Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Then you and the rest of the 'bros need to start by stopping with the Twitter statistics and drama and 7% death rate type nonsense. You see some story or stat that looks like things are falling apart and you all trip over yourselves to sell it without any kind of rational investigation or waiting for confirmation.
Iā€™d like for you to point out my drama, Twitter statistics, or any other ā€œnonsenseā€. Iā€™ll wait.

Iā€™d like for you to point out my drama, Twitter statistics, or any other ā€œnonsenseā€. Iā€™ll wait.

7%, the constant Twitter foolishness, 10k per day dying in India made up out of thin air....itā€™s you and a bunch of other yahooā€™s in here just making ā€˜ish up and posting worse case scenarios. Hell, go to a random @evillawyer post in this thread and there is a fair chance it is a Twitter post.

You guys canā€™t really be like this. It has to be trolling at this point.

Reactions: allvol123

The metric I use to measure normal is the chances of dying. If you are young and healthy the data shows pretty clearly things have been normal for you for almost the entire past year. You might get sick, you might show symptoms, you might get hospitalized...but it isn't any different than any other year with colds, flu, upper respiratory infections, etc... Anecdotally - I had asymptomatic flu and didn't even know it until I got a test with my COVID test, which came back negative.

For the majority of the world life should already be back to 100% normal. Let's be honest too - I don't want anybody to die, but this is what it is. Is everybody wearing a mask going to keep the obese 60 year-old diabetic from dying, if not from COVID than from anything else? Honestly, please, answer that for me. COVID is going to run through the population and it is going to do what it is going to do.

I think we knew enough roughly 6 months into this thing that we could manage it and be back to 100% normal for people in the low risk groups. That means all mandatory restrictions lifted including mask mandates. Mandating an across the board restriction for everybody is and continues to be stupid. Are you old? Are you sick? Are you obese? Do you have comorbid conditions we know are aggravating factors? Then yes - quarantine, wear a mask, and engage in virtual learning for school....be careful and take this very seriously until the herd immunity can be achieved naturally or through vaccinations.

For everyone else depending on age and health - the death risk is no different than the Flu In fact, if you are a healthy child, it is 0%.

Flying/traveling without a mask, working without a mask, in person meetings for work, being able to talk to my colleagues and customers face-to-face, normal school days for my child, going to a movie, socialize without distancing...
You are fooling yourself, have you seen what is happening in India?

You are fooling yourself, have you seen what is happening in India?
About the 10k dying a day?

Or that they are actually 1k off our peak with 4x the population?

They are the worst right now so it's getting flamed as the worst ever. As long as you dont actually define that ever as "ever".

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
For those who want to better understand the general health of India, "diarrheal illness," TB, and neonatal conditions all rank in the top-10 causes of mortality. Diarrhea alone kills several hundred thousand children every year.

None of those three conditions are in the top-10 in the U.S., and deaths from diarrheal illness and TB are quite uncommon.

For those who want to better understand the general health of India, "diarrheal illness," TB, and neonatal conditions all rank in the top-10 causes of mortality. Diarrhea alone kills several hundred thousand children every year.

None of those three conditions are in the top-10 in the U.S., and deaths from diarrheal illness and TB are quite uncommon.

Summation .. 3rd world country has 3rd world problems .

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
7%, the constant Twitter foolishness, 10k per day dying in India made up out of thin air....itā€™s you and a bunch of other yahooā€™s in here just making ā€˜ish up and posting worse case scenarios. Hell, go to a random @evillawyer post in this thread and there is a fair chance it is a Twitter post.

You guys canā€™t really be like this. It has to be trolling at this point.
Prove it. Quote something that Iā€™ve posted that you perceive as silly. You want to call me out? Back it up or have a seat.

How does the US stack up to comparable economically advantaged countries in overall infant mortality rates?

How does the US stack up to comparable economically advantaged countries in overall infant mortality rates?

Not easy to compare. Countries dont all go by the same definition.

American technology sometimes allows us to keep babies alive that other places wouldnt even attempt. Additionally you have to take into account things like drug use rates among pregnant women among the countries being compared.

But good try.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I clued him into some of the nuances already, he really isnt in to learning.
Sorry, I didn't read all the way through.

Having spent many months in the NICU during residency, I can tell you that we spare no heroic efforts for even the least likely to survive. 23-27 week premies are incredibly fragile.

Sorry, I didn't read all the way through.

Having spent many months in the NICU during residency, I can tell you that we spare no heroic efforts for even the least likely to survive. 23-27 week premies are incredibly fragile.

I believe you. And what a great cause to fight for.

It has been years, but I remember reading the vastly different methods by which countries measure infant mortality. If I remember correctly you see things like....if the baby dies in the first 24 hours or it cannot live without assistance, then it doesnt even count as an infant death. I am stating those off the cuff, so those might not be completely accurate but there were similar types of issues with how different countries count infant mortality.

Prove it. Quote something that Iā€™ve posted that you perceive as silly. You want to call me out? Back it up or have a seat.

7%

Iā€™ve quoted it several times in their thread so I donā€™t see the need to do it again. Claiming inside knowledge, throwing around ridiculous mortality numbers. It was ridiculous and embarrassing.

It's a little hard to understand, but there are some important nuances in that number. Read this:

Why American infant mortality rates are so high

TL;DR: The way we handle extreme prematurity is a huge factor
Oh I know that our OB & neonatal people are extremely capable, Iā€™ve trusted them completely with two of my own without question.

Iā€™m sure we arenā€™t the only country on these lists that counts extremely preterm births as births and subsequently count it as an infant mortality if the child doesnā€™t survive, though the countries that donā€™t count that way should be in a different category. I also know that our high-ish infant mortality rate has a lot to do with maternal factors. A lot of htn issues, eclampsia related problems, diabetes, etc. The rate of preterm and extremely preterm births is also relatively high if I remember correctly, again mainly due to maternal issues. A lot of high-risk pregnancies in this country.

7%

Iā€™ve quoted it several times in their thread so I donā€™t see the need to do it again. Claiming inside knowledge, throwing around ridiculous mortality numbers. It was ridiculous and embarrassing.
Great, pull up that quote, you can find it in this thread probably about 13 1/2 months ago. Also, what about the rest of it, surely you can find or think of a more recent example... canā€™t you?

Oh I know that our OB & neonatal people are extremely capable, Iā€™ve trusted them completely with two of my own without question.

Iā€™m sure we arenā€™t the only country on these lists that counts extremely preterm births as births and subsequently count it as an infant mortality if the child doesnā€™t survive, though the countries that donā€™t count that way should be in a different category. I also know that our high-ish infant mortality rate has a lot to do with maternal factors. A lot of htn issues, eclampsia related problems, diabetes, etc. The rate of preterm and extremely preterm births is also relatively high if I remember correctly, again mainly due to maternal issues. A lot of high-risk pregnancies in this country.

I agree with all of that, and I would emphasize maternal drug use as probably the most important issue. The resulting preterm labor, neonatal abstinence syndrome, and devastating effects on the developing CNS and CV systems are enormous problems in the world of neonatology and pediatrics.

Reactions: OHvol40

VN Store

Back