarterback! Dude was here all last year. UF however did have a true freshman QB that gave us the business and prolly didn’t cost 8 mil
Who is Gaurtermo and Compton?😂😂

Stop. You said Nico is 6-1? No he most certainly is not. The QB starting record is the most ridiculous “stat” there is. You cannot sit there and think that we are winning games because of Nico. Because we aren’t. Its our defense that’s winning games.

You compare a true freshman Peyton Manning, who was playing in Fulmers offense, to RS FR Nico playing in the lost QB friendly offense there is? Give me a break. Nico is not a good QB.
Dumbest fan award, again this week.

Reactions: 508mikey
Nico looks like an amateur at best. I hate to say it but he does. Are we talking Gaurtermo? Compton? It’s been a while since we’ve had a QB literally lock eyes with every guy he’s gonna throw it to this consistently.

He’s got a chance to be really good come his senior year, but it ain’t as guaranteed as people think it. Dude plays like a 7on7 qb

EDIT: Please stop calling him a freshman quarterback! Dude was here all last year. UF however did have a true freshman QB that gave us the business and prolly didn’t cost 8 mil
Cry more, homie. Nico just started his 7th game. Go look at Peyton's first 7 starts. Perhaps football is too intense for you. Maybe go watch bowling or badminton.

VN Store

Back