Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

I don’t think there is going to be a date where “the COVID pandemic is over”. People were warned at the beginning of this that pandemics are measured in seasons and years. I know that’s inconvenient for most, but it’s reality. Always has been.

I would say the simplest goal to set is % vaccinated. Countries are naturally going to try to vaccinate their own, but the goal needs to be worldwide %. Then, once the vaccination % is satisfactory or at least approaching it, monitoring outbreaks and allocating resources to those areas to try and tamp it down would be a priority. This is epidemiologically speaking of course.

Personally, I think we are on the downhill portion of massive danger, as well as on the upswing with study and understanding of the virus. Most things should be 100% open ASAP, although it’s getting harder to find things that aren’t “back to normal.”

So I guess that leads me to a question for you. What metric do you use to measure “normal?” How would you define “over?” At this point, what things are lacking in your life due to covid that you wish you had back?
For me it's normal is when there are no more expected requirements due to Covid. Governments no longer require masks or vaccines to enter their buildings or take transit. People dont freak out, or virtue signal, when someone is not wearing a mask, or is. Normal is when we treat this like any other disease and not the bubonic plague. "Oh, no you got Covid, hope you feel better, here is some campbells soup, now stay away so I dont get sick".

Reactions: FallCreekVols
For me it's normal is when there are no more expected requirements due to Covid. Governments no longer require masks or vaccines to enter their buildings or take transit. People dont freak out, or virtue signal, when someone is not wearing a mask, or is. Normal is when we treat this like any other disease and not the bubonic plague. "Oh, no you got Covid, hope you feel better, here is some campbells soup, now stay away so I dont get sick".
I’ll be happy when people stop whining about everyone else... sadly there is no end date in sight for that either.

Cedar Fair (Kings Island, Cedar Point, Carowinds, etc) has now done away with temp checks and masks when outside or under age 10.

Reactions: McDad
Actually I like the 6 ft thing. I never liked people breathing down my neck anyway. What I do not like is having to wear a mask and this study thinks masks are very effective:
Right, I got covid wearing a mask. I’m a huge doubting Thomas of effectiveness of masks.

Last edited:
I don’t think there is going to be a date where “the COVID pandemic is over”. People were warned at the beginning of this that pandemics are measured in seasons and years. I know that’s inconvenient for most, but it’s reality. Always has been.

I would say the simplest goal to set is % vaccinated. Countries are naturally going to try to vaccinate their own, but the goal needs to be worldwide %. Then, once the vaccination % is satisfactory or at least approaching it, monitoring outbreaks and allocating resources to those areas to try and tamp it down would be a priority. This is epidemiologically speaking of course.

Personally, I think we are on the downhill portion of massive danger, as well as on the upswing with study and understanding of the virus. Most things should be 100% open ASAP, although it’s getting harder to find things that aren’t “back to normal.”

So I guess that leads me to a question for you. What metric do you use to measure “normal?” How would you define “over?”

The metric I use to measure normal is the chances of dying. If you are young and healthy the data shows pretty clearly things have been normal for you for almost the entire past year. You might get sick, you might show symptoms, you might get hospitalized...but it isn't any different than any other year with colds, flu, upper respiratory infections, etc... Anecdotally - I had asymptomatic flu and didn't even know it until I got a test with my COVID test, which came back negative.

For the majority of the world life should already be back to 100% normal. Let's be honest too - I don't want anybody to die, but this is what it is. Is everybody wearing a mask going to keep the obese 60 year-old diabetic from dying, if not from COVID than from anything else? Honestly, please, answer that for me. COVID is going to run through the population and it is going to do what it is going to do.

I think we knew enough roughly 6 months into this thing that we could manage it and be back to 100% normal for people in the low risk groups. That means all mandatory restrictions lifted including mask mandates. Mandating an across the board restriction for everybody is and continues to be stupid. Are you old? Are you sick? Are you obese? Do you have comorbid conditions we know are aggravating factors? Then yes - quarantine, wear a mask, and engage in virtual learning for school....be careful and take this very seriously until the herd immunity can be achieved naturally or through vaccinations.

For everyone else depending on age and health - the death risk is no different than the Flu In fact, if you are a healthy child, it is 0%.

At this point, what things are lacking in your life due to covid that you wish you had back?

Flying/traveling without a mask, working without a mask, in person meetings for work, being able to talk to my colleagues and customers face-to-face, normal school days for my child, going to a movie, socialize without distancing...

Reactions: Sandman 423

Flying/traveling without a mask, working without a mask, in person meetings for work, being able to talk to my colleagues and customers face-to-face, normal school days for my child, going to a movie, socialize without distancing...

I'll add - doing my job without a mask and actually being able to see facial expressions and hear my students. Even things like going out in public with a cough without being treated like a leper would be nice. I have a head cold now and I'm not going anywhere just to avoid the hassle.

Honestly, I don't think we'll realize how much we've given up until we have it back for a while and realize "oh yeah, I couldn't do this for a year or so".

Those acting like this is all just a minor inconvenience so suck it up and stop complaining are as delusional as those who think Covid was a hoax.

I’ll be happy when people stop whining about everyone else... sadly there is no end date in sight for that either.

Then you and the rest of the 'bros need to start by stopping with the Twitter statistics and drama and 7% death rate type nonsense. You see some story or stat that looks like things are falling apart and you all trip over yourselves to sell it without any kind of rational investigation or waiting for confirmation.

Yw.
Watching and participating in the learning curve for covid was painful at best.
Amen. It's been one helluva 14 months in the world of medicine. I'm just incredibly thankful that we are in a great place with basically every metric, we haven't had any bad outcomes in any of our patients or staff, we have kept our practice running and staff employed, and life is largely back to normal here. Business has absolutely picked up -- tons of "quarantine babies" and normal viral illnesses finally circulating.

Thanks for what you've continued to do every day through this mess.

I'll add - doing my job without a mask and actually being able to see facial expressions and hear my students. Even things like going out in public with a cough without being treated like a leper would be nice. I have a head cold now and I'm not going anywhere just to avoid the hassle.

Honestly, I don't think we'll realize how much we've given up until we have it back for a while and realize "oh yeah, I couldn't do this for a year or so".

Those acting like this is all just a minor inconvenience so suck it up and stop complaining are as delusional as those who think Covid was a hoax.

Yep. We are already seeing it. Hell, in this thread even.

Indian Mother is Forced to Transport Her Son's Corpse on a Rickshaw after He Died as ambulances run out in Covid crisis, oxygen price gougers cash in with 1600% mark-ups and Patients Commit Suicide by Jumping Off Balconies

An Indian mother has been pictured transporting her son's corpse on a rickshaw after he died, as India's spiralling coronavirus crisis leaves many regions without ambulances, hospital beds and oxygen.

Meanwhile, desperate relatives have turned to the black market for medical supplies for those forced to seek treatment in their homes, as India recorded 2,812 Covid deaths overnight and infections in the last 24 hours rose to 352,991 on Monday - a record peak and a new global high for a fifth day running.

The price of an oxygen cylinder would typically cost around around $80 (6,000 rupees), but price gougers are cashing in on the huge demand and in some cases charging as much as $1,300 (50,000 rupees) per cylinder.

An Indian mother has been pictured transporting her son's corpse on a rickshaw after he died of Covid, as India's spiralling coronavirus crisis has left many regions without ambulances, hospital beds and oxygen, turning desperate relatives to the black market for medical supplies for those forced to seek treatment in their homes

India: Morgues run out of stretchers as deaths hit 2,800 a day | Daily Mail Online

Reactions: 508mikey
Right, I got covid wearing a mask. I’m a huge doubting Thomas of effectiveness of masks.

For decades we were told by the “experts” that masks did nothing to stop the spread of germs. Those who considered masking in public were ridiculed and told, “ you’ll just look silly, like those Asians walking through airports”.

Well said.
Especially the last part.

This has been extremely difficult on the elderly.

From what I remember of my 2 kids when they were 2,

tenor.gif

VN Store

Back